Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Mighty Putty" On TV ?

Hello,

Anyone know anything about this product called "Mighty Putty" that always
seems to be advertised
by some pitchman on TV ?

What is it made of ?

Waterproof ?

Any good ? For what ?

B.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Probably it is not something new. I got the same kind of stuff years ago
when I think it was called plumber's epoxy (or something like that) that was
a different color.
Don't get suckered by the demo of pulling a truck. It is not the surface
application that is doing the job. The demo setup pushes the epoxy into all
the holes in the plate. The total cross section of the epoxy in the holes is
a lot more than any realistic use would have.

Check your local big box or other hardware store for a similar product. Buy
one and try it out. No need to buy multiple amounts that you don't need
now.

Charlie

"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..
Hello,

Anyone know anything about this product called "Mighty Putty" that always
seems to be advertised
by some pitchman on TV ?

What is it made of ?

Waterproof ?

Any good ? For what ?

B.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 7, 1:32*pm, "Robert11" wrote:
Hello,

Anyone know anything about this product called "Mighty Putty" that always
seems to be advertised
by some pitchman on TV ?

What is it made of ?

Waterproof ?

Any good ? * For what ?

We got some similar stuff at Ace Hardware. We've used it once, as a
temporary patch in the eavestrough (gutter). Most of the uses they
show
in the commercial are garbage. It makes my husband shout at the tv
every time it's on.

Drywall patch is cheaper and better for fixing drywall.

If you use it on the PVC fitting as they show, the plumber who
ultimately
has to fix the actual problem will have to saw the joint out and
replace
the fitting. It seems to me that you could fix that problem by just
tightening the big ol' PVC nut.

Let's see--what else do they use it for? As an adhesive, I'd rather
trust
some appropriate glue than a putty that will take up space in the
repair.

They use it as a wood putty and paint over it. Wood putty is cheaper
and probably more paintable.

I'd never make a replacement cup handle out of it. It's just plain
ugly.

For every use they make of it, there's something far better. However,
we
do have one roll of it in the junk drawer, in case some problem
appears
where it would be the ideal thing. A single roll isn't terribly
expensive,
but there's no point buying half a dozen at once, as Charlie Bress
pointed
out.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

[...]

It's useful for locking an elevator light switch in the on position when
some idiot keeps turning it off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 7, 2:54*pm, Cindy Hamilton
wrote:
[...]

Unless of course the fitting in question doesn't have a big ol' PVC
nut *and* the putty fixes the actual problem.

When the glue joint began to leak on the seam of the PVC trap shown
here I used some epoxy putty to reseal it:

http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/p...4_front500.jpg

Not repairing it in place as I did would have meant sawing out just
about everything from where the drain exited the disposal to where it
went into the floor. The epoxy putty lasted for many years until the
disposal failed - at which point I had to replace it all anyway. A
couple of bucks and 15 minutes isn't bad for what amounted to a
permanent repair.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 7, 1:32 pm, "Robert11" wrote:
Hello,

Anyone know anything about this product called "Mighty Putty" that always
seems to be advertised
by some pitchman on TV ?

What is it made of ?

Epoxy resin, hardener, and inert filler.

Waterproof ?

Any good ? For what ?

B.

Good for jamming someone's lock, if that's what you want
to know.

Overpriced. Oatey Plumber's Epoxy Putty sold for $2.00 a
tube last time I bought some.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

For every use they make of it, there's something far better. However,
we
do have one roll of it in the junk drawer, in case some problem
appears
where it would be the ideal thing. A single roll isn't terribly
expensive,
but there's no point buying half a dozen at once, as Charlie Bress
pointed
out.

Shelf life isn't all that great. Gets lumpy as the two parts react
from
being in contact. No sense buying more than one tube to go bad in a
year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.devcon.com/devconfamilypr...m?familyid=116

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Well, yeah. But the one they showed in the commercial did, and
my husband would kick my ass (figuratively speaking) if I crapped
up that sort of joint with epoxy putty. As I said, we've used the
epoxy putty before, where it's appropriate.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

For every use they make of it, there's something far better. However,
we
do have one roll of it in the junk drawer, in case some problem
appears
where it would be the ideal thing. A single roll isn't terribly
expensive,
but there's no point buying half a dozen at once, as Charlie Bress
pointed
out.

Shelf life isn't all that great. Gets lumpy as the two parts react
from
being in contact. No sense buying more than one tube to go bad in a
year.

To that point I'll mention that I keep all my epoxies and superglues in
our kitchen freezer door shelf and their working life seems limitless.

It only takes a few minutes to bring them back to room temperature when
needed.

I've got some rather costly electrically conductive epoxy that's been in
there at least ten years and when I occasionally need a small amount to
bridge some unsolderable joint the stuff works as well as it did when I
first got it.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:

Robert11 wrote:

Hello,

Anyone know anything about this product called "Mighty Putty" that
always seems to be advertised
by some pitchman on TV ?

What is it made of ?

Waterproof ?

Any good ? For what ?

B.

As others point out it is available at any hardware store. I have not
found it good for leaks.

BTW, I hate that fat bearded loudmouth that is yell to hawk his
expensive stuff

Billy Mays? I can't say I enjoy his style much either, but I'd sure like
to be receiving the kind of income he makes doing his thing. G

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Mays

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert11" wrote in
:

Hello,

Anyone know anything about this product called "Mighty Putty" that
always seems to be advertised
by some pitchman on TV ?

What is it made of ?

Waterproof ?

Any good ? For what ?

It's good for Billy Mays, the pitchman. I bet he could sell an air
inflator that boasts "real U.S. air" vs ones that come from overseas.

B.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 13:55:22 -0600, Red Green
wrote:

"Robert11" wrote in
:

Hello,

Anyone know anything about this product called "Mighty Putty" that
always seems to be advertised
by some pitchman on TV ?

What is it made of ?

Waterproof ?

Any good ? For what ?

It's good for Billy Mays, the pitchman. I bet he could sell an air
inflator that boasts "real U.S. air" vs ones that come from overseas.

AND then! He will sell space suit fart detectors.

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 8, 4:39*pm, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 13:55:22 -0600, Red Green
wrote:

"Robert11" wrote in
:

Hello,

Anyone know anything about this product called "Mighty Putty" that
always seems to be advertised
by some pitchman on TV ?

What is it made of ?

Waterproof ?

Any good ? * For what ?

It's good for Billy Mays, the pitchman. I bet he could sell an air
inflator that boasts "real U.S. air" vs ones that come from overseas.

AND then! He will sell space suit fart detectors.

Oren

I didn't know that space suits farted. They should get that
fixed...it could send an a'naut into orbit!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

It's good for Billy Mays, the pitchman. I bet he could sell an air
inflator that boasts "real U.S. air" vs ones that come from overseas.

AND then! He will sell space suit fart detectors.

Oren

I didn't know that space suits farted. They should get that
fixed...it could send an a'naut into orbit!

Ever fart in the shower stall? I can't imagine what would happen is a space
suit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 8, 9:17*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

Ever fart in the shower stall? *I can't imagine what would happen is a space
suit.

My husband used to have a job where he had to wear a cleanroom suit.
He referred to it as the Evil White Chimney. I imagine a space suit
would be worse.

Cindy Hamilton