Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Constant flow of fresh air indoors ?

Is there such a product out there that could easily be mounted to a window
to send in a constant flow of fresh air?

This would be great for cold areas like here where its not a great energy
saver to open the windows when its always 10 degrees in the winter.

Im thinking of a device that filters (hepa filter) the air and warms the
temperature of the air to room temperature and then flows it indoors.

I have alot of allergies / chronic headaches and crap like that. If I dont
open the windows once every 3 days the stagnant air builds up and I feel
like crap again. Once I get fresh air in again I feel much better.

Im not even sure if such a product has even been invented yet? If not,
someone might be able to get rich trying.

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 22, 9:38 am, "john"
wrote:
Is there such a product out there that could easily be mounted to a window
to send in a constant flow of fresh air?

This would be great for cold areas like here where its not a great energy
saver to open the windows when its always 10 degrees in the winter.

Im thinking of a device that filters (hepa filter) the air and warms the
temperature of the air to room temperature and then flows it indoors.

I have alot of allergies / chronic headaches and crap like that. If I dont
open the windows once every 3 days the stagnant air builds up and I feel
like crap again. Once I get fresh air in again I feel much better.

Im not even sure if such a product has even been invented yet? If not,
someone might be able to get rich trying.

John

If you have a furnace and ductwork there are air exchangers that pull
in fresh air, but maybe you have other issues like mold somewhere.
Posted to alt.home.repair

john wrote:
Is there such a product out there that could easily be mounted to a
window to send in a constant flow of fresh air?

This would be great for cold areas like here where its not a great
energy saver to open the windows when its always 10 degrees in the winter.

Im thinking of a device that filters (hepa filter) the air and warms the
temperature of the air to room temperature and then flows it indoors.

I have alot of allergies / chronic headaches and crap like that. If I
dont open the windows once every 3 days the stagnant air builds up and I
feel like crap again. Once I get fresh air in again I feel much better.

Im not even sure if such a product has even been invented yet? If not,
someone might be able to get rich trying.

John

http://www.hometips.com/hyhw/energy/...ntilation.html

There are quite a few products on the market although I've not seen a
portable window-mounted type. But no doubt such a beast does exist
somewhere.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Posted to alt.home.repair

john wrote:
Is there such a product out there that could easily be mounted to a
window to send in a constant flow of fresh air?

This would be great for cold areas like here where its not a great
energy saver to open the windows when its always 10 degrees in the winter.

Im thinking of a device that filters (hepa filter) the air and warms the
temperature of the air to room temperature and then flows it indoors.

I have alot of allergies / chronic headaches and crap like that. If I
dont open the windows once every 3 days the stagnant air builds up and I
feel like crap again. Once I get fresh air in again I feel much better.

Im not even sure if such a product has even been invented yet? If not,
someone might be able to get rich trying.

John

You mean like this:

http://www.smarthome.com/3033.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks guys to helping me find out the official name for this. (Heat
Recovery Ventilator )

With your help, I googled and found this -

http://www.purifresh.com/HEPAHRVproduct.htm

Not sure about the quality and durability of it...but its the only one out
there so far.

Posted to alt.home.repair

john wrote:

Is there such a product out there that could easily be mounted to a
window to send in a constant flow of fresh air?

This would be great for cold areas like here where its not a great
energy saver to open the windows when its always 10 degrees in the
winter.

Im thinking of a device that filters (hepa filter) the air and warms
the temperature of the air to room temperature and then flows it indoors.

I have alot of allergies / chronic headaches and crap like that. If I
dont open the windows once every 3 days the stagnant air builds up and
I feel like crap again. Once I get fresh air in again I feel much
better.

Im not even sure if such a product has even been invented yet? If
not, someone might be able to get rich trying.

John

Our AC/heat pump has a gismo that can be adjusted to change the amount
of fresk, outdoor air taken in. Mebbe your furnace has the same.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:

I is not going to save any energy over opening the window.

