Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Interior Water based Enamel ?

I was in a Sherwin Williams paint store today and one employee was
telling how the water based enamel outlasts the oil based enamel for
the interior of homes? Since I never used this type paint, does
anyone know if it is better than oil based ?

She did tell me it costs about $10 more per gallon than the oil based.
And in my opinion probably only worth using on new wood, not wood
already painted with oil based paint because of the prep work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Generally speaking (and the key word is generally), latex is superior to
oil in almost every case these days.
Yes, there are very specific applications where oil might be a better
choice...but damn few anymore.

Also generally speaking, you can use latex over oil...but not the reverse.
Some manufacturers suggest primer between the oil and the latex.

observer wrote in message
I was in a Sherwin Williams paint store today and one employee was
telling how the water based enamel outlasts the oil based enamel for
the interior of homes? Since I never used this type paint, does
anyone know if it is better than oil based ?

She did tell me it costs about $10 more per gallon than the oil based.
And in my opinion probably only worth using on new wood, not wood
already painted with oil based paint because of the prep work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 16, 9:38 am, "curmudgeon" wrote:
Generally speaking (and the key word is generally), latex is superior to
oil in almost every case these days.

??

In so far as I can tell, oil based paints are still vastly superior.
I certainly wouldn't pay more for a latex paint.
Havins said that, what type of paint I use varies as per the
application.