Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cement floor stain or paint?

My husband just finished his shop and he wants to either paint or stain the
cement floor. Which is the better, more durable, method? Opinions please.
Jackie

Posted to alt.home.repair

J. Davidson wrote:

My husband just finished his shop and he wants to either paint or stain the
cement floor. Which is the better, more durable, method? Opinions please.
Jackie

Probably difficult to get good results with paint if there is grease/oil
in the concrete. Some painted concrete becomes terribly slippery when wet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 1, 8:00�pm, "J. Davidson" wrote:
My husband just finished his shop and he wants to either paint or stain the
cement floor. �Which is the better, more durable, method? �Opinions please.
Jackie

stain is better than paint, paint peels and no matter how good never
remains good looking long.

why not vinyl tile?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've heard mixing sand with paint to give it some grip when it gets
wet/greasey.

There is also actual garage floor paint/dye that has antislip properties.
not sure the name but a google search wouldn't go astray.

--
Steve
http://jackpot.netwinner.com/?signupCode=vwprheak
"Norminn" wrote in message
J. Davidson wrote:

My husband just finished his shop and he wants to either paint or stain
the
cement floor. Which is the better, more durable, method? Opinions
please.
Jackie

Probably difficult to get good results with paint if there is grease/oil
in the concrete. Some painted concrete becomes terribly slippery when
wet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In my opinion and experience:
Do NOT paint, not even the epoxies.

Stain with sealer is not bad. Be aware, the sealer will need
periodic reapplication.
http://www.thestampstore.com/ Look through their products and
examples.

Sealer on concrete may be the most forgiving. Think Home Depot
floor.

Ground and polished concrete for the elitists. This will still
require maintenance. Here is one example:
http://www.fgs-permashine.com/products-hardener.asp

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"J. Davidson" wrote in message
My husband just finished his shop and he wants to either paint
or stain the
cement floor. Which is the better, more durable, method?
Opinions please.
Jackie

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had a clean floor to start with. I did my garage/workshop area with
the epoxy stuff. One kit per single car garage size. Other than a
couple of spots where the tires have scuffed the stuff away (my fault
for not letting it likely cure completely), it is great. With the
smooth surface, it sweeps or hoses down nicely. There is an acid etch
with the kit that should clean things up pretty good. If there is a
lot of grease, all bets are off. About $65 for each kit. I have had it
in 18 months now. You sprinkle "speckles" on it, which breaks up any
irregularities in the concrete. It does have to be warm ( 60f) to use
the stuff, however, if that is an issue. Takes a couple of days to set
up/cure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "J. Davidson" wrote:
My husband just finished his shop and he wants to either paint or stain the
cement floor. Which is the better, more durable, method? Opinions please.

I'd go for a stain. A couple of good products:

http://www.hcconcrete.com/product/3011.asp

http://www.hcconcrete.com/product/3012.asp

The first one may not be available in your state (VOC regs).
The second one is water based and should be available
anywhere.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 1, 5:00 pm, "J. Davidson" wrote:
My husband just finished his shop and he wants to either paint or stain the
cement floor. Which is the better, more durable, method? Opinions please.
Jackie

What is condition of existing concrete? new? old? greasy? clean?
moisture barrier beneath slab?

I have painted several lab / shop floors; some new concrete, some
old.

and a couple of garage floors with Rustoleum 9100 Series DTM
Industrial Mastic

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 2, 12:59 am, BobK207 wrote:
On Dec 1, 5:00 pm, "J. Davidson" wrote:

My husband just finished his shop and he wants to either paint or stain the
cement floor. Which is the better, more durable, method? Opinions please.
Jackie

What is condition of existing concrete? new? old? greasy? clean?
moisture barrier beneath slab?

I have painted several lab / shop floors; some new concrete, some
old.

and a couple of garage floors with Rustoleum 9100 Series DTM
Industrial Mastic

cheers
Bob

Sherwin Williams carries HC oil stain it lasted 10 years in a garage
for cars and did not peal, but it is a toxic blend of toluene and
zylene.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 19:00:21 -0600, "J. Davidson"
wrote:

My husband just finished his shop and he wants to either paint or stain the
cement floor. Which is the better, more durable, method? Opinions please.
Jackie

There are some new acid etch/stain for concrete, that look really
good, but is quite pricey and i'm not sure it is a DIY job. I've seen
it in a few showrooms. They can make a pattern in it of any kind.

samurai

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
My husband just finished his shop and he wants to either paint or stain the
cement floor. Which is the better, more durable, method? Opinions please.
Jackie

There are some new acid etch/stain for concrete, that look really
good, but is quite pricey and i'm not sure it is a DIY job. I've seen
it in a few showrooms. They can make a pattern in it of any kind.

samurai

I have seen photos of the new acid etch process, it is worth looking
into