DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   any important difference between a 120/240v breaker and a 240vbreaker? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/227738-any-important-difference-between-120-240v-breaker-240vbreaker.html)

[email protected] December 30th 07 12:50 AM

any important difference between a 120/240v breaker and a 240vbreaker?

I'm installing a subpanel fed from a 2-pole 60A breaker over 6/3
romex. I picked up the breaker (a Square D QO) and after I got home
realized it says 120/240v. Is there any difference this and a breaker
that is just 240v?

RBM[_2_] December 30th 07 02:49 AM

any important difference between a 120/240v breaker and a 240v breaker?

I would imagine all double pole breakers are 120/240 except for certain GFCI
models. In any event, you are using it as a 120/240 volt feeder main for
your sub panel, so you've got the right thing

[email protected] December 30th 07 03:51 AM

any important difference between a 120/240v breaker and a 240vbreaker?

thanks everybody!

Tom Horne[_2_] December 31st 07 04:30 PM

wrote:
I'm installing a subpanel fed from a 2-pole 60A breaker over 6/3
romex. I picked up the breaker (a Square D QO) and after I got home
realized it says 120/240v. Is there any difference this and a breaker
that is just 240v?

There is a difference between the two breakers but it is unimportant in
your application. A breaker that is listed for 240 volts can be used in
circuits having 240 volts relative to ground. A 240 volt, corner
grounded, Delta connected supply for refrigeration equipment in a
restaurant comes to mind. A 120/240 breaker can not be used in circuits
having a voltage to ground higher than 120 volts nominal but it can be
used in circuits having 240 volts between the ungrounded current
carrying conductors. In your application either breaker is fine but the
120/240 volt one is undoubtedly cheaper.
--
Tom Horne