Posted to alt.home.repair

Default thoughts??

My mom is considering an EdenPURE quartz infrared
heater, to supplement her heating. She's POSITIVE
since she heard it on Paul Harvey that it's a good thing.
I'm trying to tell her that she might save 50 bucks on her
gas bill, but will probably spend 50 bucks more on her
electric bill.....all things equal, are these a good thing?
will she save money? If any of you have one, or heard of
someone who has one, I'll take any reasonable comments
on this...thank you

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "news" wrote:
My mom is considering an EdenPURE quartz infrared
heater, to supplement her heating. She's POSITIVE
since she heard it on Paul Harvey that it's a good thing.
I'm trying to tell her that she might save 50 bucks on her
gas bill, but will probably spend 50 bucks more on her
electric bill.....all things equal, are these a good thing?
will she save money? If any of you have one, or heard of
someone who has one, I'll take any reasonable comments
on this...thank you

The reason that the EdenPure saves money on utility bills is that it's a space
heater. You turn the thermostat down, then use the space heater to warm the
room you're in at the time. You save money because the thermostat setting
is lower, so your furnace doesn't run as much. It's not magic. ANY space
heater will do the same thing -- and most of them cost far, far less than the
EdenPure.

Bottom line: it's just an overpriced space heater.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

I just saw one last week. It was actually a pretty impressive heater and
very safe. I too like Paul Harvey, and I believe he believes in what he
endorses. Having said that, the thing is still an electric 1500 watt heater
and under normal circumstances I can't imagine how it would save any money.
These are not normal circumstances though, in fact just hours ago my
accountant call me to install wiring for an electric clothes dryer to
replace his natural gas unit. When I asked him why, he told me the price of
electricity is currently a fraction of what natural gas costs, so it's just
possible that in her area an electric heating unit of any kind may save
money.

"news" wrote in message
My mom is considering an EdenPURE quartz infrared
heater, to supplement her heating. She's POSITIVE
since she heard it on Paul Harvey that it's a good thing.
I'm trying to tell her that she might save 50 bucks on her
gas bill, but will probably spend 50 bucks more on her
electric bill.....all things equal, are these a good thing?
will she save money? If any of you have one, or heard of
someone who has one, I'll take any reasonable comments
on this...thank you

Posted to alt.home.repair

"news" wrote in message

My mom is considering an EdenPURE quartz infrared
heater, to supplement her heating. She's POSITIVE
since she heard it on Paul Harvey that it's a good thing.
I'm trying to tell her that she might save 50 bucks on her
gas bill, but will probably spend 50 bucks more on her
electric bill.....all things equal, are these a good thing?
will she save money? If any of you have one, or heard of
someone who has one, I'll take any reasonable comments
on this...thank you

I was under the impression that when it comes to electric heat, a KW
is a KW. It's not like a furnace that loses a certain percentage up
the flue pipe, so the efficiency can be improved.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"news" wrote in message
My mom is considering an EdenPURE quartz infrared
heater, to supplement her heating. She's POSITIVE
since she heard it on Paul Harvey that it's a good thing.
I'm trying to tell her that she might save 50 bucks on her
gas bill, but will probably spend 50 bucks more on her
electric bill.....all things equal, are these a good thing?
will she save money? If any of you have one, or heard of
someone who has one, I'll take any reasonable comments
on this...thank you

Do a search on Google Groups and you will find other threads on Eden Pure.
It is an over price space heater.

Any space heater of 1500 watts puts out the same heat. It may cut down the
overall cost by heating only one room and letting the rest stay colder, but
most times you just jack the electric bill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 2, 9:01*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"news" wrote in message

My mom is considering an EdenPURE quartz infrared
heater, to supplement her heating. *She's POSITIVE
since she heard it on Paul Harvey that it's a good thing.
I'm trying to tell her that she might save 50 bucks on her
gas bill, but will probably spend 50 bucks more on her
electric bill.....all things equal, are these a good thing?
will she save money? *If any of you have one, or heard of
someone who has one, I'll take any reasonable comments
on this...thank you

Do a search on Google Groups and you will find other threads on Eden Pure.
It is an over price space heater.

Any space heater of 1500 watts puts out the same heat. It may cut down the
overall cost by heating only one room and letting the rest stay colder, but
most times you just jack the electric bill.

