DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   cement floor paint or stain (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/223428-re-cement-floor-paint-stain.html)

J. Davidson December 2nd 07 07:13 PM

cement floor paint or stain

The shop is all new, cement included. I believe now my husband is looking
at staining the floor, and we appreciate all the comments.
Thank you, Jackie

Don Phillipson December 2nd 07 08:33 PM

cement floor paint or stain

"J. Davidson" wrote in message

The shop is all new, cement included. I believe now my husband is looking
at staining the floor, and we appreciate all the comments.

Concrete floors should be treated, to repel spilled liquids
(if you plan to mop them up) and so that they do not give
off concrete dust. The treatment is not stain (as used
on wood) but a special paint for concrete. This requires
a special chemical primer so the paint adheres reliably.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

DanG December 3rd 07 01:43 AM

cement floor paint or stain

Phooey! It is an acid based stain made to color concrete. They
are made and marketed by several different manufacturers. There
are floor paints, their are floor epoxy paints, that is NOT what
is being discussed. Go here and learn:
http://thestampstore.com/tut_acidstain.html

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Mamba[_2_] December 3rd 07 07:43 PM

cement floor paint or stain

"J. Davidson" wrote in message
The shop is all new, cement included. I believe now my husband is looking
at staining the floor, and we appreciate all the comments.
Thank you, Jackie

A good friend owns a winery and sealed his cement flooring with an epoxy
compound. He colored it as well. The surface can be slightly roughened
during application for traction if desired, and is extremely durable and
waterproof.

Not sure how the costs to do something like this would compare with a more
conventional treatment like painting.