DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   leak around base of furnace exhaust pipe (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/228616-leak-around-base-furnace-exhaust-pipe.html)

Dave January 4th 08 04:57 PM

leak around base of furnace exhaust pipe

I have a new Goodman GMH95 furnace, installed several months ago.

Recently I've noticed water gathering around the base of the exhaust
pipe. I've wiped it away and watched it slowly accumulate around the
base, as if it's coming from the coupling of the pipe to the furnace
itself (not from some exterior source). The screws holding the
coupling to the furnace are rusting, so evidently this has been
happening for a while but I just noticed it recently.

Any ideas as to why this might be happening? Should I just apply a
sealant around the pipe where it joins the coupling? Thanks in
advance.

David L. Martel January 4th 08 05:19 PM

leak around base of furnace exhaust pipe

Dave,

Since this furnace was installed several months ago give the installer a
call. He needs to come out, look at the problem, and come up with a
solution. It's called customer service.

Dave M.

[email protected] January 4th 08 05:51 PM

leak around base of furnace exhaust pipe

On Jan 4, 11:57*am, Dave wrote:

If it's coming out of the exhaust, it's possible that it's flue gas
condensate. If that's the case, it's either somewhat corrosive (gas
heat) or very corrosive (oil heat). Is your furnace one of those
brand new high efficiency units (with commensurately very low exhaust
temperatures)? Chimney is on an outside wall of the house?

Bob F January 4th 08 06:42 PM

"Dave" wrote in message
I have a new Goodman GMH95 furnace, installed several months ago.

Recently I've noticed water gathering around the base of the exhaust
pipe. I've wiped it away and watched it slowly accumulate around the
base, as if it's coming from the coupling of the pipe to the furnace
itself (not from some exterior source). The screws holding the
coupling to the furnace are rusting, so evidently this has been
happening for a while but I just noticed it recently.

Any ideas as to why this might be happening? Should I just apply a
sealant around the pipe where it joins the coupling? Thanks in
advance.

This should be an issue for the installer.

Zyp January 4th 08 09:48 PM

Bob F wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
I have a new Goodman GMH95 furnace, installed several months ago.

Recently I've noticed water gathering around the base of the exhaust
pipe. I've wiped it away and watched it slowly accumulate around the
base, as if it's coming from the coupling of the pipe to the furnace
itself (not from some exterior source). The screws holding the
coupling to the furnace are rusting, so evidently this has been
happening for a while but I just noticed it recently.

Any ideas as to why this might be happening? Should I just apply a
sealant around the pipe where it joins the coupling? Thanks in
advance.

This should be an issue for the installer.

Dave;

There is a supplied drain with a trap that is intened to drain off the
condensate to either the sewage or outdoors. If the drain is not pitched
correctly, or the trap is not installed correctly, the condensate [water]
will collect at the appliance and damage it eventually.

Have the originall installing contractor come out and correct the problem.

--
Zyp