Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to fix leak

On Nov 12, 3:05 pm, Speedy Jim wrote:
wrote:
I have a leak in solder connection on 1 inch cast copper/brass? "T" .....
this is hot water pipe for Boiler/home heating system..... I have made
several modifications and when I refilled with water and pressurized found
very small leak....about 5 drops a minute.....I thought I could repair with
epoxy putty, but did not work...tried twice and still leaks, seem like the
epoxy putty just does not seal the uneven surface of the cast copper/brass
"T" fitting...and after 1/2 hour or so starts leaking again.........I know
the right way to fix is to drain system and re solder connection, would like
to avoid this if I can till next summer when I have to drain again
anyway........Is there another product that might work?

Google: Boiler Stop Leak

A number of liquid and powder-mix products which
might be very effective for your problem.

Or-
The leak may plug itself over time due to the
gunk (tech term) in the boiler water.

Jim

I don't know anything about home boiler systems, so this might be way
off base, but I'll throw it out there anyway...

An automobile radiator repair guy once told me that stop-leak products
can cause more problems than they fix. Since they are made to clog up
leaks, they may also clog up any passages that have narrowed due to
corrosion and gunk, reducing the efficiency of the radiator.

Granted, the passageways in a home boiler system might be so large
that this is not an issue, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Leak [email protected] Home Repair 0 October 19th 07 05:44 AM
I've just had a leak :-) The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 4 September 21st 06 10:45 PM
I'm puzzled about my leaking roof. It's not leaking like a leak should leak. Daniel Cullpeppper Home Repair 10 April 30th 06 04:16 AM
Serious gas leak [email protected] Home Repair 6 December 6th 05 01:32 PM
Gas leak! Stuck valve Home Repair 5 December 14th 04 04:19 AM