Posted to alt.home.repair

Default installing tin backspash

I am going to insall a tin backsplash.. It looks easy enough.. cut the
tin sheets to size...

However, the kitchen walls are textured.. I don't know what it is--
whether a textured spray or stucco job.. It is kinda subtle in
texture, but enough to feel bumpy when I run my hand over it. Luckily,
the texture ends about a foot into the space between the counter and
the cabinets, so I got alot of smooth wall.

I am guessing I will need to sand this half foot area down, correct?
would a hand sander be highly recommended?

also, right above the stove is a slight bulge in the wall from a quick
patch job done awhile ago.. it is not noticible too much by sight,
just feel.. Is this bulge going to hinder in installing the back
splash? or, with the liquid nails and nailing of the tin sheets, the
tin back splash will be sufficently held in place..?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I guess we would have to know what you mean by tin. To my limited
knowledge, you won't be able to buy tin by the sheet.

I'm guessing you mean steel sheet iron, probably galvanized. I am
not here to question your choice of material, though the thought
does cross my mind. Stainless steel, aluminum sheet, brass,
copper, FRP, or paint-grip galvanized might be more appropriate.

Any one of these materials come in different gauges or decimal
designations. A fairly light weight thin sheet would be 29 gauge.
Unless you are talking about a material designated a foil which I
don't think you can buy as a sheet, any gauge material will more
than cover up any wall texture. The big issue, I think, will be
how you intend to install the sheeting. I don't have a
recommendation unless I know what material you intend to use. Be
aware that metal has a much greater shrink/grow factor due to heat
and cold and can be problematic to glue. I can't see any reason
to sand or remove the texture.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Chris" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

"Chris" wrote in message
I am going to insall a tin backsplash.. It looks easy enough.. cut the
tin sheets to size...

However, the kitchen walls are textured.. I don't know what it is--
whether a textured spray or stucco job.. It is kinda subtle in
texture, but enough to feel bumpy when I run my hand over it. Luckily,
the texture ends about a foot into the space between the counter and
the cabinets, so I got alot of smooth wall.

I am guessing I will need to sand this half foot area down, correct?
would a hand sander be highly recommended?

also, right above the stove is a slight bulge in the wall from a quick
patch job done awhile ago.. it is not noticible too much by sight,
just feel.. Is this bulge going to hinder in installing the back
splash? or, with the liquid nails and nailing of the tin sheets, the
tin back splash will be sufficently held in place..?

Apparently the people that make tin ceilings also make tin backsplashes.
Usually make out of aluminum. I think these would go over texture without
any problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DanG wrote:
[...]

http://www.tinceiling.com/finishes/finishes.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

DanG wrote:

I guess we would have to know what you mean by tin. To my limited
knowledge, you won't be able to buy tin by the sheet.

Why? Has homeland security declared it a terrorist weapon?
Try he http://www.advent-rm.com/lines.asp?c...&materialID=48
I don't think that he really wants tin, or if he does, he doesn't
want this purity.

Installing a hob Bob Martin UK diy 9 August 10th 06 06:41 PM
installing curtain rod Irrational Number Home Ownership 5 June 19th 06 07:38 AM
Installing bar sink in basement, need advice/help on installing drain in concrete Randall2n Home Repair 8 December 29th 03 03:20 PM
Installing New Dishwasher Brian Henderson Home Repair 14 December 9th 03 03:09 AM
Installing Tub Rich Anderson Home Repair 1 July 6th 03 12:07 AM