DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cabinet Drawer Help Needed (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/228652-cabinet-drawer-help-needed.html)

Dottie January 5th 08 12:06 AM

Cabinet Drawer Help Needed

We had new cabinets custom made three years ago. One of the drawers
would sometimes open by itself ... but it was just an occasional
thing. For the past week or so, the drawer opens repeatedly. We
close it, a few seconds later it pops out again. It is the main
silverware drawer and the only one large enough to hold silverware so
I can't stop using it. Does anyone know what might cause this? Why
would it suddenly start doing this now? I have no idea what to do to
fix it. Anybody else know?

Joe January 5th 08 12:52 AM

Cabinet Drawer Help Needed

On Jan 4, 6:06*pm, Dottie wrote:
We had new cabinets custom made three years ago. One of the drawers
would sometimes open by itself ... but it was just an occasional
thing. *For the past week or so, the drawer opens repeatedly. *We
close it, a few seconds later it pops out again. *It is the main
silverware drawer and the only one large enough to hold silverware so
I can't stop using it. *Does anyone know what might cause this? *Why
would it suddenly start doing this now? *I have no idea what to do to
fix it. *Anybody else know?

The drawer tracks are running downhill either because of mis-
installation, or the cabinet has been shimmed wrong. You may have
monster granite countertops crushing the cabinet structure and making
the tilt. Look at leveling the drawer tracks first as that will be the
most likely and simplest solution. HTH

Joe

David L. Martel January 5th 08 12:53 AM

Cabinet Drawer Help Needed

Dottie,

Get a level and see whether that drawer or that cabinet is level. Correct
the level problem if there is one. If that's not the problem or fixing it
would be too much work, consider installing a magnetic catch like those used
for cabinet doors. Google door catches for other options but the magnets are
easy.

Dave M.

Edwin Pawlowski January 5th 08 02:55 AM

Cabinet Drawer Help Needed

"Joe" wrote in message

The drawer tracks are running downhill either because of mis-
installation, or the cabinet has been shimmed wrong. You may have
monster granite countertops crushing the cabinet structure and making
the tilt. Look at leveling the drawer tracks first as that will be the
most likely and simplest solution. HTH

Joe

Or could be some house settling on top of that. Check the floor level also.

PaPaPeng January 5th 08 07:27 AM

Cabinet Drawer Help Needed

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 19:53:34 -0500, "David L. Martel"
wrote:

Dottie,

Get a level and see whether that drawer or that cabinet is level. Correct
the level problem if there is one. If that's not the problem or fixing it
would be too much work, consider installing a magnetic catch like those used
for cabinet doors. Google door catches for other options but the magnets are
easy.

Dave M.

Or a childproof plastic hook latch from the Dollar Store.

HeyBub[_2_] January 5th 08 12:43 PM

Cabinet Drawer Help Needed

Dottie wrote:
We had new cabinets custom made three years ago. One of the drawers
would sometimes open by itself ... but it was just an occasional
thing. For the past week or so, the drawer opens repeatedly. We
close it, a few seconds later it pops out again. It is the main
silverware drawer and the only one large enough to hold silverware so
I can't stop using it. Does anyone know what might cause this? Why
would it suddenly start doing this now? I have no idea what to do to
fix it. Anybody else know?

Something in the drawer wants out?