Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hose Across driveway

Hi,

I want to water a patch of grass the other side of my driverway. Is
there a good way to get a hose across there?

I am concerned about hose damage due to rolling over it with a car. I
looked at Linebacker rubber hose protectors, but at $US 119 per 3
feet, that is a $US 350 to a 9 foot wide driver way. Is there a
cheaper way? Is there a hose that will take being run over repeatedly
by cars?

Someone mentioned Flexogen hose pipes, will these do the trick?

Best, Mike.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"hobbes" wrote in message
Hi,

I want to water a patch of grass the other side of my driverway. Is
there a good way to get a hose across there?

I am concerned about hose damage due to rolling over it with a car. I
looked at Linebacker rubber hose protectors, but at $US 119 per 3
feet, that is a $US 350 to a 9 foot wide driver way. Is there a
cheaper way? Is there a hose that will take being run over repeatedly
by cars?

Someone mentioned Flexogen hose pipes, will these do the trick?

Best, Mike.

Lay the hose between two 1 x 2's and just drive over it. The little
pressure you do put on it will not harm it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

hobbes wrote:

Hi,

I want to water a patch of grass the other side of my driverway. Is
there a good way to get a hose across there?

I am concerned about hose damage due to rolling over it with a car. I
looked at Linebacker rubber hose protectors, but at $US 119 per 3
feet, that is a $US 350 to a 9 foot wide driver way. Is there a
cheaper way? Is there a hose that will take being run over repeatedly
by cars?

Someone mentioned Flexogen hose pipes, will these do the trick?

Best, Mike.

how about 2ea 2x4 and some spacers on each end to keep
them in place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"hobbes" wrote in message
Hi,

I want to water a patch of grass the other side of my driverway. Is
there a good way to get a hose across there?

I am concerned about hose damage due to rolling over it with a car. I
looked at Linebacker rubber hose protectors, but at $US 119 per 3
feet, that is a $US 350 to a 9 foot wide driver way. Is there a
cheaper way? Is there a hose that will take being run over repeatedly
by cars?

Someone mentioned Flexogen hose pipes, will these do the trick?

Best, Mike.

As mentioned a couple of boards for about $ 5 each would do. Maybe 2 2x4s
and bevle one edge of each.

Can you support the hose with some ladders you have or other things to get
your hose up high enough to drive under ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

hobbes wrote:

Hi,

I want to water a patch of grass the other side of my driverway. Is
there a good way to get a hose across there?

I am concerned about hose damage due to rolling over it with a car. I
looked at Linebacker rubber hose protectors, but at $US 119 per 3
feet, that is a $US 350 to a 9 foot wide driver way. Is there a
cheaper way? Is there a hose that will take being run over repeatedly
by cars?

Someone mentioned Flexogen hose pipes, will these do the trick?

Best, Mike.

Two lengths of pvc pipe the diameter of the hose or a little larger, two
bungee cords.

Or a larger section of pvc that you can insert the hose through.

Now, if you are for technically advanced methods, get a chunk of pvc
pipe, put a hose fitting on each end and hook it up to hoses. For added
glamour, you can put a fitting
at the center of the pipe to attach a rotating sprinkler so the kids can
play in the water and the dog can get a drink.

Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

hobbes wrote:

Hi,

I want to water a patch of grass the other side of my driverway. Is
there a good way to get a hose across there?

I am concerned about hose damage due to rolling over it with a car. I
looked at Linebacker rubber hose protectors, but at $US 119 per 3
feet, that is a $US 350 to a 9 foot wide driver way. Is there a
cheaper way? Is there a hose that will take being run over repeatedly
by cars?

Someone mentioned Flexogen hose pipes, will these do the trick?

Best, Mike.

If the hose is on, the pressure in the hose will be somewhere around 50 psi.
The pressure in your tires is around 30 psi.
I suspect that you will not completely flatten the hose.
Just don't drive over the fittings.

Of course, laying 2x4's next to the hose sounds like a good idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"hobbes" wrote in message
Hi,

I want to water a patch of grass the other side of my driverway. Is
there a good way to get a hose across there?

I am concerned about hose damage due to rolling over it with a car. I
looked at Linebacker rubber hose protectors, but at $US 119 per 3
feet, that is a $US 350 to a 9 foot wide driver way. Is there a
cheaper way? Is there a hose that will take being run over repeatedly
by cars?

Someone mentioned Flexogen hose pipes, will these do the trick?

Best, Mike.

