Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can you paint an aluminum sliding glass door?

I have five sets of aluminum sliding glass doors, each 6' wide that opens
into an interior courtyard. They are all bronze in color.

I am wondering if it's possible to paint them white?

If not, is it economical to order all new metal parts in white (basically
replace everything except the glass) or it's not worth it as the labor cost
to take apart reassemble is prohibitive and may be more than just replacing
the entire door?

Thanks in advance,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I have five sets of aluminum sliding glass doors, each 6' wide that opens
into an interior courtyard. They are all bronze in color.

I am wondering if it's possible to paint them white?

If not, is it economical to order all new metal parts in white (basically
replace everything except the glass) or it's not worth it as the labor
cost to take apart reassemble is prohibitive and may be more than just
replacing the entire door?

You can paint them, but the finis is not as good as the factory baked on, of
course. As for replacing the metal parts, it would probably be cheaper and
easier to just replace the doors.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 21, 10:10 pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I have five sets of aluminum sliding glass doors, each 6' wide that opens
into an interior courtyard. They are all bronze in color.

I am wondering if it's possible to paint them white?

If not, is it economical to order all new metal parts in white (basically
replace everything except the glass) or it's not worth it as the labor cost
to take apart reassemble is prohibitive and may be more than just replacing
the entire door?

Thanks in advance,

MC

One fundamentally sound source of aluminum painting materials and
techniques is the aircraft industry. There are aircraft supply firms
that cater to amateurs typically members of the Experimental Aircraft
group. They have products that have been around for years. The
techniques can be quite demanding as the products are not your usual
idiot proof stuff meant for consumers, so don't expect a miracle with
little work. The end result ought to be very good, though... come to
think of it, most commercial aircraft look rather spiffy. HTH

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Joe wrote:

[...]

Yeah, and some builders swear that house enamel is the best aluminum
paint on the market at any price.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

snip

Yeah, and some builders swear that house enamel is the best aluminum
paint on the market at any price.

And most builders are in, done and gone and if it's cheap it's great.
They never see it flake and peel a year or two later. The reality is
that if it isn't made for the job it won't do the job and no amount of
hearsay will change that.
Cheers,

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Joe wrote:

snip

Yeah, and some builders swear that house enamel is the best aluminum
paint on the market at any price.

And most builders are in, done and gone and if it's cheap it's great.
They never see it flake and peel a year or two later. The reality is
that if it isn't made for the job it won't do the job and no amount of
hearsay will change that.
Cheers,

Joe

That was in reference to experimental *airplane* builders, Joe, not spec
house hustlers. There are a lot of very expensive paints for aluminum
airplanes, yet there remains some doubt about whether they're even
remotely worth the premium price. If it's good enough for an airplane,
it's good enough for a screen door. Of course, we all know how
significant a role preparation plays.

Replacing glass in sliding glass door Godfrey Muganda Home Repair 16 July 26th 16 06:44 PM
Sliding glass door (I need some help) AKA Gray Asphalt Home Repair 13 January 13th 07 10:31 PM
Old sliding glass door..... [email protected] Home Repair 3 September 16th 06 04:07 AM
best “Sliding glass door” ? TP Home Repair 7 June 10th 05 06:10 PM
Kitchen Cabinets: Sliding Aluminum Glass Doors and track system? HMFIC@1369 Woodworking 0 April 13th 05 06:40 AM