DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What Causes This? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/224974-what-causes.html)

Dottie December 7th 07 12:23 AM

What Causes This?

My house has two outside faucets. One on the north side, where the
water line comes in to the house, is fine. The other one is on the
south side....right under the bathroom window. All the faucets in
that bathroom are fine, no noise. The outside faucet makes a jarring
racket that can be heard all over the house. Why? Is there anything
I can do? I know that air in the line can cause it - it's a vibration
type noise....but why just that faucet?

franz frippl December 7th 07 12:43 AM

What Causes This?

On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 16:23:15 -0800, Dottie wrote:

My house has two outside faucets. One on the north side, where the
water line comes in to the house, is fine. The other one is on the
south side....right under the bathroom window. All the faucets in that
bathroom are fine, no noise. The outside faucet makes a jarring racket
that can be heard all over the house. Why? Is there anything I can do?
I know that air in the line can cause it - it's a vibration type
noise....but why just that faucet?

Could it be a loose pipe near the faucet and the sound is being
transmitted via the entire piping system?

I would start wiggling pipes in the basement to see if any are loose. It
could be as simple as a missing pipe strap.

Oren December 7th 07 12:50 AM

What Causes This?

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 16:23:15 -0800 (PST), Dottie
wrote:

My house has two outside faucets. One on the north side, where the
water line comes in to the house, is fine. The other one is on the
south side....right under the bathroom window. All the faucets in
that bathroom are fine, no noise. The outside faucet makes a jarring
racket that can be heard all over the house. Why? Is there anything
I can do? I know that air in the line can cause it - it's a vibration
type noise....but why just that faucet?

Sounds like an anti siphon valve. Do you have one on the outside hose
bib?

Don Young December 7th 07 02:31 AM

What Causes This?

"Dottie" wrote in message
My house has two outside faucets. One on the north side, where the
water line comes in to the house, is fine. The other one is on the
south side....right under the bathroom window. All the faucets in
that bathroom are fine, no noise. The outside faucet makes a jarring
racket that can be heard all over the house. Why? Is there anything
I can do? I know that air in the line can cause it - it's a vibration
type noise....but why just that faucet?

It could be caused by a loose washer or worn threads on the stem. If you can
replace the washer tightly and snug up the stem seal that will lilkely stop
the noise.

Don Young

Walter R. December 7th 07 06:07 AM

What Causes This?

I had the same problem. Replaced the washer and no more machine gun noises.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net