DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/227067-goodbye-100w-75w-incandescent-lamps.html)

Jim Redelfs December 28th 07 04:03 AM

Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

A number of utilities have purchased changes in the rules so
they can avoid paying for improvements to coal burning facilities.
And I do mean purchased.

Environmentally speaking, there isn't much more the modern coal-fueled
facility can do. I haven't seen any SMOKE coming from the stacks around here
in decades.
--
:)
JR

Doug Miller December 28th 07 04:08 AM

Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

In article , ransley wrote:

Again JOE SPARE BEDROOM POSTS **** what dribble from a **** head

Pot - kettle - black ...

Paul Franklin December 28th 07 04:10 AM

Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 21:33:00 -0600, dpb wrote:

Paul Franklin wrote:

But it seems to me that vilifying environmentalists as having done no
good by opposing nuclear power is an inconsistent argument when at the
same time one praises the nuclear industry's safety record. Here's
why:

If you're criticizing me, I've never said there wasn't value in
environmental work -- I've only criticized the demonization of nuclear
and the manner in which many environmentalist organizations have told
less than the honest story of what the relative risks are of one
alternative vis a vis another.

And I agree with you. It's unfortunate that groups of all types on
all sides of most issues, not just this one, seem to feel it's
necessary to take extreme positions or overstate their case to make a
point. This just generally seems to contribute more noise, when we
need more signal. (Don't get me started on the appalling lack of
critical thinking we see on all fronts :-) )

It is indeed unfortunate that the US nuclear power industry has been
stalled, for whatever reasons, for so long. If we do turn back in
that direction, we will greatly miss the additional experience and
history we would have gained with even a few new plants. Slow but
steady rollout and testing of new designs, materials, operating
procedures, maintenance, security, etc. would have provided not only
invaluable real world data, but would have given the public more
confidence in the industry and would have helped silence some of the
most extreme rhetoric. Restarting the domestic nuclear program will
require lots of talent with rather specialized skills, and we haven't
been doing much to build the talent pool. If we're going to restart,
let's do it soon so the industry can grow slowly and cautiously.

Paul F.

Jim Redelfs December 28th 07 04:14 AM

Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

In article ,
Paul Franklin wrote:

vilifying environmentalists and others who oppose nuclear energy
without recognizing that they have had and should have a valid role in
the system of checks and balances is wrong, IMO.

I respectfully disagree.

The environmental movement did MUCH to vilify nuclear power generation with no
basis in fact or experience. TMI's little "belch" of irradiated steam,
magnified a million times by a mass media with a well documented anti-nuke
bias and Hanoi Jane's little movie did the rest.

Any group with a baseless counter agenda should NOT be part of a system of
checks and balances.
--
:)
JR

Dan Espen December 28th 07 04:28 AM

Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

Paul Franklin writes:

Been following this thread with interest, and sometimes a little
amusement, I might add.

In general, I agree with the position that nuclear is probably the
best short/medium term solution to providing our energy needs.

But it seems to me that vilifying environmentalists as having done no
good by opposing nuclear power is an inconsistent argument when at the
same time one praises the nuclear industry's safety record. Here's
why:

The current state of affairs, both good and bad aspects, was arrived
at via long series of events. Demands of the market, developments by
industry, regulation and oversight by federal agencies, and yes,
opposition by citizens and environmental groups, all intertwine in a
system of action, reaction, checks, balances, disturbances and
corrections.

One can't rationally blame environmentalists for all the bad and give
credit to industry for all the good in such a complex situation.
Reality is somewhere in the middle.

Agree completely.

Won't work in this thread though.
Here everything is either good or evil.

Jim Redelfs December 28th 07 04:30 AM

Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

there's an important word to keep in mind when you're tempted to
use the word "environmentalist". Try substituting the word "customer", which
pretty much ends all disagreements about whether it's important to address
people's concerns.

Not at all. Call them what you like, they are still extremists with an
anti-nuke agenda. As such, they should be mostly, if not completely,
discounted.

My doctor has stopped using the word "patient", and uses "customer"
instead, since it's much more correct

For tripping over such semantics, your doctor is an idiot.

I can just see the kindly, old, bespectacled M.D. enter his PATIENT'S room
during grand rounds and ask, "How is my CUSTOMER doing this morning?" Gag me.

it takes him down a notch from the pedestal
on which some doctors place themselves.

