DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Water softener hammering problem (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/225679-water-softener-hammering-problem.html)

[email protected] December 11th 07 12:57 AM

Water softener hammering problem

I have recently put in a water softener in my home for the first
time. The softener came with a GE #760 control valve on it. When it
is regenerating there is a loud water hammer between cycles C4 & C5.
I also have an iron filter ahead of the softener. I have tried a 3/4"
hammer arrester before and after the softener with no luck. I also
ran a regeneration with the iron filter in bypass. The hammering
continued. I am on a well and other then the hammering the softener
works fine. Any ideas.

Jack Hammer December 11th 07 01:39 AM

On Dec 10, 5:57 pm, wrote:
I have recently put in a water softener in my home for the first
time. The softener came with a GE #760 control valve on it. When it
is regenerating there is a loud water hammer between cycles C4 & C5.
I also have an iron filter ahead of the softener. I have tried a 3/4"
hammer arrester before and after the softener with no luck. I also
ran a regeneration with the iron filter in bypass. The hammering
continued. I am on a well and other then the hammering the softener
works fine. Any ideas.

Call the person you bought it from. If you are sure that the
hammering is
in the backwashing valve and not something else. Sometimes a large
water flow
will cause something else to shake, rattle and role. While in backwash
mode use
a plastic handle screw driver and put the plastic to your temple as
you put the steel end
to other pipes. You will be able to narrow down to the exact spot.