Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Homemade Carbon Cleaner For Stove Tops?

DerbyDad03 wrote:
Can I make something that will do what this product claims it will do
with materials found around the house or easily obtainable?

http://www.instawares.com/sokoff-car...3-1092.0.7.htm

I need to clean the black burner trays on my gas stove as well as a
silver tray from a toaster oven that is totally black at this point.

According to the CRC Handbook, Carbon is slightly soluable in molten iron.

Nothing else.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Can I make something that will do what this product claims it will do
with materials found around the house or easily obtainable?

http://www.instawares.com/sokoff-car...3-1092.0.7.htm

I need to clean the black burner trays on my gas stove as well as a
silver tray from a toaster oven that is totally black at this point.

Thanks & Happy Holidays
Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Can I make something that will do what this product claims it will do
with materials found around the house or easily obtainable?

http://www.instawares.com/sokoff-car...3-1092.0.7.htm

While I don't know if some household chemicals will work as well,
the ingredients of Sokoff don't seem to be household chemicals:

http://www.waljanproducts.com/msds/MSDSSokoff.htm

CHEMICAL NAME CAS NO. % WT
Methylene Chloride 75-09-2 60-65
Isopropyl Alcohol 67-63-0 15
Triethanolamine 102-71-6 1-3
Sodium Dodecyl Benzene Sulphonate 25155-50-9 3-6
Potassium Dichromate 7778-50-9 0.5

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 22, 5:45*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
Can I make something that will do what this product claims it will do
with materials found around the house or easily obtainable?

http://www.instawares.com/sokoff-car...3-1092.0.7.htm

I need to clean the black burner trays on my gas stove as well as a
silver tray from a toaster oven that is totally black at this point.

According to the CRC Handbook,Carbonis slightly soluable in molten iron.

Nothing else.

I'm not sure what your point is. Are you saying that the Sokoff
product won't work?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh pshaw, on Sun 23 Dec 2007 09:06:02p, DerbyDad03 meant to say...

On Dec 22, 5:45*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
Can I make something that will do what this product claims it will do
with materials found around the house or easily obtainable?

http://www.instawares.com/sokoff-car...3-1092.0.7.htm

I need to clean the black burner trays on my gas stove as well as a
silver tray from a toaster oven that is totally black at this point.

According to the CRC Handbook,Carbonis slightly soluable in molten iron.

Nothing else.

I'm not sure what your point is. Are you saying that the Sokoff
product won't work?

I think he's saying he doesn't want to pay for Sokoff.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, December 23rd,2007

I made it foolproof. They are making
better fools!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 24, 12:17*am, Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 09:15:54 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

wrote:
Can I make something that will do what this product claims it will do
with materials found around the house or easily obtainable?

http://www.instawares.com/sokoff-car...3-1092.0.7.htm

I need to clean the black burner trays on my gas stove as well as a
silver tray from a toaster oven that is totally black at this point.

Thanks & Happy Holidays

Take a look at this.

http://www.orisonmarketing.com/clean...on/carbon.html

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm looking to make my own. It ain't a
money thing...I'm just looking for something to do while I'm holiday
vacation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
According to the CRC Handbook,Carbonis slightly soluable in molten
iron.

Nothing else.

I'm not sure what your point is. Are you saying that the Sokoff
product won't work?

I'm saying you cannot (easily) dissolve Carbon in any concoction of
chemicals. Removal must be mechanical.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 24, 6:57 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
According to the CRC Handbook,Carbonis slightly soluable in molten
iron.

Nothing else.

I'm not sure what your point is. Are you saying that the Sokoff
product won't work?

I'm saying you cannot (easily) dissolve Carbon in any concoction of
chemicals. Removal must be mechanical.

You could try putting the items in a plastic garbage bag with a couple
cups of pure household ammonia. Leave overnight, then scrub. The
other thing to try is a spray oven cleaner (lye based). If you really
want to clean something, fill a half a 55 gallon drum with water, add
a bunch of lye, and bring to a boil. Pretty much clean anything with
that, but of course it is somewhat dangerous to monkey around with 20
gallons of boiling lye water. (we used to peel the wax off of steel
animal traps that way).
Posted to alt.home.repair

M Q wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Can I make something that will do what this product claims it will do
with materials found around the house or easily obtainable?

http://www.instawares.com/sokoff-car...3-1092.0.7.htm

While I don't know if some household chemicals will work as well,
the ingredients of Sokoff don't seem to be household chemicals:

http://www.waljanproducts.com/msds/MSDSSokoff.htm

CHEMICAL NAME CAS NO. % WT
Methylene Chloride 75-09-2 60-65
Isopropyl Alcohol 67-63-0 15
Triethanolamine 102-71-6 1-3
Sodium Dodecyl Benzene Sulphonate 25155-50-9 3-6
Potassium Dichromate 7778-50-9 0.5

Off hand, look like ingredients for paint remover. I would be careful
with it and only use outside the house wearing rubber gloves and eye
protection.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 24, 7:57*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
According to the CRC Handbook,Carbonis slightly soluable in molten
iron.

Nothing else.

I'm not sure what your point is. Are you saying that the Sokoff
product won't work?

I'm saying you cannot (easily) dissolve Carbon in any concoction of
chemicals. Removal must be mechanical.

If I understand the product correctly, it doesn't dissolve the carbon
pre se. It breaks down the bond between the metal and carbon/grease so
it can be rinsed away. Based on the widespread availability of the
product on the web, I'm assuming it works.

I'm gonna try a plastic bag of ammonia and see what happens.

Happy Holidays!