As usual, you're wrong again. (Habit-forming, isn't it?)

It is those the M.D. SAVES and cures that place him/her on a pedestal.
Admittedly, some physicians LIKE it "up there" and make no effort to come
down, but few self-ascend to such a status.

Then there's you: Not an M.D. yet you have ascended to a pedestal of your own
making. It must be quite a balancing act to stay up there considering the
stack of chips on each shoulder.

You will now ask why ALL customers don't express the same concerns as the
subset you like to call "environmentalists".

Why ask something to which I already know the answer?

The answer is a very simple one.
Let's see if you know the answer.

Of course, you won't like it but, here it is: They are informed and rational.
The subset to which you refer is not.

Now wasn't that simple? No wonder it eluded you.
--
:)
JR

Jim Redelfs December 28th 07 04:32 AM

Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

Imagine if the subject had involved 100w bulbs instead!

It would have attracted even more DIM BULBS than this one.
--
snotty grin
JR

Jim Redelfs December 28th 07 04:36 AM

Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

I have a theory which says that if bus occupancy increased that much, it
might be possible to buy more busses. I'm not sure, though.

I'll bet you're not.

Ridership has NOTHING to do (anymore) with buying new busses. Additional
fleecing of the non-riding taxpayer has EVERYTHING to do with it.

You're welcome.
--
:)
JR

Jim Redelfs December 28th 07 04:41 AM

Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

In article ,
Jim Yanik wrote:

maybe that's because most all of them stunk,so they were all
used to being around stinky people.....
and being diehard bike commuters,were more tolerant of odor caused by
biking.

Geez, you guys. Get over it.

Wearing CLEAN clothing, the average CLEAN body can sweat profusely and
generate little odor.

Aren't you glad you use Dial? Don't you wish everyone did?
--
:)
JR

Paul Franklin December 28th 07 05:16 AM

Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 22:14:14 -0600, Jim Redelfs
wrote:

In article ,
Paul Franklin wrote:

vilifying environmentalists and others who oppose nuclear energy
without recognizing that they have had and should have a valid role in
the system of checks and balances is wrong, IMO.

I respectfully disagree.

The environmental movement did MUCH to vilify nuclear power generation with no
basis in fact or experience. TMI's little "belch" of irradiated steam,
magnified a million times by a mass media with a well documented anti-nuke
bias and Hanoi Jane's little movie did the rest.

Any group with a baseless counter agenda should NOT be part of a system of
checks and balances.

In any discourse, there will always be outliers. Groups with extreme
views driven by ignorance, hidden (or not) agendas, or other
motivations.

In science and engineering, outliers in data receive special scrutiny.
When such scrutiny reveals valid reasons for excluding them from
further consideration, they are set aside. Not removed from the
record, but set aside for valid reasons.

We need to do the same in public discourse and policy. Critically
examine the points and counter points and set aside the ones that are
truly outliers and invalid. This requires a great deal of leadership,
critical thinking, and impartiality.

You don't have to convince me that those skills are way too rare in
our chosen leaders. We need leaders who can identify and set aside
the outliers, and then make an informed decision on the basis of what
remains.

So I agree with you. If a group's position, under the cold light of
critical thinking, is determined to be an outlier, then it should be
excluded from the remainder of the decision making process.

But a point I am would like to make is this. One can't exclude a post
ion just because it appears to be outside the mainstream. (I don't
mean to imply that's what your doing, but there's a lot of it going on
out there) One must do the study, do the analysis, apply critical
thinking, and make the informed decision.

Now what I didn't take care to do in my previous post was to make it
clear that I believe environmental groups and other opponents of
nuclear power should not be lumped all together and painted with a
broad brush. Some are outliers, others can add value to the
discussion. I believe this is true with the other side(s) as well.

Paul F.

JoeSpareBedroom December 28th 07 07:14 AM

Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article
,
ransley wrote:

Again JOE SPARE BEDROOM POSTS **** what dribble from a **** head

Pot - kettle - black ...

Miller, a long time ago, you put the bottle to your head and pulled the
trigger.

JoeSpareBedroom December 28th 07 07:16 AM

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

[...]

