Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mayag Dishwasher

I have a Maytag dishwasher that is about 10 years old. After it has
completed its cycle, I notice that cups and glasses that are upside down
have water on the base. Also, there does not seem to be hot air coming out
of the vent at the top when it goes through the dry cycle. Any suggestions
as to the cause/fix? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ultraglide" wrote in message
I have a Maytag dishwasher that is about 10 years old. After it has
completed its cycle, I notice that cups and glasses that are upside down
have water on the base. Also, there does not seem to be hot air coming out
of the vent at the top when it goes through the dry cycle. Any suggestions
as to the cause/fix? Thanks.

Did it used to have hot air? Possibly the heating element died. Check
www.applianceaid.com and www.repairclinic.com for some troubleshooting help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 2:33 pm, "Cshenk" wrote:
"Ultraglide" wrote

I have a Maytag dishwasher that is about 10 years old. After it has
completed its cycle, I notice that cups and glasses that are upside down
have water on the base. Also, there does not seem to be hot air coming out

I'll add to what Edwin said (Hi Edwin!). With a 10 year old machine, youve
probably reached diminishing returns on having it repaired. The average
lifecycle of a dishwasher is about 12 years. If you are handy and can fix
it yourself, agree with Ed that it sounds like the heating element except I
think you'd also not be getting truely hot water then as well.

If you have to bring someone in to fix it, labor and a 'house call' will run
you at least 50$ (before parts). New machines (simple ones at Maytag) are
299$

Mine blew some sort of gasket 3 weeks ago, was 10 years old. I talked to
the local Maytag repair place (really good people there. Very trustworthy
and honest). They explained that they couldnt tell if it was going to be a
10 min fix and just a new gasket (50$ roughly) or the harder design with
some other type of gasket (200$) until they came out (again, roughly 50$
'housecall').

Since the unit was older, starting to show failure a bit in other ways, and
not as energy or water efficient as the newer models, we got a new one.
Installation of a new machine bought there gives a price break so was 40$
and haul away of old machine was free.

The estimated difference in water and electric for *our* usage levels is
about 75$ a year. 4-5 years from now, it will have paid for itself and
will still be running whereas the old one would have bit the bullet even if
we had had it fixed.

Agree with Edwin and Cshenk. Also, I never use the heated dry. I
just open the door for a couple hours when it's finished and the water
dries out from most of the upside down cups, etc. Only a couple of
real deep ones have any left I make sure to put those on the angled
side of the bin to minimize the water.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Ultraglide" wrote in message

I have a Maytag dishwasher that is about 10 years old. After it has
completed its cycle, I notice that cups and glasses that are upside down
have water on the base. Also, there does not seem to be hot air coming out
of the vent at the top when it goes through the dry cycle. Any suggestions
as to the cause/fix? Thanks.

Did it used to have hot air? Possibly the heating element died. Check
www.applianceaid.com and www.repairclinic.com for some troubleshooting help.

Didn't they recall almost every dishwasher from that era? Ask the guy
who comes out on the recall whether it's working right.

G.E. Dishwasher Recall - What to do with Old Dishwasher Greg Wilkerson Home Repair 10 July 3rd 07 02:46 AM
Dishwasher help please [email protected] Home Repair 7 February 7th 07 04:03 PM
Dishwasher smithfarms pure kona Home Repair 10 March 10th 06 04:37 PM
Dishwasher Bob Home Repair 4 October 20th 05 10:04 AM
What to look for in Used Dishwasher? bryanska Home Repair 11 September 8th 05 05:44 AM