DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Chimney / ceiling is ugly. Ideas needed. (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/222956-chimney-ceiling-ugly-ideas-needed.html)

[email protected] November 28th 07 10:35 PM

Chimney / ceiling is ugly. Ideas needed.

Hi Folks.

I've just moved into a new house and the previous DIYer put in a free
standing fireplace. Where the flue goes into the insulated top chimney
part (Technical name unknown :), the hole in the ceiling looks like it
was cut with an old toothbrush. The hole is to large for the chimney,
out of centre and really ragged cut.

I am looking to somehow hide this ugliness. Are there any products /
trim for sale which will do the trick? Having a look on some fireplace
sites, there is no mention of something I am looking for.

Any ideas / pointers will be appreciated.

TIA.

Cheers,
Crispin

[email protected] November 29th 07 12:18 AM

On Nov 28, 7:35 pm, wrote:
Hi Folks.

I've just moved into a new house and the previous DIYer put in a free
standing fireplace. Where the flue goes into the insulated top chimney
part (Technical name unknown :), the hole in the ceiling looks like it
was cut with an old toothbrush. The hole is to large for the chimney,
out of centre and really ragged cut.

I am looking to somehow hide this ugliness. Are there any products /
trim for sale which will do the trick? Having a look on some fireplace
sites, there is no mention of something I am looking for.

Any ideas / pointers will be appreciated.

TIA.

Cheers,
Crispin

Take some measurements and go to your local wood stove outlet. You are
looking for a ceiling trim kit.

mike November 29th 07 12:24 AM

On Nov 28, 4:18 pm, wrote:
On Nov 28, 7:35 pm, wrote:

Hi Folks.

I've just moved into a new house and the previous DIYer put in a free
standing fireplace. Where the flue goes into the insulated top chimney
part (Technical name unknown :), the hole in the ceiling looks like it
was cut with an old toothbrush. The hole is to large for the chimney,
out of centre and really ragged cut.

I am looking to somehow hide this ugliness. Are there any products /
trim for sale which will do the trick? Having a look on some fireplace
sites, there is no mention of something I am looking for.

Any ideas / pointers will be appreciated.

TIA.

Cheers,
Crispin

Take some measurements and go to your local wood stove outlet. You are
looking for a ceiling trim kit.- Hide quoted text -

And if you don't have luck there, use black sheet metal and aviation
sheet metal snips.