Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water Heater Question

I live in a mobilehome and I have a 6 month old GAS water heater
outside. I thought the water heater ONLY comes on when you use the HOT
water. I heard it come on this morning at 5:00 AM(it was really cold
outside) do not know if that makes a difference. It stayed on for 15
minutes. Is this normal? thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair
TH TH is offline

Normal. Heaters need to maintain the temperature of the water in the tank.
Heat losses are the reason that it comes on by itself.
"buffy92027" wrote in message
I live in a mobilehome and I have a 6 month old GAS water heater
outside. I thought the water heater ONLY comes on when you use the HOT
water. I heard it come on this morning at 5:00 AM(it was really cold
outside) do not know if that makes a difference. It stayed on for 15
minutes. Is this normal? thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

buffy92027 wrote:
I live in a mobilehome and I have a 6 month old GAS water heater
outside. I thought the water heater ONLY comes on when you use the HOT
water. I heard it come on this morning at 5:00 AM(it was really cold
outside) do not know if that makes a difference. It stayed on for 15
minutes. Is this normal? thanks

Assuming it is a tank type, this is perfectly normal. The heat will
radiate out of the tank even if you are not using the hot water, so the
gas burner will need to kick on 1-2x a day to keep it hot for when
you're ready to use it.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 20:23:02 -0500, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

"buffy92027" wrote in message
I live in a mobilehome and I have a 6 month old GAS water heater
outside. I thought the water heater ONLY comes on when you use the HOT
water. I heard it come on this morning at 5:00 AM(it was really cold
outside) do not know if that makes a difference. It stayed on for 15
minutes. Is this normal? thanks

There are two kinds of water heaters.

On Demand Heats water only when it is called for. It is small and has no
tank

Tank type Heats water in a tank and keeps it hot between uses. If this
heater is outside it will mean considerably higher water bills during the
winter.

I think you mean energy bill vs. water bill.

You say your water heater is outside. It certainly has to keep the
water above freezing and the pipes to and from it need to be kept above
freezing. Going below freezing can cause serious damage.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Dec 2, 1:40 pm, buffy92027 wrote:
I live in a mobilehome and I have a 6 month old GAS water heater
outside. I thought the water heater ONLY comes on when you use the HOT
water. I heard it come on this morning at 5:00 AM(it was really cold
outside) do not know if that makes a difference. It stayed on for 15
minutes. Is this normal? thanks

Your hot water heater is outside?

We first off, you need to protect it from the elements.

Second off, you need to insulate the **** out of it to control you
heating costs.

Water heater question dgk Home Repair 12 October 22nd 07 07:41 PM
Water heater question Ook Home Repair 23 March 27th 07 05:53 AM
hot water heater Question? Water in the thermostat access panel 13jane Home Repair 1 October 5th 06 09:46 PM
hot water heater Question? Water in the thermostat access panel 13jane Home Repair 4 October 5th 06 09:16 PM
Water heater question [email protected] Home Repair 6 May 18th 05 01:59 AM