No. 54% of the country questions nothing at all. For the remaining 46%,
further discussion is in order.

Wayne Boatwright[_2_] December 28th 07 07:49 AM

Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

On Thu 27 Dec 2007 07:52:52p, Jim Yanik told us...

(Don Klipstein) wrote in
:

In article , Jim Yanik
wrote:
Wayne Boatwright wrote in
.173.184:

On Wed 26 Dec 2007 03:19:50p, Jim Yanik told us...

My boss, who is a frequest iron man competitor, routinely rides his
bike to work several or more times per week (no bus for him). He
lives about 20 miles from work.

I hope there's a shower where you work! Otherwise;EWWWW,skunkola!

I have worked at two places already where many people commute by
bike, and some or most of the people ride bikes for the job.
Neither
workplace had a shower, and one of them was a bicycle messenger
dispatch office. I never heard many complaints about biker odors,
except for a couple with apparent mental problems and who did not keep
their jobs long.

- Don Klipstein )

maybe that's because most all of them stunk,so they were all used to

being
around stinky people.....
and being diehard bike commuters,were more tolerant of odor caused by
biking.

The company I work for has an exercise room that also has an adjacent
shower.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, 12(XII)/28(XXVIII)/07(MMVII)
Countdown till New Years
3dys 23hrs 15mins
It really bothers me when people cut
me o...

HeyBub[_2_] December 28th 07 02:02 PM

Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

Kurt Ullman wrote:

Heck Teddy Kennedy's car has killed more people than nuclear plants,
and I have seen the bumper sticker that proves it...(g)

Go ahead, blame the car.

What about the 2nd Amendment?

No, wait. Nevermind.

Doug Miller December 28th 07 02:03 PM

Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

In article , "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
t...
In article
,
ransley wrote:

Again JOE SPARE BEDROOM POSTS **** what dribble from a **** head

Pot - kettle - black ...

Miller, a long time ago, you put the bottle to your head and pulled the
trigger.

You forgot your meds again, Kanter -- you're making even less sense than usual
today.

dpb December 28th 07 04:54 PM

Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

dpb wrote:
bud-- wrote:

Some people were killed by direct radiation at Chernobyl, including
firemen spraying water on the reactor. And many in the general
population died from more indirect effects, like fallout. Different
reactor type than US. None of these fit Doug's 'nobody killed in the
US in power generation'.

Yes, I also specifically limited the discussion to LWR reactors. As
somebody else mentioned way back in the thread, the Chernobyl reactor
did not have a containment building at all in the sense of what we think
of--it was simply in a metal-clad building. Such a reactor would never
have been built in any of the western nations. The Chernobyl design and
the operational misdeeds that lead to the event are prime examples of
"how _NOT_ to do it".

I don't remember the radiation released from Three Mile Island, but
there could have been indirect deaths as at Chernobyl. And uranium
miners have died from radon breakdown or other radiation effects.

While TMI is a "could be", there are no confirmable injuries or deaths
in the general public (or in the workforce at the plant, either) around
TMI that can be attributed to those releases. In talking w/ a co-worker
who spent a great deal of time on site during and immediately after the
event (while they were still dealing with the "H bubble" in the SG upper
leg), he said his greatest concern was being run over by the teeming
hordes of media reporters every time he approached or left the plant. :)

As simply some background information, while there was a massive release
of fission products from Chernobyl, it was _not_ a "nuclear accident" in
that there was not a nuclear explosion as in a weapon. The reactor
over-heated owing to mis-operation following a turbine overspeed trip
test which was conducted in violation of several safety procedures in
that all proscribed systems were not operational at the time. Anyway,
it was the fire that was the real culprit combined with the atrocious
design feature of having no reactor containment building as do all LWRs
worldwide. Being a graphite-moderated pile reactor design, when the
temperature reached a critical point, the graphite ignited and that fire
was the main feature of the accident. At its peak, it was hot enough
that it disassociated the H and O in water sprayed on it in attempts to
contain it.

This type of accident is not physically realizable in a LWR, either P-
or B- type. As they are water-moderated. TMI was a core-melt
accidental LOCA (not the double-guillotine design type, but manually
induced by operator error(s) following the initial reactor trip and
stuck-open PORV). In that event, owing to the design features and the
containment, while there was significant fuel melt, containment was not
breached and once the fresh shift came on duty and recognized what the
previous shift had done wrong and restarted the primary RCPs and HPI to
re-cover the core w/ primary coolant and establish primary coolant
circulation, the incident was under control.