I is, in an airtight house, but most US houses naturally leak 10 times more
fresh air than needed for health, so HRVs and ERVs are useless.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair

I is, in an airtight house, but most US houses naturally leak 10 times
more
fresh air than needed for health, so HRVs and ERVs are useless.

Nick

I dont know about that.... regardless of how much fresh air leaks out, if
there isnt any coming in....thats much worse. I'd rather have atleast some
fresh air circulating throughout.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:

There have been some heat exchangers that use the inside air that is
exhausting to warm the air coming in, but the theoretical best it can do
is 50%.

Not so. According to the National Research Council they're typically
70-80% efficient.

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/residential/p...rks.cfm?attr=4

The theoretical best it could do is higher than that, of course.

Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"john" wrote:

I is, in an airtight house, but most US houses naturally leak 10 times
more
fresh air than needed for health, so HRVs and ERVs are useless.

Nick

I dont know about that.... regardless of how much fresh air leaks out, if
there isnt any coming in....thats much worse. I'd rather have atleast some
fresh air circulating throughout.

Hmm, fresh air doesn't leak out. Stale air leaks out. And for every
stale molecule that leaks out, a fresh one has to leak in. Otherwise,
your house would soon implode.

Posted to alt.home.repair

john wrote:

I is, in an airtight house, but most US houses naturally leak 10 times
more fresh air than needed for health, so HRVs and ERVs are useless.

I dont know about that.... regardless of how much fresh air leaks out, if
there isnt any coming in....thats much worse.

If air leaks out and none leaks in your house will implode.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

Chris Friesen wrote:

Joseph Meehan wrote:

There have been some heat exchangers that use the inside air that
is exhausting to warm the air coming in, but the theoretical best it
can do is 50%.

Not so. According to the National Research Council they're typically
70-80% efficient.

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/residential/p...rks.cfm?attr=4

Does anyone know any theory that would prevent an impractically large heat
exchanger from being nearly 100% efficient?
If so, could you please present it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2007-11-23, Joseph Meehan wrote:

If you start with 80º interior and 60º exterior the best you can do is
to get 70º air coming into the home and 70º air exiting the home.

In a contra-flow heat exchanger, I believe you can get 100% heat
exchange, i.e. the air exiting the house is 60 degrees and the air
entering the house is 80 degrees.

Cheers, Wayne
Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

Joseph Meehan wrote:

What exactly is a contra-flow heat exchanger? How is it powered? If
it is not powered, how does it violate a basic law of physics?

On 2007-11-23, Joseph Meehan wrote:

If you start with 80º interior and 60º exterior the best you can do is
to get 70º air coming into the home and 70º air exiting the home.

In a contra-flow heat exchanger, I believe you can get 100% heat
exchange, i.e. the air exiting the house is 60 degrees and the air
entering the house is 80 degrees.

What law of physics did you have in mind, top poster?

Maybe you should read up on heat exchangers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_exchanger

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countercurrent_exchange

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:

What exactly is a contra-flow heat exchanger?

In a counterflow heat exchanger, hot and cold fluids flow in opposite
directions. If 100 F greywater flows into one end of a pipe and 60 F
fresh water flows into the other end of a tube inside the pipe with equal
flow rates C Btu/h-F and heat transfer area A in ft^2 and conductance
U Btu/h-F-ft^2, NTU = AU/C, E = NTU/(NTU+1), which can be very close
to 1 with large areas and low flow rates, ie close to 100% efficiency,
vs 50% max for a parallel flow exchanger with both fluids flowing in
the same direction.

We might drip 50 gallons per day (C = 50x8.33/24h = 17 Btu/h-F) into
a 1.25"x100' plastic pipe around a 3/4" tube with A = 100Pix3/4/12
= 19.6 ft^2 and U = 10 Btu/h-F-ft^2 and NTU = 19.6x10/17 = 11.5 and
E = 11.5/12.5 = 0.92, ie 92% efficiency. With 200' of pipe, E = 96%.

