Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cordless Phone Question

This might be a bit off topic, but not sure where else to bring it. I
am looking at a multiple cordless phone(base unit with 2 extra hand
sets) to hook up to my VOIP phone line to have it throughout the
apartment. There are no phone wires through the apartment so I need
cordless through one land line. However, if I read one of the manuals
correctly I cannot use two phones at the same time, such as when my wife
and I want to be on the phone together in different rooms talking to
somebody. Is this true? Do you know of any multi handset phones that
will allow two handsets to be used at one time? Thanks.

Mike D.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Dobony wrote:
This might be a bit off topic, but not sure where else to bring it. I
am looking at a multiple cordless phone(base unit with 2 extra hand
sets) to hook up to my VOIP phone line to have it throughout the
apartment. There are no phone wires through the apartment so I need
cordless through one land line. However, if I read one of the manuals
correctly I cannot use two phones at the same time, such as when my wife
and I want to be on the phone together in different rooms talking to
somebody. Is this true? Do you know of any multi handset phones that
will allow two handsets to be used at one time? Thanks.

Mike D.

these 3 from Vtech claim to allow you to "conference an outside call".

see here
http://www.vtechphones.com/vtechui/s...m?parent=23086

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Check Consumer Reports out at the library.

In any case I would definitely only buy a digital spread spectrum phone that
sends your voice over several frequencies so no one can intercept the
conversation on a scanner. Consumer Reports rates other phones besides
spread spectrum phones. I would not buy them even if rated higher. You
have to sacrifice a bit of audio quality to buy a dss phone but for security
it is worth it especially if you have neighbors close by.

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
. net...
This might be a bit off topic, but not sure where else to bring it. I am
looking at a multiple cordless phone(base unit with 2 extra hand sets) to
hook up to my VOIP phone line to have it throughout the apartment. There
are no phone wires through the apartment so I need cordless through one
land line. However, if I read one of the manuals correctly I cannot use
two phones at the same time, such as when my wife and I want to be on the
phone together in different rooms talking to somebody. Is this true? Do
you know of any multi handset phones that will allow two handsets to be
used at one time? Thanks.

Mike D.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art wrote:
[...]

Hi,
What is such a secret in your phone traffic? You don't use internet?
Latest in cordless phone is DECT 6.0. FHSS can be intercepted. Cell
phone traqffic also can be intercepted.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Art wrote:
[...]

Do you ever buy stuff by credit card over the phone? Do you ever have to
call your bank and give them you password over the phone? I do. As for the
internet, that is why they have secure sites for buying stuff. And your
digital cell phone cannot be intercepted. Your analog cell phone could be
but if anyone still owns one they probably won't be able to use it next year
when the last analog system is turned off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 13, 2:31*pm, Abe wrote:

Many of the Panasonic 5.8 Ghz and Dect 6 phones have up to 4 way
conferenceing ability.

I have one of the Panasonic 5.8 sets - can and have conferenced all 4
phones at once.

Jerry
Posted to alt.home.repair

Art wrote:

Check Consumer Reports out at the library.

In any case I would definitely only buy a digital spread spectrum phone
that sends your voice over several frequencies so no one can intercept
the conversation on a scanner. Consumer Reports rates other phones
besides spread spectrum phones. I would not buy them even if rated
higher. You have to sacrifice a bit of audio quality to buy a dss phone
but for security it is worth it especially if you have neighbors close
by.

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
gy.net...

This might be a bit off topic, but not sure where else to bring it. I am
looking at a multiple cordless phone(base unit with 2 extra hand sets) to
hook up to my VOIP phone line to have it throughout the apartment. There
are no phone wires through the apartment so I need cordless through one
land line. However, if I read one of the manuals correctly I cannot use
two phones at the same time, such as when my wife and I want to be on the
phone together in different rooms talking to somebody. Is this true? Do
you know of any multi handset phones that will allow two handsets to be
used at one time? Thanks.

Mike D.

Hi,
What is such a secret in your phone traffic? CmCoYou don't use internet?
Latest in cordless phone is DECT 6.0. FHSS can be intercepted. Cell phone
traqffic also can be intercepted.

Do you ever buy stuff by credit card over the phone? Do you ever have to
call your bank and give them you password over the phone? I do. As for the
internet, that is why they have secure sites for buying stuff. And your
digital cell phone cannot be intercepted. Your analog cell phone could be
but if anyone still owns one they probably won't be able to use it next year
when the last analog system is turned off.

