DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Designing fuel oil piping (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/221274-designing-fuel-oil-piping.html)

[email protected] November 16th 07 04:14 AM

Designing fuel oil piping

I'm piping a new tank for my oil furnace, and I've got a few
questions:

1) This is a two-line furnace. How is the second (return) fuel line
used? Does the furnace constantly recirc the fuel while running?
Why?

2) This is near Portland, OR. Typical lows in the winter get down to
mid 30's F. I have maybe a 50' run of pipe from the tank to the
furnace, most of it outside/above ground. Given the price of copper,
what's the minimum diameter tubing I can get away with? Can I use
smaller diameter for the return?

Thanks,

Kelly

Edwin Pawlowski November 16th 07 03:03 PM

Designing fuel oil piping

wrote in message
1) This is a two-line furnace. How is the second (return) fuel line
used? Does the furnace constantly recirc the fuel while running?
Why?

The pump operates at a constant speed and pressure. Recirculating hte oil
allows the pump to run at ist optimum flow and assues a good supply of oil
to the burner. You don't want the pump to run dry or to constantly run
against a dead head.

2) This is near Portland, OR. Typical lows in the winter get down to
mid 30's F. I have maybe a 50' run of pipe from the tank to the
furnace, most of it outside/above ground. Given the price of copper,
what's the minimum diameter tubing I can get away with? Can I use
smaller diameter for the return?

What does the pump manufacturer recommend? Follow their su ggestions.
Saving $20 on copper may end up costing you a new pump in a year or two.
This is not a place to skimp.