... How is it powered?

It isn't, other than some way to make the fluids move, eg gravity for
greywater and thermosyphoning for fresh water, in a vertical version.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've not heard of anyone doing this, but how about a flex hose like dryer
vent. From the air intake side of the furnace to an outdoor vent, like a
dryer vent. Every time the furnace runs, it would draw in some slight
ammount of fresh air from the outside. Of course, it would gently pressurize
the house so you'd lose some heat that way. But, it would be a convenient
way to do it, and it sounds like you're losing heat using the present sytem
of open windows every three days. So, it wouldn't be a major change in the
power bill.

I have done exactly that. It is some help.
Screen the inlet against critters.

Careful to place the intake far from any
combustion exhausts or even dryer vent.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 10:38:52 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I've not heard of anyone doing this, but how about a flex hose like dryer
vent. From the air intake side of the furnace to an outdoor vent, like a
dryer vent. Every time the furnace runs, it would draw in some slight
ammount of fresh air from the outside. Of course, it would gently pressurize
the house so you'd lose some heat that way. But, it would be a convenient
way to do it, and it sounds like you're losing heat using the present sytem
of open windows every three days. So, it wouldn't be a major change in the
power bill.

I do this but how would this "gently pressurize the house"?
At best it would equalize the pressure between outside and
inside. Realistically if you have a tight house you would still
have a slight vacuum in the house because the exhaust
flow of the furnace is the force that creates the vacuum
force at the inlet. The inlet is always trying to catch up with
the outlet but never actually does.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

I've not heard of anyone doing this, but how about a flex hose like dryer
vent. From the air intake side of the furnace to an outdoor vent, like a
dryer vent. Every time the furnace runs, it would draw in some slight
ammount of fresh air from the outside. Of course, it would gently pressurize
the house so you'd lose some heat that way. But, it would be a convenient
way to do it, and it sounds like you're losing heat using the present sytem
of open windows every three days. So, it wouldn't be a major change in the
power bill.

That's exactly what the hvac contractor did on my new house except that he used
solid 6" pipe, not flex hose. He said I could buy a powered damper, but he
didn't think would would be any better than a manual damper which is what we
ended up with.

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 22, 3:40 pm, "john"
wrote:
I is, in an airtight house, but most US houses naturally leak 10 times
more
fresh air than needed for health, so HRVs and ERVs are useless.

Nick

I dont know about that.... regardless of how much fresh air leaks out, if
there isnt any coming in....thats much worse. I'd rather have atleast some
fresh air circulating throughout.

In any house....EXACTLY the same amount of air that leaks out, leaks
in... think about it.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've not heard of anyone doing this, but how about a flex hose like dryer
vent. From the air intake side of the furnace to an outdoor vent, like a
dryer vent. Every time the furnace runs, it would draw in some slight
ammount of fresh air from the outside. Of course, it would gently pressurize
the house so you'd lose some heat that way.

That is EXACTLY what I did in my house and it works well. The slight
pressurization minimizes incoming drafts in the living area, we get
fresh air, and the furnace heats the air as it enters. I know it
costs a bit of fuel but probably saves a little due to the the cold
air not entering in the living spaces.

I think this is a great idea and should be standard practice.

Mark

Dura-Flow or Cura-Flow repiping. Ever heard of them? Andy Asberry Home Repair 0 April 2nd 07 02:15 AM
Can you use exterior paint indoors? Chris UK diy 7 June 19th 06 10:17 PM
Sandblasting Indoors BP Metalworking 3 January 12th 04 05:25 PM
Low flow bowl to a normal flow tank for toliet. Can I do this? mark Ransley Home Repair 11 November 28th 03 06:20 PM
Sanding indoors Dave Woodworking 7 September 10th 03 04:05 AM