Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Making double glazed windows. This possible !!!

I was thinking of putting some Plexiglass pains into my existing
windows, they have the room for them, just measured and I can easily
fit a 4mm pain of flexiglass on the outside.

I know If i add a pain it will block more noise, but to make it work
better you would have to take the air out of the gap, just wondering
if this would be possible and make it keep the vacum ??

Maybe it wont be needed after I fit the extra pains and the noise
reduction would be enough, but allways looking for a project

Any ideas on makeing this work would be nice

Thanks.

Also any thought son the 4mm plexiglass and how much noise youthink it
would block and if it would block high freqenecy or low frequencys
better.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The walls are brick it's the windows that are the problems and the
Balcony door, very flilmsy.

Going to put some heavey curtians up to see if that helps any.

Thanks.

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 14:48:18 -0500, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Well not so fast there partner. :-)

The Plexiglas would bend if you tried to pull a vacuum. The glass would
break. In the double glazed windows the space between the panes is filled
with a dry gas. For some it is just dry air others use special mixes,
chosen to reduce heat transfer.

I suggest you take a look at:

http://www.soundproofing.org/

In general you want to block air exchange. Air caries sound very well.
(Try opening your car's window as a train is going by.)

Next you want weight. Heavy things (drywall lead sheets etc.) block
sound well.

You also want to prevent any direct solid connections. Stagger wall
studs or use special isolation devices to keep the sound from traveling
through the wall (remember the two cans on a string (well wire actuarially
worked) you want to break the wire).

Filling in wall cavities with sound absorbing materials (accustical
fiberglass bats) will do a little.

Point source control (special absorption material) at the source of the
sound will also help.

As I recall the best sound control is to block the sound before it
reaches the window. If not then really thick glass or Plexiglas, such as
the hurricane proof stuff used in hurricane prone areas. Also heavy drapes
may help. Of course make sure it is really coming in via the glass. Often
it is not the prime source.

Good Luck

"No noise Please." wrote in message
.. .

I was thinking of putting some Plexiglass pains into my existing
windows, they have the room for them, just measured and I can easily
fit a 4mm pain of flexiglass on the outside.

I know If i add a pain it will block more noise, but to make it work
better you would have to take the air out of the gap, just wondering
if this would be possible and make it keep the vacum ??

Maybe it wont be needed after I fit the extra pains and the noise
reduction would be enough, but allways looking for a project

Any ideas on makeing this work would be nice

Thanks.

Also any thought son the 4mm plexiglass and how much noise youthink it
would block and if it would block high freqenecy or low frequencys
better.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Nov 11, 2:19 pm, No noise Please. wrote:
I was thinking of putting some Plexiglass pains into my existing
windows, they have the room for them, just measured and I can easily
fit a 4mm pain of flexiglass on the outside.

I know If i add a pain it will block more noise, but to make it work
better you would have to take the air out of the gap, just wondering
if this would be possible and make it keep the vacum ??

Maybe it wont be needed after I fit the extra pains and the noise
reduction would be enough, but allways looking for a project

Any ideas on makeing this work would be nice

Thanks.

Also any thought son the 4mm plexiglass and how much noise youthink it
would block and if it would block high freqenecy or low frequencys
better.

Thanks.

IIRC, in sound studios and such, they put in two layers of glass but
don't put them parallel. By putting them in at an angle to each
other, it reduces the sound transmission.

Posted to alt.home.repair

No noise Please. wrote:
I was thinking of putting some Plexiglass pains into my existing
windows, they have the room for them, just measured and I can easily
fit a 4mm pain of flexiglass on the outside.

I know If i add a pain it will block more noise, but to make it work
better you would have to take the air out of the gap, just wondering
if this would be possible and make it keep the vacum ??

Maybe it wont be needed after I fit the extra pains and the noise
reduction would be enough, but allways looking for a project

Any ideas on makeing this work would be nice

Thanks.

Also any thought son the 4mm plexiglass and how much noise youthink
it would block and if it would block high freqenecy or low
frequencys better.

I have no idea how much noise it would block but even if it delivered
total silence I wouldn't do it because it scratches very easily. Even
just washing it will get it scratched up. If you just gotta add
another pane, use glass.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

No noise Please. wrote in message

I was thinking of putting some Plexiglass pains into my existing
windows, they have the room for them, just measured and I can easily
fit a 4mm pain of flexiglass on the outside.

I know If i add a pain it will block more noise, but to make it work
better you would have to take the air out of the gap, just wondering
if this would be possible and make it keep the vacum ??

Maybe it wont be needed after I fit the extra pains and the noise
reduction would be enough, but allways looking for a project

Any ideas on makeing this work would be nice

Thanks.

Also any thought son the 4mm plexiglass and how much noise youthink it
would block and if it would block high freqenecy or low frequencys
better.

Thanks.

What is causing all the noise?
--
Jim

"I like this opera crowd. They make me feel tough".

Posted to alt.home.repair

No Noise PLEASE wrote in message

Birds, cars, trains people, cicardas, I just want some quiet

Thanks.

I relate, but I can't say the birds or insects bother me yet. Cars and my
neighbor's stereo can get on my nerves. I'm going to change out all my
windows.

Good luck,

Jim