As noted earlier, if the operating shift had recognized they had an
incident that had been specifically addressed in (then) recent bulletins
to all utilities of the specific reactor design, they would undoubtedly
have not been fooled as they were and taken proper action initially and
the whole thing would have been simply a relatively short outage to
repair the PORV and implement the upgrades/operational guidances. The
upshot is, however, that while expensive, it essentially was a test of
the design and systems intended to deal with a LOCA that was as if a
full-scale test reactor had been sacrificed to prove the systems
adequate to the task.

AZ Nomad December 28th 07 05:53 PM

Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 22:36:58 -0600, Jim Redelfs wrote:
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

I have a theory which says that if bus occupancy increased that much, it
might be possible to buy more busses. I'm not sure, though.

I'll bet you're not.

Ridership has NOTHING to do (anymore) with buying new busses. Additional
fleecing of the non-riding taxpayer has EVERYTHING to do with it.

I was wondering when the psychotic trolls would chime in.

You're welcome.

jJim McLaughlin December 28th 07 05:58 PM

Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

Pete C. wrote:

Jim Yanik wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in
:

Phisherman wrote:

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 03:28:42 -0600, Jim Redelfs
wrote:

Say "goodbye" to the venerable 100w and 75w, cheap, light bulb.
(Thomas Alva Edison will surely turn over in his grave).

And say "Hello" to additional mercury compounds (from fluorescent
tubes) seeping into our soils.

Supposedly the 75% power savings prevents more mercury emissions from
coal fired power plants than the mercury contained in the lamp.

Then they want us to convert to electric autos...
Using nuclear power plants will eliminate even more mercury emissions.

If anything,we should be converting our coal to auto fuels,and drilling in
ANWR for more US oil.And buying from Canada.

What we really should do is:

- Quickly build a number of new nuclear plants (which have a long safe
emissions free track record)

I am well informed supporter of nuclear power.
Your immediately preceeding sentence tells me you are
a cheerleader witout srious knowledge f the facilities.

Even with pebble bed technology, commercial power reactor
construction is not somethingone does "quickly". You can have
two of the following with rregad to any major engineering project:
on time, on budget, or works, You choose.

And we'll wait while you Google pebble bed tehnology.

Plant siting is not solely effected by NIMBYs or BANANAs
(Again, we'll wait while you Google BANANA.)

There are always serious seismic issues for
any power plant, including windills, nukes, and tide
generators. Ignore them at you peril

Nukes pollute as much as, but differently from, fossil fueled generators.
The thermal pollution from nukes is far greater than with a similar mega
wattage fossil plant. Particulate and gas emmissions with nukes
are far lower.

"Spent" nuclear fuel has its own unique issues. The primary two,
diversion and longeity, can both be dealyt with with acceptable risks.

Who is going to operate your nukes? Please don't say the IOPCs
and their staffs
(Again we'll wait while you Google IOPCs.)

Where is the capital to come from for building your nukes?

- Shut down all of the emissions belching coal and NG plants

"...all..."
You live in a fantasy world as extreme and as unconnected from
reality as the Luddite anti nukers.

- Provide separately metered very low cost electricity for charging
electric vehicles / plug in hybrids

- Provide low cost NG for commercial vehicles, providing an incentive to
convert some of the critical trucking from diesel.

- Drill ANWR using the proven clean, safe directional drilling
technology from a limited number of locations located at the edges of
ANWR and having near zero environmental impact.

Screw ANWR, drill seriously in the Gulf of Texas and off the
Northern California / Oregon / Washington coast. The reserves are
there and the return is a lot quicker than ANWR.

- Provide support for development of practical renewable resources as
appropriate for a given area, without preferences that lead to
impractical development that leads to construction of facilities for the
initial subsidies and then subsequent write off of operating losses.

What does rhat mean in English?

- Provide protection from baseless NIMBY lawsuits, baseless
environmentalist lawsuits, HOA restrictions, etc. for development and
installation of renewable facilities, both commercial and private.

