Posted to alt.home.repair

Default CFL bulbs

I have dimmer switches on almost all of my fixed lighting. I would like to
convert to CFL bulbs, but dimmable CFLs are hard to get, expensive and don't
seem to work that great. Question is can I install regular CFL bulbs in
fixture (with dimmer) if I keep the dimmer at max brightness?
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Frank
wrote:

I have dimmer switches on almost all of my fixed lighting. I would like to
convert to CFL bulbs, but dimmable CFLs are hard to get, expensive and don't
seem to work that great. Question is can I install regular CFL bulbs in
fixture (with dimmer) if I keep the dimmer at max brightness?
Frank

I've got CFL bulbs on a dimmer switch in my living room. Keeping the
dimmer at max brightness doesn't seem to adversely affect the bulbs or
the ambient light. You will find, however, that CFL bulbs react
strangely (compared to incandescent) when you turn the dimmer down. The
brightness reduces in "plateaus" rather than smoothly, and the lamps
never reach complete darkness.

I've also got a CFL bulb in the reading lamp next to my bed, which has
a dimmer on it. The dimmer causes this bulb to flicker annoyingly, and
so I never use the dimmer there. It's always at full intensity.

-Frank (a different one)

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 1:40 pm, "Frank" wrote:
I have dimmer switches on almost all of my fixed lighting. I would like to
convert to CFL bulbs, but dimmable CFLs are hard to get, expensive and don't
seem to work that great. Question is can I install regular CFL bulbs in
fixture (with dimmer) if I keep the dimmer at max brightness?
Frank

The point of a CFL is to conserve energy. If you run your CFL's
through a dimmer, you're not getting full savings since dimmers, even
at full brightness, consume some electricity - all that heat ain't
free! Older rheostat-style dimmers are the worst, but even the newest
solid state devices aren't 100% efficient.

Why not spend a few bucks and replace the dimmers with toggles,
especially if your dimmers are the rheostat-style ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Nov 20, 1:40 pm, "Frank" wrote:
I have dimmer switches on almost all of my fixed lighting. I would like to
convert to CFL bulbs, but dimmable CFLs are hard to get, expensive and don't
seem to work that great. Question is can I install regular CFL bulbs in
fixture (with dimmer) if I keep the dimmer at max brightness?
Frank

The point of a CFL is to conserve energy. If you run your CFL's
through a dimmer, you're not getting full savings since dimmers, even
at full brightness, consume some electricity - all that heat ain't
free! Older rheostat-style dimmers are the worst, but even the newest
solid state devices aren't 100% efficient.

Why not spend a few bucks and replace the dimmers with toggles,
especially if your dimmers are the rheostat-style ?

The efficiency of the usual dimmers is pretty good - they have a loss of
only a couple percent. And the rheostat ones are now very rare antiques.

And if anyone is looking for dimmable CFLs, I am now finding them at
Target.

- Don Klipstein )

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Klipstein wrote:

And if anyone is looking for dimmable CFLs, I am now finding them at
Target.

The best deals are on eBay. Watch who you buy from, prices fluctuate widely.

I've gotten some really super deals on dimmable CFLs, unmatched by any
retail store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Marilyn & Bob wrote:
This is all absurd. Just change out the switches. Standard light switches
are $1-$4 each depending on the quality.

Talk about absurd! If you're switching to CFL's, you can get dimmable
bulbs for $1.50, and you were buying bulbs in the first place.

Why in the world would anyone buy CFI's, switches, and face plates, just
to change bulbs?

Talk about it takes 2 morons to change a bulb. I think Marilyn & Bob
just got put into the joke.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff wrote:
I have seen dimmable ones at that price, where did you find them.

Thanks

eBay. I bought 12 qty, 15w=75w dimmables for $18, including shipping. I
was so pleased, I watched a certain person, which sells them, and waited
until I seen another deal listed, bought 12 more.

You can actually buy them for around 95 cents including shipping, if you
buy in a large quanity.

The pricing beats the heck out of the box stores, which I paid $11 for
4qty, 13w=60 NON-dimmables.

Sure makes you feel like you get ripped off, buying the retail market.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Marilyn & Bob wrote:

This is all absurd. Just change out the switches. Standard light switches
are $1-$4 each depending on the quality.

But what if you want the dimming capability?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CJT" wrote in message
Marilyn & Bob wrote:

This is all absurd. Just change out the switches. Standard light
switches are $1-$4 each depending on the quality.

But what if you want the dimming capability?

Did anybody read the OP's post? Or are you all trying to be difficult? The
OP asked: «Question is can I install regular CFL bulbs in fixture (with
dimmer) if I keep the dimmer at max brightness?» So no interest in dimming.
All I said was that for less than a dollar each, (and using the same
switchplate), one can do the job right by changing out the switch.
--
Peace,
BobJ

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote:
I have dimmer switches on almost all of my fixed lighting. I would like
to convert to CFL bulbs, but dimmable CFLs are hard to get, expensive and
don't seem to work that great. Question is can I install regular CFL
bulbs in fixture (with dimmer) if I keep the dimmer at max brightness?
Frank

Just a side note, while at the market the other day I found myself looking
over the display of light bulbs. They had a CF bulb that worked with a
three-way switch, 50-100-150 watt equivalent. I didn't know that there
was such a creature.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My original question regarding dimmer switches and regular CFL bulbs brought
two concerns.
First response indicated that the bulbs were fine at max brightness. Next
it was suggested I need to replace all dimmers with switches . Also was told
that using regular CFL bulbs with dimmer could be a hazard.
I don't want to replace the dimmers if I can help it ,might not like CFL
later. I was also told the dimmer switches use watts and the advantage of
CFLs would be lost. I can,t believe the dimmers can use more than 1 watt at
best.
Help please. I went into this question with a problem and ended really
screwed up
Happy Thanksgiving to you all .
and oh ya all you visitors from overseas and Canada happy bargain shopping
in The USA

Frank

Bulbs? The Medway Handyman UK diy 14 June 12th 07 11:49 PM
Comparison of Low Energy bulbs (was Compulsory low-energy light-bulbs) Derek Geldard UK diy 1 March 16th 07 04:52 PM
Bulbs in an LCD tv . Ken G. Electronics Repair 1 November 2nd 05 03:32 AM
GLS bulbs? Bert Coules UK diy 22 August 17th 05 11:15 PM
Bulbs John UK diy 9 August 12th 04 12:20 AM