DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Return air grille replacement (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/223172-return-air-grille-replacement.html)

Mike November 30th 07 02:34 PM

Return air grille replacement

Hi All,

I have a 14x14 return air grille I want to replace. I got one from
Home Depot and while it's the same physical size, the screws are
centered in the new one, while the old one it looks like they were
made futher out near the edge. I can't use the new one because the
screws are in too far - they go through the sheetrock/drywall and hit
the outer metal frame of the return. The new grille is mild steel, I
assume, and I'm not sure how well drilling holes in the new one to
match the old one will work.

I'm thinking of getting a 16x16, centering it over the hole and just
drilling new holes in the sheetrock.

Any Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Edwin Pawlowski November 30th 07 05:00 PM

Return air grille replacement

"Mike" wrote in message
Hi All,

The new grille is mild steel, I
assume, and I'm not sure how well drilling holes in the new one to
match the old one will work.

I'm thinking of getting a 16x16, centering it over the hole and just
drilling new holes in the sheetrock.

Pick one:
1) Shorter screws
2) Drill the steel. Good bit will go through easily.
3) Use the larger grille

If you decide to drill the frame, put a pice of wood behind it as a backer
for the drill bit to hit when you go through. .

[email protected] November 30th 07 08:01 PM

Return air grille replacement

If it's like my house, a previous homeowner put in grills the wrong
size and sometimes type. Don't assume that what's in there is
correct. Also, places like Home Depot, Lowes, and Ace only have even
numberes sizes. I.E. - 6 x 10, 8 x 10. if you happen to need
something where one of the sides is an odd number, than you might have
to to go a HVAC supply place and order it. That's what someone did in
my house, went to HD, bought the closest thing, then put it on, then
painted over it (so not only was it the wrong size, it was horribly
ugly from the paint).