Posted to alt.home.repair

Default fridge not defrosting

I have a Jennair side-by-side fridge (Model 2388ATB ). It is just not
defrosting at all. I am doing that old fashion way by defrosting it
once every 2 months.

What parts may be at fault most likely? Give me some clue to work on.

Daniel, Toronto
Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Dan is offline

"dtong22" wrote in message
I have a Jennair side-by-side fridge (Model 2388ATB ). It is just not
defrosting at all. I am doing that old fashion way by defrosting it
once every 2 months.

What parts may be at fault most likely? Give me some clue to work on.

Daniel, Toronto

Frost free refrigerators have a small electrical heating element which is
switched on periodically to melt ice in the evaporator, the part that gets
cold. These are usually made up of a timer (mechanical or electronic) which
turns on the heater, the heater itself, and a thermal switch which opens
when the evaporator reaches a certain temperature deemed to indicate
"defrosted". Any one of these can fail, I've had all 3 fail in different
refrigerators. Pretty easy to test/repair. Here's some info:
http://www.appliance411.com/faq/howdefrostworks.shtml

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 2, 4:39 pm, "Dan" wrote:
"

Frost free refrigerators have a small electrical heating element which is
switched on periodically to melt ice in the evaporator, the part that gets
cold. These are usually made up of a timer (mechanical or electronic) which
turns on the heater, the heater itself, and a thermal switch which opens
when the evaporator reaches a certain temperature deemed to indicate
"defrosted". Any one of these can fail, I've had all 3 fail in different
refrigerators. Pretty easy to test/repair. Here's some info:http://www.appliance411.com/faq/howdefrostworks.shtml

Dan

Dan,

Thanks for the quick info. I am reading it now. This should help.

Daniel

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Dan is offline

"dtong22" wrote in message

Dan,

Thanks for the quick info. I am reading it now. This should help.

Daniel

Glad to help

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 2, 3:14 pm, dtong22 wrote:
I have a Jennair side-by-side fridge (Model 2388ATB ). It is just not
defrosting at all. I am doing that old fashion way by defrosting it
once every 2 months.

What parts may be at fault most likely? Give me some clue to work on.

Daniel, Toronto

Something in the defrost heater/timer system is kaput . Get what you
need at repairclinic.com, parts and advice.

Joe

Sub-Zero fridge freezer defrosting SQ Home Repair 8 June 19th 07 04:06 AM
Defrosting a fridge with a sharp object [email protected] Home Repair 13 July 31st 06 02:46 AM
Self-defrosting or frostfree mm Home Repair 2 April 12th 06 01:52 AM
defrosting windscreen Grumps UK diy 42 January 28th 06 12:27 PM
Defrosting heat pumps HvacTech2 Home Repair 10 February 1st 05 01:31 PM