Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bathtub refinish in SF bay area - questions about the process and soon

Dear all, has anyone in the San Francisco Bay area gotten their old
bathtub refinished/reglazed? I have done some research and have
narrowed down to two companies:

Here is the bathtub that we are trying to refinish with Kohler Almond
color.
http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/...34608565873016

Company "Quality Refinishing": will charge $485 for basic work
* Will apply 6-8 layers of glaze
* Process: require 3-4 hours of work time, then 48 hours to dry. (only
come once?)
* Color: they said that they have "bone" color but I'm not sure
whether it's an exact match color of "Kohler almond"... for custom
color they would charge for $75 more
* No web site, not sure with BBB or not
* not sure whether they use epoxy paint or urethane finish coats

Company "Mr. Bathtub": will charge $525 for the work
* Will apply several layers of glaze (didn't mention)
* Process: require 2-4 hours of work time, then come back the next day
to finish up
* Color: has Kohler almond color as one of their "in stock" color
* Use urethane finish coats
* Has web site (http://www.mrbathtub.com/), and with BBB

Just wondering anyone has any experience with these two companies and
if so could you please provide some feedback on them? Also Mr. Bathtub
if you click on the "Process" tab you will see them mentioned
something about "proprietary bonding agent".. does anyone know
anything about this? Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"W.H." wrote in news:8de925ed-706b-45e5-9f97-
:

Dear all, has anyone in the San Francisco Bay area gotten their old
bathtub refinished/reglazed? I have done some research and have
narrowed down to two companies:

Here is the bathtub that we are trying to refinish with Kohler Almond
color.
http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/...34608565873016

Company "Quality Refinishing": will charge $485 for basic work
* Will apply 6-8 layers of glaze
* Process: require 3-4 hours of work time, then 48 hours to dry. (only
come once?)
* Color: they said that they have "bone" color but I'm not sure
whether it's an exact match color of "Kohler almond"... for custom
color they would charge for $75 more
* No web site, not sure with BBB or not

Google your local BBB and you can run a check on them.

* not sure whether they use epoxy paint or urethane finish coats

Company "Mr. Bathtub": will charge $525 for the work
* Will apply several layers of glaze (didn't mention)
* Process: require 2-4 hours of work time, then come back the next day
to finish up
* Color: has Kohler almond color as one of their "in stock" color
* Use urethane finish coats
* Has web site (http://www.mrbathtub.com/), and with BBB

Just wondering anyone has any experience with these two companies and
if so could you please provide some feedback on them? Also Mr. Bathtub
if you click on the "Process" tab you will see them mentioned
something about "proprietary bonding agent".. does anyone know
anything about this? Thanks!

No real experience,but;

I've read that the urethane final finishes are best,keep their gloss
better over time,don't yellow like Epoxy finishes.(affects white more than
colored finishes)

they still demand the use of non-abrasive cleaners like 409.

the bonding agent makes the epoxy undercoats adhere better.
I suspect the 2nd choice Mr.Bathtub has a better warranty,too,should be at
least 5 years,some do 10 yrs.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

I understand those refinish jobs only last about 5 years which is ok if you
just flip the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

After looking at the picture, it's unclear to me why you want to
refinish it. Perhaps you coan repost another picture of the inside of
the tub afer you have removed all the plastic containers in it and
given it a good cleaning. I assume that the tub is cast iron?

bathtub refinish orfbound Home Repair 5 December 19th 06 04:26 AM
Bathtub install questions Knit Chic Home Repair 1 June 28th 06 10:45 PM
Bathtub refinish James B Home Repair 8 January 12th 06 01:12 AM
Bathtub Questions Tim Home Repair 7 September 1st 04 01:24 AM