Posted to alt.home.repair

Default battery float charger

It`s winter time and cold and as usual the tractor battery is almost
dead. The regular charger and the trickle charger boils
out the water. A neighbor says he uses a " float charger". Can someone
tell me what a float charger is amd what does it do?
Thanks a lot

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 2, 7:21 am, (Herb and Eneva) wrote:
It`s winter time and cold and as usual the tractor battery is almost
dead. The regular charger and the trickle charger boils
out the water. A neighbor says he uses a " float charger". Can someone
tell me what a float charger is amd what does it do?
Thanks a lot

It's a smarter charger which brings a 12V battery up to full charge,
which is around 14 volts, then backs off to a low current and monitors
it to keep it at around 13 volts, which keeps it charged without over
charging it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

For my motorhome batteries I use a
product called Battery Tender. I have
one for the vehicle battery and one for
the house battery. These units, and
I'm sure there are other brands, are
designed for long term use. They are
made to prevent boiling and other
battery damage. Google battery tender.

Herb and Eneva wrote:
It`s winter time and cold and as usual the tractor battery is almost
dead. The regular charger and the trickle charger boils
out the water. A neighbor says he uses a " float charger". Can someone
tell me what a float charger is amd what does it do?
Thanks a lot

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Herb and Eneva" wrote in message
It`s winter time and cold and as usual the tractor battery is almost
dead. The regular charger and the trickle charger boils
out the water. A neighbor says he uses a " float charger". Can someone
tell me what a float charger is amd what does it do?
Thanks a lot

Here's one from Harbor Freight which I have been using for the past several
years with no complaints.

It's usually $15, on sale right now for $7.49. HF isn't known for quality
tools but I have had good use from the one that I have.