Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help with Shop on a hill, water seeping in

Hello!

I'm finishing a pole shed with concrete floor, insulation, etc. It's on
a slight hill down a few hundred feet from the house. One side of the
shop is facing up a hill, and of course the other is facing down the hill.

Right now just the concrete floor is done, but the rest is getting
started this weekend.

Yesterday doing some work we noticed water leaking in from the side
facing up the hill... onto the concrete. Living in MN now I know this
spring after the snow melts it will probably be more of a problem with
water leaking in from the side.

Without doing full out drain tile, are there any suggestions on how to
help eliminate water leaking in from the "high side" of the shop into
the building? Damming? Trenching? Maybe a small tile about 2 feet in
the ground around that side of the building?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 16, 10:11�am, legbuh wrote:
Hello!

I'm finishing a pole shed with concrete floor, insulation, etc. �It's on
a slight hill down a few hundred feet from the house. �One side of the
shop is facing up a hill, and of course the other is facing down the hill.

Right now just the concrete floor is done, but the rest is getting
started this weekend.

Yesterday doing some work we noticed water leaking in from the side
facing up the hill... onto the concrete. �Living in MN now I know this
spring after the snow melts it will probably be more of a problem with
water leaking in from the side.

Without doing full out drain tile, are there any suggestions on how to
help eliminate water leaking in from the "high side" of the shop into
the building? �Damming? �Trenching? �Maybe a small tile about 2 feet in
the ground around that side of the building?

grade at least a few feet away from new builiding allowng a place for
water to go.

basically a gentle trench going downhill
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

A shallow ditch or swale on the high side to divert the water around the
building to the low side.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Me three, here. Give the water an alternate easier path to follow. Such
a simple concept, and yet SO often overlooked by dozer operators,
landscapers, and homeowners. (Like on this place, where they put the
addition where I'm pretty sure the water used to drain through, and
didn't make alternate arrangements. Still working on a way to fix that,
that doesn't require regrading and reseeding entire yard.)

In the case of a outbuilding cut into an existing hill, to avoid
reshaping the entire hill, you sometimes need to put a retaining wall 20
feet back or so, and slope the yard toward that. Doesn't have to be a
major production, often a couple of feet high is plenty. If ponding out
by the wall starts happening, you can always put in a drainage
ditch/swale, or even a drywell or tile to daylight, at your leisure.

aem sends...