Don't drive over the hose. That's easy. Or, buy more hose so you can route
it in a way that it doesn't block traffic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

M Q wrote:
hobbes wrote:

Hi,

I want to water a patch of grass the other side of my driverway. Is
there a good way to get a hose across there?

I am concerned about hose damage due to rolling over it with a car. I
looked at Linebacker rubber hose protectors, but at $US 119 per 3
feet, that is a $US 350 to a 9 foot wide driver way. Is there a
cheaper way? Is there a hose that will take being run over repeatedly
by cars?

Someone mentioned Flexogen hose pipes, will these do the trick?

Best, Mike.

If the hose is on, the pressure in the hose will be somewhere around
50 psi. The pressure in your tires is around 30 psi.
I suspect that you will not completely flatten the hose.
Just don't drive over the fittings.

Of course, laying 2x4's next to the hose sounds like a good idea.

1 x 3's would be simpler, cheaper, and easier to drive over and would
still prevent the pinching of the hose, which is what ruins them.

Or put a 10' piece of galvanized pipe across it with hose fittings on
each end, and drive over that. Stake it at each end so it won't spin
into the next county if someone steps on the gas.

Or route it inside the garage & lock the doors.

Or route it inside the garage, above car level.

Or get the hose out, water, and pick the hose up!

Sheesh!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just drive on it. Hell, we drive on them all the time in a gravel lot, and
they last all summer that way. I doubt you'd drive over your hose enough in
a lifetime to damage it.

"hobbes" wrote in message
Hi,

I want to water a patch of grass the other side of my driverway. Is
there a good way to get a hose across there?

I am concerned about hose damage due to rolling over it with a car. I
looked at Linebacker rubber hose protectors, but at $US 119 per 3
feet, that is a $US 350 to a 9 foot wide driver way. Is there a
cheaper way? Is there a hose that will take being run over repeatedly
by cars?

Someone mentioned Flexogen hose pipes, will these do the trick?

Best, Mike.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"S. Barker" wrote:

Just drive on it. Hell, we drive on them all the time in a gravel lot, and
they last all summer that way. I doubt you'd drive over your hose enough in
a lifetime to damage it.

A neighbor has had a hose for watering cattle across the county road all
summer (drought) and it survived all the traffic including heavy gravel
trucks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 12, 2:36*pm, hobbes wrote:
Hi,

I want to water a patch of grass the other side of my driverway. Is
there a good way to get a hose across there?

I am concerned about hose damage due to rolling over it with a car. I
looked at Linebacker rubber hose protectors, but at $US 119 per 3
feet, that is a $US 350 to a 9 foot wide driver way. Is there a
cheaper way? Is there a hose that will take being run over repeatedly
by cars?

Someone mentioned Flexogen hose pipes, will these do the trick?

Best, Mike.

Tape it to the side of a 2x4 laid flat on the driveway.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 11:36:16 -0800 (PST), hobbes
wrote:

Hi,

I want to water a patch of grass the other side of my driverway. Is
there a good way to get a hose across there?

I am concerned about hose damage due to rolling over it with a car. I
looked at Linebacker rubber hose protectors, but at $US 119 per 3
feet, that is a $US 350 to a 9 foot wide driver way. Is there a
cheaper way? Is there a hose that will take being run over repeatedly
by cars?

They all will. Even the cheapest will let you drive over it 30 to 600
times before it starts to leak. So use the least valuable hose you
have, and report back to us how many times you drove over it before
your grass was established and you stopped, or before it leaks,
whichever comes first. I'll bet it doesn't leak at all.

The 1 x 2's, or 2 x 4's, depending on the diameter of the hose, do
sound like a good idea.

But this is a lot like putting an electric cord under a carpet. Or
driving over one. The cord under the carpet will last probably for
years, but the problem, when it does fail, you won't know it in
advance and it can start a fire. When your hose starts to fail, it
will spray water out the little hole, or the big hole, which will run
down the driveway into the gutter and into the drain, until you get
home and stop it. Or maybe you'll be home, or be arriving home, and
stop it right away.

Someone mentioned Flexogen hose pipes, will these do the trick?

Best, Mike.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all for your kind help.

Much obliged. Warmest regards, Mike.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I have high water pressure here, and don't have to drive over the
hose. That is, if it was left under pressure. I try to turn off the
water when not using it.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to hobbes, SeanE wrote:

I am in a similar situation like you. I need to put a hose across my
driveway. I am curious what approach you took? Can you please share what
you ended up doing?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SeanE" wrote in message
roups.com...

I am in a similar situation like you. I need to put a hose across my
driveway. I am curious what approach you took? Can you please share what
you ended up doing?

