DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cleaning mortor residue from quarry tile (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/222933-cleaning-mortor-residue-quarry-tile.html)

Bob F November 28th 07 07:33 PM

Cleaning mortor residue from quarry tile

I just removed some added on stones from an old tile fireplace hearth. The
mortor which was on the tile just lifted off, and scrubbing removed most of the
remaining mortor. There is a remaining film of mortor which apears to have
gotten into pores of the tile, and I would like to figure out a good way to
remove it. This appears to be just mortor 'powder' which got into pores during
the cleaning process. Can anyone suggest anything that would help remove this
residue?

Bob F

Oren November 28th 07 08:42 PM

Cleaning mortor residue from quarry tile

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 11:33:06 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

I just removed some added on stones from an old tile fireplace hearth. The
mortor which was on the tile just lifted off, and scrubbing removed most of the
remaining mortor. There is a remaining film of mortor which apears to have
gotten into pores of the tile, and I would like to figure out a good way to
remove it. This appears to be just mortor 'powder' which got into pores during
the cleaning process. Can anyone suggest anything that would help remove this
residue?

Bob F

You might try Sulfamic Acid Cleaner (TileLab®)

....remove grout haze, grout residue, water deposits and efflorescence
with a safe-to-use acidic treatment....

dadiOH November 28th 07 08:52 PM

Bob F wrote:
I just removed some added on stones from an old tile fireplace
hearth. The mortor which was on the tile just lifted off, and
scrubbing removed most of the remaining mortor. There is a
remaining film of mortor which apears to have gotten into pores of
the tile, and I would like to figure out a good way to remove it.
This appears to be just mortor 'powder' which got into pores during
the cleaning process. Can anyone suggest anything that would help
remove this residue?

Wash it/them.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

DanG November 29th 07 03:28 AM

Cleaning mortor residue from quarry tile

The most simple and usually effective thing is to wipe the tile
down with a very light oil like lemon oil. It dries to the touch,
but lets your rag pick up the really light film. Works quite well
on ceramic also.

--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

. ..