Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Microwave Magnetron Tube

Hello. I have a less then 3 year old above the range microwave that all of
a sudden wont heat up. No flashes or pops, it just stopped heating up.
Everything else works, turns on, all the buttons, lights and fan. I noticed
that although my warranty was only one year that the magnetron tube is under
warranty for 8 years. Would the magnetron tube cause it not to heat up? Im
not really sure where to start with this so I thought I would start here.
Thanks for any help.

Thomas

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Thomas wrote:

Hello. I have a less then 3 year old above the range microwave that all of
a sudden wont heat up. No flashes or pops, it just stopped heating up.
Everything else works, turns on, all the buttons, lights and fan. I noticed
that although my warranty was only one year that the magnetron tube is under
warranty for 8 years. Would the magnetron tube cause it not to heat up? Im
not really sure where to start with this so I thought I would start here.
Thanks for any help.

Thomas

If the magnetron fails, it will not heat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 3, 1:41 am, "Thomas" wrote:
Hello. I have a less then 3 year old above the range microwave that all of
a sudden wont heat up. No flashes or pops, it just stopped heating up.
Everything else works, turns on, all the buttons, lights and fan. I noticed
that although my warranty was only one year that the magnetron tube is under
warranty for 8 years. Would the magnetron tube cause it not to heat up? Im
not really sure where to start with this so I thought I would start here.
Thanks for any help.

Thomas

Strongly advise that unless you are an 'experienced' electronics
transmitter/microwave technician DO NOT attempt to fix it it
yourself.
Lethal voltages (5000 volts etc.) and possibility of microwave
radiation if not reassembled correctly.
Microwave ovens are essentially a 1000 watt radio transmitter in a
metal box.
Please be very careful. The meat you cook could be yourself!
Yes it may be the magnetron, but unless the warranty covers ALL costs
including bench labour etc! And the warrantor may not tell you
correctly what was wrong? New m.waves can be bought relatively
cheaply.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Thomas" wrote in message
. net...
Hello. I have a less then 3 year old above the range microwave that all
of a sudden wont heat up. No flashes or pops, it just stopped heating up.
Everything else works, turns on, all the buttons, lights and fan. I
noticed that although my warranty was only one year that the magnetron
tube is under warranty for 8 years. Would the magnetron tube cause it not
to heat up? Im not really sure where to start with this so I thought I
would start here. Thanks for any help.

Thomas

Could be the magnetron, but there can be a dozen other reasons too, even a
faulty keypad.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

The most common problem I have run into while using microwaves for the past
30 years has been a blown fuse inside the cabinet. Easy and cheap to
replace. I keep a few spares taped to a corner inside the cabinet. Next is a
defective microswitch on the door, often there are two in series as a safety
to prevent operation while the door is not latched. Little bit more
difficult to obtain and a little bit more difficult to diagnose and replace.
But doable.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Thomas" wrote in message
. net...
Hello. I have a less then 3 year old above the range microwave that all
of a sudden wont heat up. No flashes or pops, it just stopped heating
up. Everything else works, turns on, all the buttons, lights and fan. I
noticed that although my warranty was only one year that the magnetron
tube is under warranty for 8 years. Would the magnetron tube cause it
not to heat up? Im not really sure where to start with this so I thought
I would start here. Thanks for any help.

Thomas

Could be the magnetron, but there can be a dozen other reasons too, even a
faulty keypad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hello. I have a less then 3 year old above the range microwave that
all of a sudden wont heat up. No flashes or pops, it just stopped
heating up. Everything else works, turns on, all the buttons, lights
and fan. I noticed that although my warranty was only one year that
the magnetron tube is under warranty for 8 years. Would the magnetron
tube cause it not to heat up?

Yes, a bad magnetron is one possible reason why your oven isn't heating.
However, there are numerous other reasons that could cause this as well. It
could also be a bad high voltage capacitor, bad diode, faulty door
switches, faulty control panel, burned wire, etc. Magnetrons "usually" hum
when they go bad, but not always. Microwaves store dangerous voltages even
when unplugged, so they're not really a fix-it-yourself item, even if you
can find a source for the parts. It's probably cheaper and easier to
recycle the old oven and buy a new one.

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 2, 10:41 pm, "Thomas" wrote:
Hello. I have a less then 3 year old above the range microwave that all of
a sudden wont heat up. No flashes or pops, it just stopped heating up.
Everything else works, turns on, all the buttons, lights and fan. I noticed
that although my warranty was only one year that the magnetron tube is under
warranty for 8 years. Would the magnetron tube cause it not to heat up? Im
not really sure where to start with this so I thought I would start here.
Thanks for any help.

Thomas

You could check out this web site I found in two seconds
by Goggling:

http://www.partselect.com/microwave+repair+repair.htm

[8~{} Uncle Monster