Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot Water Baseboards; paint For ?

Hello,

Have a forced hot water heating system, with metal kick-plate covers over
the radiating fins.
The standard stuff.

If I want to re-paint them, is an ordinary latex paint O.K., seeing the
thermal expansion and contractions that take place ? Or,...?

Whatever paint is on their now has stood up pretty well, but looks dingy.
No idea of paint type or brand.

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 26, 6:36*am, "Robert11" wrote:
Hello,

Have a forced hot water heating system, with metal kick-plate covers over
the radiating fins.
The standard stuff.

snip

Whatever paint is on their now has stood up pretty well, but looks

dingy.

snip

.
So why not save money and just clean it (them)?

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert11" wrote in
:

Hello,

Have a forced hot water heating system, with metal kick-plate covers
over the radiating fins.
The standard stuff.

If I want to re-paint them, is an ordinary latex paint O.K., seeing
the thermal expansion and contractions that take place ? Or,...?

Whatever paint is on their now has stood up pretty well, but looks
dingy. No idea of paint type or brand.

Thanks,
Bob

The original is probably baked on when manfactured.

I've done a bunch of them...first being a year ago and it's held up fine.

- Sanded to rough them with a palm sander.
Any hints of rust sanded to bare metal. Rust will eventually
bleed through.
- Primed with Rustoleum spray white primer.
- Painted with 2 coats of Rustoleum gloss white. 2nd coat done
within one hour per directions to avoid peeling. If not done
within 1 hr, they say to wait 48(?) hours. Check the can. I've
seen other brands say to wait a week if not done within x-hrs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello,

Have a forced hot water heating system, with metal kick-plate covers over
the radiating fins.
The standard stuff.

If I want to re-paint them, is an ordinary latex paint O.K., seeing the
thermal expansion and contractions that take place ? Or,...?

Whatever paint is on their now has stood up pretty well, but looks dingy.
No idea of paint type or brand.

I've use plain oil based gloss white. You can spray or brush. While the
finned tubing moves a lot, the housings don't expand enough to be a concern.

Hot water Baseboards airlocked Platebanger Home Repair 4 March 8th 07 01:58 AM
Forced hot water system, want to purge air in second floor baseboards, no expansion tank HELP! [email protected] Home Repair 5 November 7th 06 05:48 PM
Baseboards Augustine Home Repair 3 March 27th 06 04:43 AM
Can You Paint Electric Baseboards? [email protected] Home Repair 7 April 2nd 05 09:12 PM
Paint Baseboards Before Carpet? Rev_Scuggins Home Repair 7 July 18th 04 08:35 PM