Plenty more that should be done, but those are starters. Of course
something like this starts to become a comprehensive energy policy,
something our useless government (both left and right wings) can't
manage to put together.

jJim McLaughlin December 28th 07 06:00 PM

Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

HeyBub wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Just shows you what pussies the so-called "arms control experts are."

Even I can think of a way to deal with "rogue states."

Yeah, I'm sure you can think of a way, and it gives you a hard-on.
Too bad your way doesn't involve a brain.

"Getting a hard on" is just a fringe benefit.

Killing the mopes is where it's at. It's in the Book.

Ain't the Quran wonnerful?

jJim McLaughlin December 28th 07 06:04 PM

Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

That latest intelligence stinker about Iran seems to have stopped him from
waving his dick around for the moment. Now, if only we could silence people
like HeyBub.

The Stalinists on the left ceaselessly out themseles.

Joe's solution to serious political debate is to silence those
who dare to disagree with him.

Yeah, I sure wat to live in a country governed by the principles
of Joe and his ilk.

AZ Nomad December 28th 07 07:23 PM

Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 22:15:47 -0600, dpb wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

... Money is the only thing that
makes people behave correctly. You know that.

No, I don't "know that". Didn't seem to be much of a motivating factor
for Mother Teresa.

She was subsidized you idiot.

Don Klipstein December 29th 07 12:15 AM

Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

In article , Jim Yanik wrote:
(Don Klipstein) wrote in
:

In article , Jim Yanik
wrote:
[...]

But bike messenger customers did not say we stunk, and the dispatchers
did not say we stunk, and the people for the other company (including
their shippers) who had most of the space in the building (and gave us
many of our deliveries) did not say we stunk.

And non-bike-commuting portion of the sandwich shop people where I do
the sandwich delivery job and their customers don't say we stink.

- Don Klipstein )

jJim McLaughlin December 29th 07 02:05 AM

Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

MERCIFUL SNIPPAGE

Time for a reality check. Boston is not a peninsula.

Oddly enough, neither is Long *Island*, but
Joe never lets facts get in the way of his fervid delusions.

Jim Yanik December 29th 07 03:18 AM

Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

(Don Klipstein) wrote in
:

In article , Jim Yanik
wrote:
(Don Klipstein) wrote in
:

In article , Jim Yanik
wrote:
Wayne Boatwright wrote in
8.173.184:

[...]

maybe they just figured it was your natural state? ;-)
Of course,many people,especially these days,will not voice their beefs,as
it often brings adverse reactions.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Don Klipstein December 29th 07 03:45 AM

Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

In article , Jim Yanik wrote:
(Don Klipstein) wrote in
:

In article , Jim Yanik
wrote:
(Don Klipstein) wrote in
:

In article , Jim Yanik
wrote:
Wayne Boatwright wrote in
news:Xns9A12EDDA95DDFwayneboatwrightatgma@69. 28.173.184:

[...]

Not brought up by the stuffy stuffed-shirts most stuffy law firm
among the messenger customers that was willing to complain about bicycle
messengers with visibly mismatched socks.

And the messengers were required to wear long pants rather than shorts
by the messenger firm that I worked for then, even on every July and
August weekday with whatever weather downtown Philadelphia gets that time
of year. Having to wear long pants on a 95-99 degree F day with tropical
humidity was addressed more by the bosses (they reinforced requirement
to wear long pants) than body odor except to one misfit who failed to keep
his job too long there in large part to wearing clothes with stale old
sweat.
And certainly some of the printing/publishing firm employees upstairs
that enough of the messengers went to innorder to deliver incoming
packages or to pick up outgoing ones complained about dress, appearance,
behavior, and sanity of the messengers both generically and
specifically as in specifically to specific individuals but did not
complain about odor thereof!

Fresh sweat by fit individuals who are expert at sweating and wearing
clothes lacking stale sweat has a high rate of not stinking! Even has a
pretty good rate of not changing from non-stinking to stinking within 8-10
or so hours for that matter!

- Don Klipstein )

jJim McLaughlin December 29th 07 05:26 AM

Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

...and I wonder about nuclear plant security as well.

Ever been to visit a US commercial nuclear site?

--

No. But, my trust level these days is virtually zero.

