Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How strong is my floor?

I'm planning to put a jetted tub in a bathroom, but I'm concerned that
the floor may not support it adequately. I understand I need 15lbs per
square foot?? How far apart should the joists be, and if they are not
close enough, how can I improve support?
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

what's there now ? how long are the floor joists, what dimension
(2x10 ?), and how far apart (16" ?). where the tub would be is there
a wall underneath to carry the load down, or do you need to depend on
the joists ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

pollyfan wrote:

I'm planning to put a jetted tub in a bathroom, but I'm concerned that
the floor may not support it adequately. I understand I need 15lbs per
square foot?? How far apart should the joists be, and if they are not
close enough, how can I improve support?
Thanks

Hi,
Joist is typically 16" OC. If the house is built properly, it'll support
the tub without any trouble. My house has a Jaccuzi tub in our master
bathroom upstairs. No issues at all.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

Hi,
Joist is typically 16" OC. If the house is built properly, it'll support
the tub without any trouble. My house has a Jaccuzi tub in our master
bathroom upstairs. No issues at all.

Don't count on that. Find out for sure what the spacing is. There are
quite
a few products out there now that only require floor joist to be 24"
o.c.. Look
in your basement/crawlspace if you have one.
Lou

Posted to alt.home.repair

"pollyfan" wrote in message
ups.com...

I'm planning to put a jetted tub in a bathroom, but I'm concerned that
the floor may not support it adequately. I understand I need 15lbs per
square foot?? How far apart should the joists be, and if they are not
close enough, how can I improve support?

Your municipal building permit office can tell you.
You are probably required to get a building permit
for this refit anyway.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

No wall under the proposed space. The joists are 2x9, and where the
bath will go they are (oddly) 4", 12", 13", and 4" apart! Also the
floorboards above them are set diagonally across them--don't know if
that spreads the load any differently.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 11, 7:42 pm, pollyfan wrote:
No wall under the proposed space. The joists are 2x9, and where the
bath will go they are (oddly) 4", 12", 13", and 4" apart! Also the
floorboards above them are set diagonally across them--don't know if
that spreads the load any differently.

The span of the joists also enter into this.

Google "floor joist load calculator' for some additional information.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lou wrote:

Hi,
Joist is typically 16" OC. If the house is built properly, it'll support
the tub without any trouble. My house has a Jaccuzi tub in our master
bathroom upstairs. No issues at all.

Don't count on that. Find out for sure what the spacing is. There are
quite
a few products out there now that only require floor joist to be 24"
o.c.. Look
in your basement/crawlspace if you have one.
Lou

Hmmm,
This house of mine was designed and custom built by us in 1994. None of
such thing as OSB panels, laminated beams, engineered floor like craps.
Joists are 16" OC of course. Two person Jaccuzi in our bathroom never
even caused floor squeak.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Lou wrote:

Hi,
Joist is typically 16" OC. If the house is built properly, it'll support
the tub without any trouble. My house has a Jaccuzi tub in our master
bathroom upstairs. No issues at all.

Don't count on that. Find out for sure what the spacing is. There are
quite
a few products out there now that only require floor joist to be 24"
o.c.. Look
in your basement/crawlspace if you have one.
Lou

Hmmm,
I know every thing about this house of mine built in '94. Wife designed
it with a help from an architect, hired a contractor with excellent
reputation(he built our last house). I still have a set of blue prints.
Framing, wiring, plumbing, hvac duct runs all can be checked and traced.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 13:28:25 -0800, pollyfan
wrote:

I'm planning to put a jetted tub in a bathroom, but I'm concerned that
the floor may not support it adequately. I understand I need 15lbs per
square foot?? How far apart should the joists be, and if they are not
close enough, how can I improve support?
Thanks

There's a simple test. Rent a cow for the weekend. Walk the cow into
your bathroom. If the floor holds the cow, you are fine. If not you
need to replace the floor and the cow, but you'll have lots of
hamburgers to complete the job.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

Hmmm,
I know every thing about this house of mine built in '94. Wife designed
it with a help from an architect, hired a contractor with excellent
reputation(he built our last house). I still have a set of blue prints.
Framing, wiring, plumbing, hvac duct runs all can be checked and traced.

Sooooo, what does this have to do with the OP's question?
Lou