Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas line insurance program

For years, I've been receiving information through the gas company, about
gas line replacement insurance. I always shrugged this one off, because it
seemed like an unnecessary expense.

However, I was talking with a distant relative the other day, and they
mentioned their gas line was being replaced. The gas company had shut off
their gas, because there was a leak in the line going to the house. The
relative got estimates, ranging from $3,000, upto $5,000, and everything in
between. Unfortunately, they didn't have the insurance, and they have to
pay out of pocket for this expense.

At $3.75 per month added expense, this seems like a no brainer for my 30
yr. old home.

Question being, does anyone here carry this insurance, and if so, did it
ever pay off?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 15, 5:10�pm, "Ron Oakley" wrote:
For years, I've been receiving information through the gas company, about
gas line replacement insurance. I always shrugged this one off, because it
seemed like an unnecessary expense.

However, I was talking with a distant relative the other day, and they
mentioned their gas line was being replaced. The gas company had shut off
their gas, because there was a leak in the line going to the house. The
relative got estimates, ranging from $3,000, upto $5,000, and everything in
between. Unfortunately, they didn't have the insurance, and they have to
pay out of pocket for this expense.

At $3.75 per month added expense, this seems like a no brainer for my 30
yr. old home.

Question being, does anyone here carry this insurance, and if so, did it
ever pay off?

Thanks

get a estimate on your line, see what it costs.

around here they snake a new plastic line thru the old metal one,
about $1500 for replacement.

now think if you had paid that insurance money for the last 30 years

you can be insurance poor if you arent careful
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

What gas line are they insuring. The line from the street main to the meter
is usually owned by the gas company -- are they trying to get you to buy
insurance on their pipe?

After the meter and through the house, you own the pipe. Unless the pipe is
rusting out in the rain or runs through fill under a concrete floor, there
is no reason the pipe shouldn't last 50 to 100 years, so why insure it? If
you have a gas line buried in or under concrete or rusting in the outdoors,
you may want to buy insurance for it. It all depends on your situation, if
you have a risk.

"Ron Oakley" wrote in message
For years, I've been receiving information through the gas company, about
gas line replacement insurance. I always shrugged this one off, because it
seemed like an unnecessary expense.

However, I was talking with a distant relative the other day, and they
mentioned their gas line was being replaced. The gas company had shut off
their gas, because there was a leak in the line going to the house. The
relative got estimates, ranging from $3,000, upto $5,000, and everything
in between. Unfortunately, they didn't have the insurance, and they have
to pay out of pocket for this expense.

At $3.75 per month added expense, this seems like a no brainer for my 30
yr. old home.

Question being, does anyone here carry this insurance, and if so, did it
ever pay off?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Ron Oakley"
wrote:

For years, I've been receiving information through the gas company, about
gas line replacement insurance. I always shrugged this one off, because it
seemed like an unnecessary expense.

However, I was talking with a distant relative the other day, and they
mentioned their gas line was being replaced. The gas company had shut off
their gas, because there was a leak in the line going to the house. The
relative got estimates, ranging from $3,000, upto $5,000, and everything in
between. Unfortunately, they didn't have the insurance, and they have to
pay out of pocket for this expense.

At $3.75 per month added expense, this seems like a no brainer for my 30
yr. old home.

Question being, does anyone here carry this insurance, and if so, did it
ever pay off?

Thanks

No, and I wouldn't. But I did get a gas bill about twenty years ago, for
around $1800 IIRC. And a note saying they had shut the valve at the
meter. My landlord hired a guy and they dug up the pipe in various
places as it zigzagged 1/4 mile or more up a steep hillside to my house.

Every place they found pipe, they cut it, and pressurized a section at a
time. They found the leak and fixed it in less than a day. Probably cost
him $200 out of pocket, and the gas company discounted the bill by about
75%, too.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 15, 4:10 pm, "Ron Oakley" wrote:
For years, I've been receiving information through the gas company, about
gas line replacement insurance. I always shrugged this one off, because it
seemed like an unnecessary expense.

