DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Switching to natural gas? ? ? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/221488-switching-natural-gas.html)

Ray November 17th 07 06:07 PM

Switching to natural gas? ? ?

For obvious reasons, we are thinking of switching from oil to natural gas to
fire the furnace for our steam radiator system in a six-unit coop apartment
building.

The furnace is fairly new. The question is, would we have to replace the
entire furnace, or could we simply convert the existing one for use with
gas?

Edwin Pawlowski November 17th 07 07:26 PM

Switching to natural gas? ? ?

"Ray" wrote in message
For obvious reasons, we are thinking of switching from oil to natural gas
to fire the furnace for our steam radiator system in a six-unit coop
apartment building.

The furnace is fairly new. The question is, would we have to replace the
entire furnace, or could we simply convert the existing one for use with
gas?

Depends. First of all, you don't have a furnace. Furnaces heat air. Boilers
heat water or make steam. Since you state you have steam heat, it is safe
to assume you have a boiler.

Boilers consists of two main sections. The burner and the heating chamber.
Most can be had from the factory with a choice of fuels or even dual fueled.
There is a very good chance you can convert to gas simply by changing
burners, installing the proper piping for the gas, then remove the oil tank.

For more details and cost estimates, call you boiler dealer.

Paul[_2_] November 17th 07 09:54 PM

Switching to natural gas? ? ?

"Ray" wrote in message
For obvious reasons, we are thinking of switching from oil to natural gas
to fire the furnace for our steam radiator system in a six-unit coop
apartment building.

The furnace is fairly new. The question is, would we have to replace the
entire furnace, or could we simply convert the existing one for use with
gas?

Have you done the price comparison to natural gas? It ain't cheap IMO.
Running about $11 - $15 MCF here in the midwest.

-- Paul

Edwin Pawlowski November 17th 07 10:11 PM

Switching to natural gas? ? ?

"Paul" wrote in message

The furnace is fairly new. The question is, would we have to replace the
entire furnace, or could we simply convert the existing one for use with
gas?

Have you done the price comparison to natural gas? It ain't cheap IMO.
Running about $11 - $15 MCF here in the midwest.

-- Paul

Compared to what? That would be a 30% savings for me right now. I'd
switch if I could.

Here is a cost calculator
http://hearth.com/econtent/index.php...on_calculator/

Pete C. November 17th 07 11:39 PM

Switching to natural gas? ? ?

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Ray" wrote in message
[...]

If the is a single boiler that serves a building with six apartments, I
expect it's a commercial sized unit. If so I would strongly recommend
replacing the burner with a dual fuel unit as opposed to a gas only
unit. Cost difference will be small and you don't lock yourself into
either fuel.

[email protected] November 18th 07 01:26 AM

Switching to natural gas? ? ?

On Nov 17, 6:39�pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Ray" wrote in message
[...]

either fuel.- Hide quoted text -

yeah PLUS you can buy fuel oil in advance, gas must be bought as used.

dual fuel much better!