A watt of electric heat is a watt and eden p is overpriced by alot,
you can get a 30$ heater anywhere that will do the same. Also their tv
ads lie and say other heaters burn the air and lower humidity, the
truth is raising air temp lowers humidity, I this Eden **** is
overpriced hype. There was also some bs about eden **** saying they
use Cured Copper, well either copper is molten or its cured. You can
do the same for alot less and might save nothing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"news" wrote in message
My mom is considering an EdenPURE quartz infrared
heater, to supplement her heating. She's POSITIVE
since she heard it on Paul Harvey that it's a good thing.
I'm trying to tell her that she might save 50 bucks on her
gas bill, but will probably spend 50 bucks more on her
electric bill.....all things equal, are these a good thing?
will she save money? If any of you have one, or heard of
someone who has one, I'll take any reasonable comments
on this...thank you

Costs relate to electric rates where she lives. HUGE safety issue regarding
combustibles near heater. Other than that, I like electric "space" heaters
for smaller spaces.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:

SNIPS
These are not normal circumstances though, in fact just hours ago my
accountant call me to install wiring for an electric clothes dryer to
replace his natural gas unit. When I asked him why, he told me the price of
electricity is currently a fraction of what natural gas costs, so it's just
possible that in her area an electric heating unit of any kind may save
money.

Interesting regarding reative costs of natual gas and electric.
Seems somewha counter intuitive, and probably not the case
everywhere.

What are the electrical utility and gas utility company involved
and what part of the country?

TIA.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 3, 11:00�am, jJim McLaughlin
wrote:
RBM wrote:

SNIPS

These are not normal circumstances though, in fact just hours ago my
accountant call me to install wiring for an electric clothes dryer to
replace his natural gas unit. When I asked him why, he told me the price of
electricity is currently a fraction of what natural gas costs, so it's just
possible that in her area an electric heating unit of any kind may save
money.

Interesting regarding reative costs of natual gas and electric.
Seems somewha counter intuitive, and probably not the case
everywhere.

What are the electrical utility and gas utility company involved
and what part of the country?

TIA.

accountant has no idea of whats he is doing(

theres only one case a electric dryer MIGHT be a winner in the winter
only....

exhaust to a filter to remove lint, then pump exhaust thru home to
raise humidity.

provided the exhaust air is clean its 100% efficent.

sadly it would be hard to remove 100% of lint, and shouldnt be tried
at all with a gas dryer.......

gas is nearly always the same cost or much cheaper than electric

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

-snip-
theres only one case a electric dryer MIGHT be a winner in the winter
only....

You have to price the alternative fuels-- Electricity can vary from
5-25cents/kWh in the US. There's probably a dollar a gallon
difference in propane from one part of the country to another.

-snip-
gas is nearly always the same cost or much cheaper than electric

Usually-- but if you live in the exception, go for it.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article a002da2d-c370-414e-aba0-
, alt.home.repair,
says...

"news" wrote in message

My mom is considering an EdenPURE quartz infrared
heater, to supplement her heating. She's POSITIVE
since she heard it on Paul Harvey that it's a good thing.
I'm trying to tell her that she might save 50 bucks on her
gas bill, but will probably spend 50 bucks more on her
electric bill.....all things equal, are these a good thing?
will she save money? If any of you have one, or heard of
someone who has one, I'll take any reasonable comments
on this...thank you

I was under the impression that when it comes to electric heat, a KW
is a KW. It's not like a furnace that loses a certain percentage up
the flue pipe, so the efficiency can be improved.

Not necessarily. For the same KW, sitting next to an infrared or
"radiant heater" may make you feel warmer than heating the entire
house with baseboard heat. Both will raise the temperature of the
room by the same amount but you don't care much what the
temperature of the knickknacks on the coffee table are. You care
that you're comfortable.

--
Keith
Posted to alt.home.repair

"krw" wrote in message
Not necessarily. For the same KW, sitting next to an infrared or
"radiant heater" may make you feel warmer than heating the entire
house with baseboard heat. Both will raise the temperature of the
room by the same amount but you don't care much what the
temperature of the knickknacks on the coffee table are. You care
that you're comfortable.

--
Keith

But there are potential problems there also. One person sitting in the ray
may be comfy while another to the side is still chilly. Directional heat is
OK if you are in the right direction and your face may be warm while your
ass freezes. Overall, a kW is a kW of heat energy once dispersed.

Any thoughts? Ted[_2_] UK diy 20 October 8th 07 08:04 PM
your thoughts on this JoeM Home Repair 5 February 19th 07 04:05 PM
Second homes. Thoughts? JJ Home Repair 6 December 13th 06 04:46 PM
Thoughts Ghodges2 Woodturning 53 November 21st 04 07:52 AM
Thoughts from the shower #2 David W.E. Roberts UK diy 9 July 29th 03 08:19 PM