DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Chimney hole (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/228784-chimney-hole.html)

JEEPR January 5th 08 08:54 PM

Chimney hole

I have an 11 inch diameter hole, for an old fire place chimney stack in the
basement foundation. The foundation is cinder block. I have currently sealed
off the hole from the outside of the basement with a overlapping sheet of
1/4 inch plywood.
What is the best way to seal or plug this large hole? Also is any
reinforcing needed depending on method used?

Joe January 5th 08 10:56 PM

Chimney hole

On Jan 5, 2:54*pm, "JEEPR" wrote:
I have an 11 inch diameter hole, for an old fire place chimney stack in the
basement foundation. The foundation is cinder block. I have currently sealed
off the hole from the outside of the basement with a overlapping sheet of
1/4 inch plywood.
What is the best way to seal or plug this large hole? Also is any
reinforcing needed depending on method used?

Mortar mix with a lot of clean brick, block or stone rubble is one
possibility. Block the inside as you go to keep it in place until it
sets and work from the outside to inside. Doesn't need anything fancy,
just chunks of whatever is compatible with the mortar. HTH

Joe

Harry K January 6th 08 04:14 PM

Chimney hole

On Jan 5, 2:56*pm, Joe wrote:
On Jan 5, 2:54*pm, "JEEPR" wrote:

I have an 11 inch diameter hole, for an old fire place chimney stack in the
basement foundation. The foundation is cinder block. I have currently sealed
off the hole from the outside of the basement with a overlapping sheet of
1/4 inch plywood.
What is the best way to seal or plug this large hole? Also is any
reinforcing needed depending on method used?

Mortar mix with a lot of clean brick, block or stone rubble is one
possibility. Block the inside as you go to keep it in place until it
sets and work from the outside to inside. Doesn't need anything fancy,
just chunks of whatever is compatible with the mortar. HTH

Joe

That was my approach to fillign in a windo, old plumbing holes, etc.
When done it is good to put a good coat of waterproofing on the
outside if it will be below grade.

Harry K