Matches your credibility level.

jJim McLaughlin December 29th 07 05:31 AM

dpb wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"dpb" wrote in message ...

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"dpb" wrote in message ...

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"dpb" wrote in message ...

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

...and I wonder about nuclear plant security as well.

Ever been to visit a US commercial nuclear site?

No. But, my trust level these days is virtually zero.

Well, maybe some education on issues you're ranting against would
be a worthy objective as a New Year's resolution.

Education is always a good thing. I read constantly. But, no matter
how much I learn, I can't keep your washing machine from breaking
down or keep you from setting your hair on fire by getting too close
to your BBQ. Know what I mean?

Not with respect to nuclear facility safety, no.

--

In other words, my knowledge is not likely to change physical
occurrences elsewhere. I deal in absolutes. If I can't see and touch

So, how do you manage to live from day to day? Every action you take is
also dependent upon someone else whether it's getting on the train
you're so fond of or an airplane or just crossing the street or even in
opening a carton of milk.

Consider this -- there have been _ZERO_ (that's none, nada, not a one,
nil, ...) deaths caused from a nuclear accident in a commercial nuclear
facility in the US in the existence of the industry. That constitutes
something on the order of 40 years times roughly 60 operating units or
2400 reactor-years of operation and not a single fatality(*).

Of course ifyou want to seea really safe and well run
nuclear power pogram, look at the US Nay.

Makes the civilian commercial power reactor programs
look poitiively Evel Knevil-ish.

That's a good demonstration that taking care and fail-safe design
techniques work. There are folks (I happened to have an adjacent office
to one for about 15 years) who continually take every incident at every
operating facility and analyze it for root cause(s) and evaluate what,
if anything, went wrong and how to modify or upgrade procedures and/or
equipment or training to ensure it doesn't occur elsewhere and that
other utility operators of similar facilities are made aware of how to
deal with it were it to occur at one of their facilities as well.

The difference in the nuclear utility operations as opposed to the kind
of daily "run of the mill" accidents you're aware of is that the level
of design of the facilities for safety and the backup systems and
training in place in the event of operational failures are at a far
higher level of redundancy and contingent planning than virtually any
other industry. While the level of QA and QC and inspection, etc., in
the civilian aviation business is of similar level, there isn't a backup
parachute for everybody to bail. So, while remarkably safe overall,
airplanes do crash on occasion at a level of risk society in general
considers acceptable although regrettable when it does.

(*) There have been, of course, some industrial accidents where there
have been serious injuries and fatalities from falls or other industrial
causes, but none in which the nuclear characteristic of the facility had
anything to do with the accident. The nuclear safety itself that folks
are so inherently afraid of owing to the initial exposure by way of WWII
and the incessant drumming of the anti-nukes' propaganda continuing to
tie commercial power to weapons is simply not justified by the facts.

z December 29th 07 06:15 AM

Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

On Dec 26, 6:10*pm, (Don Klipstein) wrote:
In , z
wrote in part:

Well, although I generally disagree with everything in your post, I
agree with your basic premise, that eliminating incandescents is
silly. Never mind 12 degrees Fahrenheit, I've discovered differences
between brands of fluorescents in ability to fire up at temps at which
I keep my living quarters, broke as I am.

* Most with outer bulbs work just fine at any temperature I take without
needing climate control or at least a hooded sweatshirt. *And I am a hard
core cyclist with high metabolism and I complain about summer a lot, and I
don't mind cool places, and I know compact fluorescents that work well
there.
* Heck, use some outdoor types, such as Philips SL/O. *The main drawback
is that these wider temperature range ones with outer bulbs generally
start dimmer and take longer to warm up.

And, those times of year
when the fluorescents don't like to light because it's cold... are
times when there is no such thing as "waste heat" inside the house.

* Do you have oil heat? *Gas heat? *Heat pump? *If so, it should cost less
to get an extra whatever BTU per hour from those sources than from
resistive electrical heating.

Maybe folks in the great hot southland will benefit from switching
over to fluorescents, but up where the price of heating is more than
the price of air conditioning each year, not so much.

* I would rather pay 2 cents per 1,000 BTU for oil heat with today's
sky high oil prices (furnace efficiency was considered here) than 3-4
cents per 1,000 btu for electric heat. *In addition, I would want to
reduce my air conditioning bills!

