DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Support for togue in groove flooring (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/221711-support-togue-groove-flooring.html)

Aaron Fude November 18th 07 09:10 PM

Support for togue in groove flooring

Hi,

There was compressed particle board in my tongue in groove floor which
I'm now replacing. Here's a picture (you can still see part of the
particle board next to the door trim on the left):

http://freeboundaries.com/floor.jpg

The problem, as you can see on the left, is that I can't get to one of
the joists that under the granite theshold. What can do here? I could
keep digging underneath, but then I will probably dislocate the
threshold. Is there a way to sister that joist? Or some other kind of
support?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

Charles Pisano November 18th 07 09:45 PM

Support for togue in groove flooring

Ok..First off, I have 3 sisters and I can tell you from experience you
don't want to 'sister' anything, unless of course you love satan...

And second, I think the bigger problem is the martian underneath your
floor..!

---------------------
Support for togue in groove flooring

Group: alt.home.repair Date: Sun, Nov 18, 2007, 1:10pm (EST-3) From:
(Aaron*Fude)

Oren November 18th 07 10:22 PM

Support for togue in groove flooring

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 13:10:38 -0800 (PST), Aaron Fude
wrote:

Hi,

There was compressed particle board in my tongue in groove floor which
I'm now replacing. Here's a picture (you can still see part of the
particle board next to the door trim on the left):

http://freeboundaries.com/floor.jpg

The problem, as you can see on the left, is that I can't get to one of
the joists that under the granite theshold. What can do here? I could
keep digging underneath, but then I will probably dislocate the
threshold. Is there a way to sister that joist? Or some other kind of
support?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

If I were fishing, I'd call it a "birds nest".

Cadbury's Finest November 18th 07 10:28 PM

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

There was compressed particle board in my tongue in groove floor which
I'm now replacing. Here's a picture (you can still see part of the
particle board next to the door trim on the left):

http://freeboundaries.com/floor.jpg

The problem, as you can see on the left, is that I can't get to one of
the joists that under the granite theshold. What can do here? I could
keep digging underneath, but then I will probably dislocate the
threshold. Is there a way to sister that joist? Or some other kind of
support?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

---

Why not just screw a supporting batten onto the side of the joist, so the
new board can rest on it? - sounds simple enough, or am I missing some
hidden facet of American house-building?

BTW, that wiring looks very untidy - it would never meet UK regulation ;)

[email protected] November 19th 07 12:23 AM

Support for togue in groove flooring

On Nov 18, 5:28 pm, "Cadbury's Finest"
wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

[...]

That seems a good approach.
One might add a support for the stone that would fill some of the
space and
a second piece attached to the first at a slightly lower top elevation
to support the floor.