Hi,
I very SELDOM use credit card. I use CASH! I go to my bank in person.
It's tone's throw from my house.
You do sort of stupid things on your telephone. Secure means always
there is a hole, LOL! Who made it secure?
Cell phone interception is possible, just equipment for that is pretty
expensive. I spent all my life in communications. Lot of years on
military one; Stratcomm, IWCS, ICS, WWMCCOMM. I guess I know bit about
communications. Analog, Digital, Wired, Wireless(over the air, deep sea,
underground), Secured, Encrypted, Voice, Data, Telemetry, etc. You name it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Art wrote:

Check Consumer Reports out at the library.

In any case I would definitely only buy a digital spread spectrum phone
that sends your voice over several frequencies so no one can intercept
the conversation on a scanner. Consumer Reports rates other phones
besides spread spectrum phones. I would not buy them even if rated
higher. You have to sacrifice a bit of audio quality to buy a dss phone
but for security it is worth it especially if you have neighbors close
by.

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
igy.net...

[...]

Do you lock your door when you leave the house or do you leave the door
open? If the former, buy a DSS phone. If the latter go with a non-secure
phone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art wrote:

[...]

....and you write in the tempo of Morse! 8^)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 14:51:40 -0800 (PST), Jerry
wrote:

On Jan 13, 2:31*pm, Abe wrote:

Many of the Panasonic 5.8 Ghz and Dect 6 phones have up to 4 way
conferenceing ability.

I have one of the Panasonic 5.8 sets - can and have conferenced all 4
phones at once.

Jerry

My Uniden system (5.8 GHz, supports 10 handsets) allows 4-way
conferencing.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:

Art wrote:

[...]

Cheap mail or internet orders do not accept cash. I am not going to
drive or fly 1,000 miles to pay cash for something that can be ordered
over the phone and save me $20. I also do not want neighbors knowing
about the woman who comes to us about her sexual abuse and needs some
immediate encouragement, or any other forms of counseling. I do not
want neighbors knowing how much I paid for that run down house I just
bought to rehab and flip. I also do not want my neighbors knowing I am
planning on visiting my son for a week. Etc. There are lots of things
I don't want others to know about that is commonly discussed over the phone.

Maybe you don't care if your neighbor intercepts the call from your
daughter when she called you about coming home and finding her husband
in bed with your grandchild. That's your business if you don't care.

Mike D.

You do sort of stupid things on your telephone. Secure means always
there is a hole, LOL! Who made it secure?
Cell phone interception is possible, just equipment for that is pretty
expensive. I spent all my life in communications. Lot of years on
military one; Stratcomm, IWCS, ICS, WWMCCOMM. I guess I know bit about
communications. Analog, Digital, Wired, Wireless(over the air, deep sea,
underground), Secured, Encrypted, Voice, Data, Telemetry, etc. You name it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

Hi,
I very SELDOM use credit card. I use CASH! I go to my bank in person.
It's tone's throw from my house.

Cheap mail or internet orders do not accept cash. I am not going to
drive or fly 1,000 miles to pay cash for something that can be ordered
over the phone and save me $20.
Mike D.

You can travel for $20??????
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Dobony wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:

Art wrote:

[...]

You certainly go off the deep-end!
I have a facility with 72 cordless phones...one per person and their
own number (outside line). These are varied technologies (900Mh,2.8Mh,
5.8Mh).
It is my job to keep them working. In 9 years I have never heard or
heard of any conversation intercepted by another user.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 18, 6:09*am, wrote:
Mike Dobony wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:

Art wrote:

[...]

heard of any conversation intercepted by another user.- Hide quoted text -

If you've never heard of anyone intercepting any cordless phone
conversation, you shouldn't be managing any facilities phone or
security systems. With analog cordless phones, it was common for
this to occur. They even talked about how to change the channels in
the manual if your neighbor happened to have one on the same
frequency. Not a significant problem in single family homes in rural
locations. But if you lived in a city, apartment building, condo,
etc. it wasn't unusual at all. I picked up a neighbors call on mine
one day when I went to make a call. The neighbor was talking loud
and clear as a bell.

The advice to get a spread spectrum cordless is sound. It provides a
very reasonable measure of security. Now, someone has already said
that can be intercepted too. And that's true, but it can't be done
casually by having a similar phone. It would require some very
specialized, expensive and illegal eqpt.

Question about cordless phone battery Daave Electronics Repair 26 April 21st 07 09:05 PM
Question about cordless phone battery Daave Home Repair 26 April 21st 07 09:05 PM
Cordless Phone Kathy Home Repair 11 March 10th 05 03:40 PM
cordless phone yuvaraj Home Ownership 4 November 30th 03 02:25 PM
Cordless Phone Frequency Question lcoe Electronics Repair 2 August 18th 03 11:42 PM