*Plus, I have

dimmers.....- Hide quoted text -

Maybe the outdoor bulbs are designed to fire at lower temps than the
indoor bulbs? Anyway, yeah, electric heat is cheaper (although I
suspect a light bulb makes an efficient heater, compared to a furnace)
but even at twice the cost per net BTU, it obviously cuts the energy/
cost advantage of switching to fluorescents in half.

dpb December 29th 07 02:03 PM

jJim McLaughlin wrote:
Of course ifyou want to seea really safe and well run
nuclear power pogram, look at the US Nay.

Makes the civilian commercial power reactor programs
look poitiively Evel Knevil-ish.

Well, they're two _totally_ differing environments and there are
essentially no constraints in terms of cost on the military side so it's
hardly a fair comparison. Not to say anything against Adm Rickover's
legacy (after all, we built all their fuel for them in Lynchburg) but
just not the same animal--might as well compare a commercial airliner w/
a stealth bomber for radar evasion effectiveness.

Don Klipstein December 29th 07 05:53 PM

Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

In ,
z wrote in part:

Maybe the outdoor bulbs are designed to fire at lower temps than the
indoor bulbs?

Anyway, yeah, electric heat is cheaper

Where? Not USA national average, nor the metropolitan areas of NYC,
Chicago or Philadelphia.

A KWH of electricity pushed into a resistive heater is about 3413
BTU. A gallon of #2 fuel oil has about 142,000 BTU. Figure cost per BTU
for your area from these.

(although I
suspect a light bulb makes an efficient heater, compared to a furnace)

Actually, they are pretty efficient, except for top floor ones heating
your roof. Even the light becomes heat, except for the bit escaping
through your windows.

But I do think most furnaces are now a good 80% efficient and some are
closer to 90.

but even at twice the cost per net BTU, it obviously cuts the energy/
cost advantage of switching to fluorescents in half.

At my electricity rate (Philadelphia metro area), that's still quite a
bit, let alone full break when it is not heating season (almost half the
year, more for hardier people who hate heating costs), and more still when
it is air conditioning season (about 3 months).

jJim McLaughlin December 29th 07 06:41 PM

Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

Don Klipstein wrote:
In article , larry wrote:

In a year or two, all of your CFL complaints and CFLs will
be history too. In the past two months, I've seen a big
rise in local office space being finished out in ALL LED
lighting. It's instant on, it dims, it can change color

from red to violet, and it makes CF look like a real energy

hog.

The very most efficient LEDs that I have been able to buy are slightly
less efficient than T8 fluorescents. And ones that efficient only come in
an icy cold shade of white and in green.

LEDs are advancing gradually and their cost is coming down gradually.
It's going to be more than a couple years before they become the main
light source in homes or offices.

LED's aren't at CFL prices, yet, unless you average in the 10-20 year
life.

White ones mostly have rated life of 50,000 hours.

- Don Klipstein )

Thats what I've see, too. The LED "bulbs" *CURRENTLY AVAILABLE* are
energy hogs; have poor color rendition and are expensive

Hopefully three deficiencies will be remedied over time.

JoeSpareBedroom December 29th 07 07:02 PM

Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

"jJim McLaughlin" wrote in message
. ..
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

MERCIFUL SNIPPAGE

Time for a reality check. Boston is not a peninsula.

Oddly enough, neither is Long *Island*, but
Joe never lets facts get in the way of his fervid delusions.

It would certainly function as a peninsula, in the event of an evacuation.
But, you already knew that.

JoeSpareBedroom December 29th 07 07:03 PM

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

...and I wonder about nuclear plant security as well.

Ever been to visit a US commercial nuclear site?

--

No. But, my trust level these days is virtually zero.

Matches your credibility level.

Not surprisingly, you can't offer an example.

jJim McLaughlin December 29th 07 07:05 PM

Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

MERCIFUL SNIPPAGE

Based on everything I've read, much of the unrest in Saudi Arabia, for
instance, is *already* due to the gross inequities between the royals and
everyone else. This is why the royal family continues to support schools
whose teachers instruct students that WE are the reason for their miserable
lives.

We should've fulfilled their fantasies and put THEIR country under new
management, instead of Iraq. But, that would've required balls.