The simple ways of shielding a hose are to run it through a
pipe strong enough to resist vehicles' weight, or else
between a pair of 2x4 timbers.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 May 2015 11:39:55 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

"SeanE" wrote in message
groups.com...

I am in a similar situation like you. I need to put a hose across my
driveway. I am curious what approach you took? Can you please share what
you ended up doing?

The simple ways of shielding a hose are to run it through a
pipe strong enough to resist vehicles' weight, or else
between a pair of 2x4 timbers.

+1 on the 2X4 idea. A scrap of wood tacked on them, will hold the
hose in a 'trough'. Used on construction sites. Same with power
extension cords on a job site.

I don't have a problem at home since I do not drive over the water
hose on the driveway. I must be different...
--
"We recommend using your hand to replace the fuse as it will take much longer using your knee."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 12, 2008 at 1:36:16 PM UTC-6, hobbes wrote:
Hi,

I want to water a patch of grass the other side of my driverway. Is
there a good way to get a hose across there?

I am concerned about hose damage due to rolling over it with a car. I
looked at Linebacker rubber hose protectors, but at $US 119 per 3
feet, that is a $US 350 to a 9 foot wide driver way. Is there a
cheaper way? Is there a hose that will take being run over repeatedly
by cars?

Someone mentioned Flexogen hose pipes, will these do the trick?

Best, Mike.

I've driven over a hose on the driveway for years with little effect. Hoses are not that expensive; if it does get damaged consider buying fittings and either cutting out that section or, if you need the length, splicing in a new piece.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to S. Barker, FrankinVA wrote:
ichasetrains wrote:

Just drive on it. Hell, we drive on them all the time in a gravel lot,

and
they last all summer that way. I doubt you'd drive over your hose enough

in
a lifetime to damage it.
"hobbes" wrote in message

I have had a heavy duty garden hose across and asphalt driveway for less
that a month and it is starting to leak where it gets pinched against the
tiny pieces of rock. what are you using fire hoses????

Posted to alt.home.repair

"hobbes" wrote in message

I have had a heavy duty garden hose across and asphalt driveway for less
that a month and it is starting to leak where it gets pinched against the
tiny pieces of rock. what are you using fire hoses????

Commercial grade rubber hose is real heavy duty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 12, 2008 at 2:36:16 PM UTC-5, hobbes wrote:
Hi,

I want to water a patch of grass the other side of my driverway. Is
there a good way to get a hose across there?

I am concerned about hose damage due to rolling over it with a car. I
looked at Linebacker rubber hose protectors, but at $US 119 per 3
feet, that is a $US 350 to a 9 foot wide driver way. Is there a
cheaper way? Is there a hose that will take being run over repeatedly
by cars?

Someone mentioned Flexogen hose pipes, will these do the trick?

Best, Mike.

Go buy a pvc pipe that you can fit your hose in turn on the water and shove the hose in the pvc pipe under the driveway. Kinda like fracking.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"hobbes" wrote in message

I have had a heavy duty garden hose across and asphalt driveway for less
that a month and it is starting to leak where it gets pinched against the
tiny pieces of rock. what are you using fire hoses????

Commercial grade rubber hose is real heavy duty.

Hey Tony, do you think the OP may have found a solution during the past 7 years? Anyway, I have a suggestion for anyone else who runs into the same problem. It's rubber duct cord cover like you see in offices where it's necessary to run power and/or network cable across a path on the floor. You can buy new for not that much money or go to a used office furniture dealer to see if they have any that was salvaged from a closed business. Here's a link to Amazon which sells one that is 5 feet long and has a 3/4 inch center channel. There are others that are 15 feet long but I didn't see the size of the center channel listed for them. ^_^

https://tinyurl.com/phb4urc

[8~{} Uncle Hoser Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to nick hull, Stef wrote:
i live in the country and move the hose alot, dont want to deal with 2x4's
etc. do you have any idea of the hose your neighbor used? thanks, i've go a
gravel drive and live on a gravel road....thanks nick, stef

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ay-281094-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Tony Hwang, Mommaroo wrote:
Stainless steel hose will not kink, flatten, break down from dry rot, leak or
rust. I have driven my car over mine numerous times.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ay-281094-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Twayne, Lauren Wells Clark wrote:
I am planting a terraced garden outside the gate of the ranch house, and after
the first year, the garden has to live on its own with no additional water.
For me, putting my hoses between 2 x 4's is genius! Ranch work is Unending,
and a little thing like moving hoses would stop me in my tracks!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ay-281094-.htm