Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing paint from an old baseboard radiator

We have an old convection baseboard radiator with paint chips peeling away
in certain sections. Some sections the paint is securely fastened to the
surface. Would like to strip all the sections down so as to make a smooth
surface.

This is an image of what the this radiator looks like.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icrosoft:en-US

I was thinking of scrapping the peeling part and using some sort of stripper
to remove the rest. This is also some minimal rusting and old paint
beneath.. Might need to do some sanding to make it smooth after I'm
finished. (I don't have a sander, but been wanting to buy one for some
time. So, that isn't a big issue. Any type of sander recommendation would
be appreciated.)

Any idea on how I might tackle this job. Not sure on what type of chemical
stripper to use or whether using some sort of heat gun might be a better
idea? (Amazon has one on sale)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A9859091M5468Z

I don't have one of these either, but in the spring I could use it to remove
old paint around the windows.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie S." wrote in message
[...]

I wouldn't bother stripping it all. I just painted some wooden windows which
had the same issue. I removed all the loose chips, and left the good stuff
in place. I used fine sandpaper to feather the edges where the intact paint
met the places without paint. First coat of real paint almost made the
transition areas vanish. Second coat of real paint turned out like glass.
Real paint would be the premium stuff, like Devoe or Martin-Senour, which I
used. You won't find it at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Because it is metal, I would use old automobile body work techniques to get
a good surface.
-First, hand wet sandpaper (using wet/dry sandpaper and water) using a
rubber sanding block to feather out the chips and clean up bare or rusted
surfaces.
-Second, prime with a good metal primer, one designed to be sanded without
gumming up sandpaper.
-Third, sand the primer, any low spots that show up use body putty, a
lacquer based putty that can be spread over low spots to build them up
level. Sand the putty level, add more and sand again if needed to get
smooth.
-Fourth, prime and gently sand again to smooth surface.
-Fifth, apply two coats of semi-gloss or gloss enamel to get a good hard
smooth surface.

They will look great.

"Charlie S." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

They have probably had several coats of latex paint smeared on
them through the years. I would take them off the wall, get them
outside, and try washing them down with lacquer thinner to remove
the layers of latex down to the original baked enamel. Paint
remover does not work well on latex in my experience. The other
choice would be to feather out any chips, etc with sand paper,
remove any brush marks, etc. I would plan on using spray paint
for the finish. If you get all the way to bare metal, I would
shoot them with primer first.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Charlie S." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...ontheweb.com/g...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...i_1?pf_rd_p=27...

I don't have one of these either, but in the spring I could use
it to remove old paint around the windows.

Before I monkeyed too much, I'd consider new covers. They aren't big
money, and if you might even be able to buy the covers separate. For
example: http://www.pexsupply.com/categories....D=796&brandid=

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie S. wrote:
We have an old convection baseboard radiator with paint chips
peeling away in certain sections. Some sections the paint is
securely fastened to the surface. Would like to strip all the
sections down so as to make a smooth surface.

Both EXT and DanG gave you good info on the "how to" but I think
marson's suggestion of replacing the covers makes the most sense. If
your covers have a stamped pattern like the one you linked they would
be a PITA to power sand.

In the event you decide to redo, pay particular attention to the areas
of rust. Unless they are really superficial you'll need to remove all
finish from an area somewhat beyond the rust area by thorough sanding,
clean it well (no water) and use a rust conversion chemical to convert
the remaining ferric iron oxide (rust) to ferrous iron. Once done,
clean again, prime and paint. By "rust conversion chemical" I mean
something like Rusticide...things that contain a mild acid, often
phosphoric acid.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie S. wrote:

[...]

If the covers are truly rusting, and not just rust stained from
something else, you are probably better off replacing them. Paint
remover works very well and quicker on metal than on wood. Easy to do,
but difficult in my experience to totally get rid of rust. If they are
aluminum, then it would be easie to sand and repaint. If repainting
rusted metal, it has to be cleaned entirely of rust and then cleaned up
and primed right away; don't even want salty fingerprints on it.

Haven't done it, but I suspect that replacing the covers would be
cheaper and easier in the long-run.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

After reading the posts I get feeling I may go with replacing the units.
Doesn't look like it will cost much more than $100 and will save me lots of
aggravation.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

If the covers are truly rusting, and not just rust stained from something
else, you are probably better off replacing them. Paint remover works
very well and quicker on metal than on wood. Easy to do, but difficult in
my experience to totally get rid of rust. If they are aluminum, then it
would be easie to sand and repaint. If repainting rusted metal, it has to
be cleaned entirely of rust and then cleaned up and primed right away;
don't even want salty fingerprints on it.

Haven't done it, but I suspect that replacing the covers would be cheaper
and easier in the long-run.

After reading the posts I get feeling I may go with replacing the units.
Doesn't look like it will cost much more than $100 and will save me lots of
aggravation.

Thanks everyone for your help!

I repainted our ancient range hood, which is aluminum. It had been
cleaned so much that the bare metal was beginning to show through. I
sanded lightly, took off dust, wiped down with denatured alcohol to make
sure it was extra clean. I use Preval sprayers for small jobs and they
work like a charm - 8 oz. bottle with cartridge of air and spray tip
that screw on; you put your own paint into them. I used Rustoleum
primer and Rustoleum enamel and the darn thing looks like new. I was
careful not to paint the plate with the label and knobs, and it looks
like original paint. Preval's are great for small jobs, as the spray
pattern is relatively small and there is very little overspray.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Never heard of Preval sprayers. After thinking over buying new radiators I
realized that I may just sand it down a bit and paint over it. May try your
Preyal sprayer idea or just paint with a brush.