Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stench in my basement

My freezer failed last month and almost all of
the meat and all of the fish had to be tossed.
The repairman said the controller needed to be
replaced. He is coming back next week to do
that, He also said they would have reimbursed
me for the spoiled food, if I had purchased the
protection plan! Maybe I shoulc have done that.

My problem is the stench is still in my basement,
I keep the door open to make it bearable. This
afternoon I am going to lay it on its side and
clean the underside. Any ideas for making this
place smell livable?

Dick
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
My freezer failed last month and almost all of
the meat and all of the fish had to be tossed.
The repairman said the controller needed to be
replaced. He is coming back next week to do
that, He also said they would have reimbursed
me for the spoiled food, if I had purchased the
protection plan! Maybe I shoulc have done that.

My problem is the stench is still in my basement,
I keep the door open to make it bearable. This
afternoon I am going to lay it on its side and
clean the underside. Any ideas for making this
place smell livable?

Dick

What's contaminated? Just the freezer, or surfaces around it like the floor?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 12, 9:43*am, (Dick Adams) wrote:
My freezer failed last month and almost all of
the meat and all of the fish had to be tossed.
The repairman said the controller needed to be
replaced. *He is coming back next week to do
that, *He also said they would have reimbursed
me for the spoiled food, if I had purchased the
protection plan! *Maybe I shoulc have done that.

My problem is the stench is still in my basement,
I keep the door open to make it bearable. *This
afternoon I am going to lay it on its side and
clean the underside. *Any ideas for making this
place smell livable?

Dick

Spray it down with bleach and wash it good.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 12, 9:43*am, (Dick Adams) wrote:

snip

This afternoon I am going to lay it on its side and
clean the underside. *

snip

Keep in mind that fridges and freezers can be damaged by laying down
and subsequent start up. One recommendation is to keep it upright a
day or so before restarting. Your repairman would likely know the best
answer. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dick,

An open box of baking soda in the freezer will work after you've washed
down the contaminated surfaces. It takes a long time though. In the meatime
spray around large quantities of air freshener and air out the basement if
it isn't too cold.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 12, 9:43*am, (Dick Adams) wrote:
My freezer failed last month and almost all of
the meat and all of the fish had to be tossed.
The repairman said the controller needed to be
replaced. *He is coming back next week to do
that, *He also said they would have reimbursed
me for the spoiled food, if I had purchased the
protection plan! *Maybe I shoulc have done that.

My problem is the stench is still in my basement,
I keep the door open to make it bearable. *This
afternoon I am going to lay it on its side and
clean the underside. *Any ideas for making this
place smell livable?

Dick

Have you tried Febreze? Might be less rough on plastic components. Not
sure whether a restoration outfit like Servcemaster could help, but
might be worth a phone call. HTH

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
On Jan 12, 9:43 am, (Dick Adams) wrote:

My freezer failed last month and almost all of
the meat and all of the fish had to be tossed.
The repairman said the controller needed to be
replaced. He is coming back next week to do
that, He also said they would have reimbursed
me for the spoiled food, if I had purchased the
protection plan! Maybe I shoulc have done that.

My problem is the stench is still in my basement,
I keep the door open to make it bearable. This
afternoon I am going to lay it on its side and
clean the underside. Any ideas for making this
place smell livable?

Dick

Have you tried Febreze? Might be less rough on plastic components. Not
sure whether a restoration outfit like Servcemaster could help, but
might be worth a phone call. HTH

Joe

Look carefully at what Febreeze is. I'm concerned that it is dangerous
to use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 4/7/2008 6:07 PM Boden said the following:
Joe wrote:
[...]

Ingredients:
"Contains water, alcohol, odor eliminator derived from corn, organic
polymer, fragrance. Contains no phosphate".

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

dead wasp nest and the lingering stench of death! Cookie UK diy 33 October 2nd 19 11:13 AM
Sudden unbearable stench from attic [email protected] Home Ownership 11 April 27th 07 12:47 AM
Oh, the stench Andrew Gabriel UK diy 6 November 16th 05 03:50 PM
Advice needed on new basement - sump hole higher than rest of basement Doug Swetland Home Ownership 1 September 24th 03 07:09 PM
Advice needed on new basement - sump hole higher than rest of basement james w lazenby Home Ownership 1 September 23rd 03 05:04 PM