DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Need Info on interior door code (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/225610-need-info-interior-door-code.html)

car crash December 10th 07 01:59 PM

Need Info on interior door code

I am framing for an interior door in my basement. Someone was telling
me that Ontario code says there has to be 2 top plates when
framing ? I asked around and others didn't seem to think so. It's
not a load bearing door at all. Does anyone know for certain if an
interior door in a basement has to have 2 top plates ? I only put one.

ransley December 10th 07 02:35 PM

On Dec 10, 7:59 am, car crash wrote:
I am framing for an interior door in my basement. Someone was telling
me that Ontario code says there has to be 2 top plates when
framing ? I asked around and others didn't seem to think so. It's
not a load bearing door at all. Does anyone know for certain if an
interior door in a basement has to have 2 top plates ? I only put one.

So call your citys building inspector dept.

willshak December 10th 07 03:16 PM

on 12/10/2007 8:59 AM car crash said the following:
I am framing for an interior door in my basement. Someone was telling
me that Ontario code says there has to be 2 top plates when
framing ? I asked around and others didn't seem to think so. It's
not a load bearing door at all. Does anyone know for certain if an
interior door in a basement has to have 2 top plates ? I only put one.

It's considered a partition wall. Most codes allow a single top plate
for a partition wall.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

EXT December 12th 07 04:57 PM

Need Info on interior door code

My 1970 copy (obsolete, I know) of "Canadian Wood-Frame House Construction"
put out by CMHC, shows that non-load bearing interior walls only require one
piece of 2" framing lumber over a door opening.