Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pull Chain for Ceiling Fan Light Doesn't Work

I little prologue: I bought a house with a remote controlled ceiling
fan (with 4 bulb light) in the living room. Problem is the lights
flicker. I think it's the remote control unit, so I took that part
out.

Okay, to the problem: There is a black, blue, white, and green wire
from the fan. I connected the black and blue to the black out of the
ceiling; the white to white; and the green to the ground. Fan comes
on and the chain operates its low-medium-high-off modes. Great! The
lights also come on but......the chain does not turn them off. I
bought a new chain switch and connected the wires coming out of it to
the respective blue and white wire groups for each bulb with the
little screw cap. Then each of those groups has a blue or white wire
that leaves those caps and travels up to connect to the fan part.

So I'm not sure why the fan chain works but not the light chain. Help?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 15:21:49 -0800 (PST), Ben22
wrote:

[...]

What happens when you disconnect and cap the blue wire from the
ceiling?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 21, 5:21*pm, Ben22 wrote:
[...]

Time to call an electrician. Sounds like you've tied the switch
directly across 120 v. The new switch is probably toast.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

You have two separate pull chain switches. The switch for the light should
be connected between the blue wire and whatever colored wire(s) that goes to
the light sockets. The white wire does not connect to the switch, but
splices directly to the white wires that go to the light sockets

"Ben22" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
hvacrmedic wrote:

Time to call an electrician. Sounds like you've tied the switch
directly across 120 v. The new switch is probably toast.

Huh?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ben22" wrote in message

[...]

The above poster is probably right in that I friend the switch. I
will try again with this connection. Reading it, it makes sense
actually.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Like you say; this, is a light problem )

How many wires in the ceiling box?

Instructions from some fans may say blue or red wire.

Switched!!?
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

If you had fried the switch you wouldn't be saying probably.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ben22" wrote in message

[...]

How the hell do you fry a switch with electricity? That's what switches
are for, for god's sake.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you had fried the switch you wouldn't be saying probably.

How the hell do you fry a switch with electricity? That's what switches
are for, for god's sake.

Black to one screw, white to the other... Turn the switch on... POOF!

Not to mention the contact wear each time the switch is operated.

I do think that many failures are mechanical - especially with those pull
chain switches.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 21, 11:53*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

"Ben22" wrote in message

[...]

are for, for god's sake.- Hide quoted text -

You probably shouldn't be messing with electricity either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ben22" wrote in message
[...]

Get a new chain. Buy about 3 feet, cut off the excess.