DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   "Stoopit" Drywall question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/221534-stoopit-drywall-question.html)

Rodger[_2_] November 18th 07 01:55 AM

"Stoopit" Drywall question

The mantra, "Always install the wallboards perpendicular to (across) the
joists on ceilings." is repeated everywhere, but I have strapping running
perpendicular to the joists on my basement ceiling. Do I install drywall
along the strapping (perpendicular to the joists) or perpendicular to the
strapping and, thus, along the joists?

- Rodger

Edwin Pawlowski November 18th 07 02:40 AM

"Stoopit" Drywall question

"Rodger" wrote in message news:xYM%i.813$HH2.70@edtnps82...
The mantra, "Always install the wallboards perpendicular to (across) the
joists on ceilings." is repeated everywhere, but I have strapping running
perpendicular to the joists on my basement ceiling. Do I install drywall
along the strapping (perpendicular to the joists) or perpendicular to the
strapping and, thus, along the joists?

- Rodger

Forget the joists in this case, use the strapping orientation the same way.

Mike Dobony November 18th 07 03:39 AM

"Stoopit" Drywall question

"Rodger" wrote in message news:xYM%i.813$HH2.70@edtnps82...
The mantra, "Always install the wallboards perpendicular to (across) the
joists on ceilings." is repeated everywhere, but I have strapping running
perpendicular to the joists on my basement ceiling. Do I install drywall
along the strapping (perpendicular to the joists) or perpendicular to the
strapping and, thus, along the joists?

- Rodger

Change that to "Always TRY to install the wallboards perpendicular to the
joists on the ceilings." Another one is to never break on a beam. I just
completed a number of new garages and the joists were running in both
directions. We ran them according to the dominant direction and put blocks
in the joints when we ran with the joists and ran them to overlap the beam
by a minimum of 6". In your case, run with the strapping, as you call it,
more commonly referred to as furring strips. The idea is to have the butt
joint running along a joist so the entire length can be nailed or screwed
down to prevent cracks.

Mike D.

Rodger[_2_] November 18th 07 12:16 PM

"Stoopit" Drywall question

Rodger wrote:
The mantra, "Always install the wallboards perpendicular to (across) the
joists on ceilings." is repeated everywhere, but I have strapping running
perpendicular to the joists on my basement ceiling. Do I install drywall
along the strapping (perpendicular to the joists) or perpendicular to the
strapping and, thus, along the joists?

- Rodger

Thanks to both!!

- Rodger