Wha's this "we" ****, Kimosabe?

You are wearing what uniform and on active duty with which branch
of the US armed forces.

Yeah, thats what I thought.

JoeSpareBedroom December 29th 07 07:15 PM

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

MERCIFUL SNIPPAGE

Based on everything I've read, much of the unrest in Saudi Arabia, for
instance, is *already* due to the gross inequities between the royals and
everyone else. This is why the royal family continues to support schools
whose teachers instruct students that WE are the reason for their
miserable lives.

We should've fulfilled their fantasies and put THEIR country under new
management, instead of Iraq. But, that would've required balls.

Wha's this "we" ****, Kimosabe?

You are wearing what uniform and on active duty with which branch
of the US armed forces.

Yeah, thats what I thought.

You're the queen of useless posts today, aren't you? Is this the best you
can do, obsessing about words like "we", instead of the substance of the
message?

jJim McLaughlin December 29th 07 08:31 PM

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

MERCIFUL SNIPPAGE

Based on everything I've read, much of the unrest in Saudi Arabia, for
instance, is *already* due to the gross inequities between the royals and
everyone else. This is why the royal family continues to support schools
whose teachers instruct students that WE are the reason for their
miserable lives.

We should've fulfilled their fantasies and put THEIR country under new
management, instead of Iraq. But, that would've required balls.

Wha's this "we" ****, Kimosabe?

You are wearing what uniform and on active duty with which branch
of the US armed forces.

Yeah, thats what I thought.

You're the queen of useless posts today, aren't you? Is this the best you
can do, obsessing about words like "we", instead of the substance of the
message?

Message?

Substance?

You?

Now that at least is funny and mildly entertainng.

JoeSpareBedroom December 29th 07 08:33 PM

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

[...]

Thank you for proving my point. You are afraid of dealing with substance.
Why is that? What conflict frowned upon in your family? Were you taught to
keep quiet to avoid being slapped around by one of your "fathers"?

jJim McLaughlin December 29th 07 08:56 PM

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

I have a theory which says that if bus occupancy increased that much, it
might be possible to buy more busses. I'm not sure, though.

I'll bet you're not.

Ridership has NOTHING to do (anymore) with buying new busses. Additional
fleecing of the non-riding taxpayer has EVERYTHING to do with it.

I was wondering when the psychotic trolls would chime in.

What part of Redfels post has anything to do with "...psychotic trolls..."?

Where I live, Portland, Oregon, the local mass transit agency, Tri-Met
makes no bones about the failure of the farebox to actually pay for
the service. Tri Met reports that less than 20% of costs are paid by he
farebox.

The rest comes from a special income tax on all businesses within the
Tri Met operating area
(major parts of 3 counties), whether those businesses are actually on
Tri Met lines;
have employees who ride Tri Met, or have customers who ride Tri Met to
the business.

Having lived in three major cities (NYC; Boston, D.C.) with real
transit systems
(Portland does not have a _real_ transit system) I have never seen a
transit
system that actually operates on fare box revenue. Every transit system
I've
requires a general tax revenue stream to operate it, and that tax stream
comes
predominately from non riders.

Whether using a dedicated tax revenue stream coming predominately from
non riders
to subsidize operation of a mass transit system is good public policy
or not
is a whole other debate, and not on topic in alt.home.repair.

Its sad that you consider a simple, true, factual statement to be a
"... psychotic troll...".

jJim McLaughlin December 29th 07 09:01 PM

Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

The point is that in some cities, mass transportation isn't foisted on
people. They choose to use it because the physical realities of
trying to drive into those cities make it insane to consider using a
car on a daily basis. People who use the word "foisted" must be
possessed by some sort of childish cowboy independence mentality. If
the light rail idea had become a reality here in my county, nobody
would've been forced to use it.

Yeah, but you (and millions of others) are forced to PAY for it.

Fares never come close to the operating budget.

We're forced to pay for all sorts of crap. I wouldn't mind paying for a
light rail system.

Then you'd be even more of a fool than you routinely demonstrate yourself
to be. Light rail doesn't work as mass transit No capacity, no speed.

Heavy rail works.

Busses work very very well.

Light rail is a farce.

You don't mind paying for the invasion of the wrong
country in the Middle East.