Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 1950's Bathroom

I was going to install my bathroom sink last week, but one of the wall
mounts has gone missing. It's a circa 1954 (that's the date stamped on
the back) Standard console sink. The type with the chrome legs. Here's
what the mount looks like:
http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i9...t=DSC_0168.jpg
http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i9...t=DSC_0169.jpg
I've seen plenty of these in Lowes and Home Depot with the round
inserts, but as you can see, my rails are square. Does anyone know
where I can find one of these with the square holes?
Bryan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 21:20:58 -0800, Totalrod2 wrote:

I was going to install my bathroom sink last week, but one of the wall
mounts has gone missing. It's a circa 1954 (that's the date stamped on
the back) Standard console sink. The type with the chrome legs. Here's
what the mount looks like:
http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/totalrod2/?

action=view&current=DSC_0168.jpg
http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/totalrod2/?

action=view&current=DSC_0169.jpg
I've seen plenty of these in Lowes and Home Depot with the round
inserts, but as you can see, my rails are square. Does anyone know where
I can find one of these with the square holes? Bryan

Depending where you live, try contacting an old timer plumber, plumbing
shop or wholesaler. If they do not have the part, they most likely will
know where to find it.

Another place might be

Howe Brothers Plumbing
http://www.howebrothers.com/

They are pretty good at finding old parts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

franz frippl wrote:
[...]

Also check the local Habitat for Humanity ReStore, if your town has one-
they often have ripout plumbing fixtures and parts. If you are near a
big city, look in their yellow pages for a real architectural salvage
place. A few years ago, as a gag, I gave my sister an 80 year old
clawfoot tub that I had bought out of a farmers field, that he was using
as a stock tank. (had to sandblast the outside, but the enamel was
perfect). Anyway, due to decades of sitting in mud, the feet were mostly
rusted away. She found exact matching feet at the first salvage place
she tried, in Indianapolis.

After painting the outside and cleaning, it was pretty enough that she
built a fancy bathroom around it. (Too bad she traded the husband in,
and left the tub behind, but that is another story....)

aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cool story. Thanks for the quick replies. I'm sorry it took so long
for me to respond, but I've been away from my computer for the past
couple of days. I'm going to give Howe Brothers a call on Monday. They
look promising. If that's doesn't work, I'll try the latter. We just
moved to South Carolina from Massachusetts, so I have know idea what's
here. I noticed an old appliance store/repair shop down the street
from us with three GE monitor top refrigerators for sale in the front
window. I have a monitor top fridge, so it's nice to have a source for
parts so close to home! Thanks again for the info.
Bryan