However, I was talking with a distant relative the other day, and they
mentioned their gas line was being replaced. The gas company had shut off
their gas, because there was a leak in the line going to the house. The
relative got estimates, ranging from $3,000, upto $5,000, and everything in
between. Unfortunately, they didn't have the insurance, and they have to
pay out of pocket for this expense.

At $3.75 per month added expense, this seems like a no brainer for my 30
yr. old home.

Question being, does anyone here carry this insurance, and if so, did it
ever pay off?

Thanks

Never heard of this gambit, at least not from our utility, NICOR.
Their usual practice on a new line is to provide the first 60' free,
and bill the customer a nominal sum for the excess. So far as I know,
replacement follows the same plan. Wouldn't make insurance much of a
bargain in this venue even if offered.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 17:06:33 -0800 (PST), Joe wrote:

[...]

You can buy insurance for anything and everything these days.
Just to prove it, I went to google and did a search for "erection
insurance". There were 1660 hits. I guess if you're worried about
losing your wife or any other woman, you really should invest in
erection insurance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
Back in the days of Indiana Bell, they had (and still do) have
Linebacker that would pay for their people to work on inside wiring if
you had a problem. Back when it started the service call was something
like $50 and I figured as long as I did not have to call them out more
than once every ten years, I was money ahead. At the time I (or my
family when I was growing up) had had phones for over 40 years with no
problems. I figured it was a safe bet. It was.

I had the phone company out once. When the serviceman tried disconnecting
the house from their lines, the connection block broke. He as PO'd that
they now used cheap imported junk and replaced it. He then found the
problem to be on my side. After fixing that, he was still PO'd about the
broken part on their side so he wrote up the entire bill as their fault. NC
to me.

After 43 years of home ownership, one service call would still be cheaper
than paying $36 a year for insurance. In today's money, I'm about $1500
ahead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

if you can afford the hit cost of a new line then insurance really
isnt necessary.

but again I say get a estimate NOW so you know the expected costs and
perhaps begin putting the insurance money away monthly .......

can create a nice savings account that way
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 16, 10:28 am, " wrote:
if you can afford the hit cost of a new line then insurance really
isnt necessary.

but again I say get a estimate NOW so you know the expected costs and
perhaps begin putting the insurance money away monthly .......

can create a nice savings account that way

Don't put the money in a savings account...split the funds between
stock in the insurance company and the utility. Odds are your ROR will
be higher than any bank's interest rates.

The company (EAS) that owns my local utility is up 10.5% YTD.

Financials are down right now, due to the sub-prime mortgage issues,
but that just makes it a buying opportunity. Long-term average annual
return is well over 10%. Most insurance carriers don't lose money over
the long run.

Past performance is not a guarantee of future results. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 17, 6:01 pm, "Mark" wrote:
Sometimes the line is owned by the utility to the point it connects to the
meter or enters the home. Here in Central Ohio that's not the case - the
owner is responsible from the street shut-off. In my case I did decide to
go for the insurance. I'm pretty sure the gas line is original to home
built in 1942 - I know it's been in since before 1977 when I moves in. In
my case it can't repaired be 'snaking' new plastic in the old pipe since the
line comes up along the side of the home and turns to enter the house. The
underground turn would add cost to the repair. So, at $3/mo I'm feeling
pretty comfortable with the insurance. I'll pay it for 80+ years before it
costs me the $3000+ it would cost to repair the line.

anews.com...

"Ron Oakley" wrote in message
For years, I've been receiving information through the gas company, about
gas line replacement insurance. I always shrugged this one off, because
it seemed like an unnecessary expense.

However, I was talking with a distant relative the other day, and they
mentioned their gas line was being replaced. The gas company had shut off
their gas, because there was a leak in the line going to the house. The
relative got estimates, ranging from $3,000, upto $5,000, and everything
in between. Unfortunately, they didn't have the insurance, and they have
to pay out of pocket for this expense.

At $3.75 per month added expense, this seems like a no brainer for my 30
yr. old home.

Question being, does anyone here carry this insurance, and if so, did it
ever pay off?

Thanks- Hide quoted text -

I'll pay it for 80+ years before it costs me the $3000+ it would
cost to repair the line.

Yeah, but after that you're just throwing money away.