DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Removing a sprinkler head in its enterity (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/223325-removing-sprinkler-head-its-enterity.html)

[email protected] December 1st 07 09:32 PM

Removing a sprinkler head in its enterity

I'd like to remove a sprinkler head in it's entirety. To do this,
I'll remove the head, cut the pipe and repair the pipe with an
extension repair coupling. The question: Will this result in
noticable impact on water pressure etc.? In other words, could I
introduce air in the pipes or ... I'm just a novice here so I would
like to use caution before proceeding.

Thanks

Norminn December 1st 07 10:51 PM

wrote:

I'd like to remove a sprinkler head in it's entirety. To do this,
I'll remove the head, cut the pipe and repair the pipe with an
extension repair coupling. The question: Will this result in
noticable impact on water pressure etc.? In other words, could I
introduce air in the pipes or ... I'm just a novice here so I would
like to use caution before proceeding.

Thanks

You could just attach a cap to the pipe that the sprinkler head screws
onto so you can reverse it if you want. That would also allow you to
see if it makes a significant difference in the size or spray pattern of
the rest of the zone. Yes, it has an effect - depends on the size and
pattern of the removed head and the proportion of water it was using in
relation to the rest. What kind of head? How many on the zone?

[email protected] December 1st 07 11:00 PM

On Dec 1, 4:32 pm, wrote:
I'd like to remove a sprinkler head in it's entirety. To do this,
I'll remove the head, cut the pipe and repair the pipe with an
extension repair coupling. The question: Will this result in
noticable impact on water pressure etc.? In other words, could I
introduce air in the pipes or ... I'm just a novice here so I would
like to use caution before proceeding.

Thanks

You shouldn't even need to cut the pipe. With most sprinklers they
screw on to the end of a male elbow. You just need a cap of the
right size. No issue with air, it just gets displaced with water
again just like a garden hose.

The only issue though might be if this head your removing is on the
end of a run of pipe and the system is not self-draining. If that;s
the case, and it freezes in your area, then it might be that when you
blow the system out for the winter, you won't be able to get the water
out of that segement and it could freeze and crack.