DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Want to install a door in hallway entrance (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/225582-want-install-door-hallway-entrance.html)

[email protected] December 10th 07 05:54 AM

Want to install a door in hallway entrance

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here is the pic of the
hallway entrance.
http://usera.imagecave.com/ronnald/hallway1.jpg

dimension: 41" wide

I would like to either install a pocket door or swing door (obviously
a swing would be easier). Couple questions, if I decide on a swing,
which way should it swing? If I decide on a pocket what things should
I take into consideration? Any other advice is appreciated!

dadiOH December 10th 07 08:58 AM

wrote:
Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here is the pic of the
hallway entrance.
http://usera.imagecave.com/ronnald/hallway1.jpg

dimension: 41" wide

I would like to either install a pocket door or swing door
(obviously a swing would be easier). Couple questions, if I decide
on a swing, which way should it swing? If I decide on a pocket what
things should I take into consideration? Any other advice is
appreciated!

My advice would be to forget both - especially the pocket - and to use
cafe doors. They would afford privacy without enclosing the area.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

HeyBub[_2_] December 10th 07 01:41 PM

wrote:
Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here is the pic of the
hallway entrance.
http://usera.imagecave.com/ronnald/hallway1.jpg

dimension: 41" wide

I would like to either install a pocket door or swing door (obviously
a swing would be easier). Couple questions, if I decide on a swing,
which way should it swing? If I decide on a pocket what things should
I take into consideration? Any other advice is appreciated!

Why?

Privacy? Noise? Demarcation? Security?

I, personally, prefer a hanging-bead curtain like you see in Gypsy movies.

marson December 10th 07 02:08 PM

On Dec 10, 6:41 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:
Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here is the pic of the
hallway entrance.
http://usera.imagecave.com/ronnald/hallway1.jpg

dimension: 41" wide

I would like to either install a pocket door or swing door (obviously
a swing would be easier). Couple questions, if I decide on a swing,
which way should it swing? If I decide on a pocket what things should
I take into consideration? Any other advice is appreciated!

pocket door would be a very large project. You would first have to figure out if that wall is a bearing wall. If it is, you would need a header. It also looks like there is some electrical that needs to be moved. Just that alone could be a huge project depending on where the wires run. Then for a 36" door, you have to make a 74" hole. Big project.

For a swing door. It should be hinged on the right side as you look
at the photo(because of your light switches) and can either swing into
the hall or out. 41" is tight, but a 36" door and trim will JUST
BARELY fit. (won't be such an issue if you don't mind ripping your
trim down) You should take your level and check for plumb, because if
the hallway walls out of plumb by more than say 1/4", you would be
better off with a 2'- 8" door.