Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installing toilet flange on tile floor

I'm a bit perplexed as to how to install a toilet flange on a tile
floor. I bought a flange that will fit inside the pipe coming out of the
floor. The problem is I have to cut the pipe. I can only think of using
a hacksaw but that will still leave at least 1/4 inch of pipe raised
above the floor. The flange also has a bit of a taper to it on the
inside where it will meet the pipe which will raise it an additional 1/4
inch. Any advice?
Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Nov 10, 10:43 pm, "Mike E. Fullerton" inforequ...@spam-killer-
remove-techie.com wrote:
I'm a bit perplexed as to how to install a toilet flange on a tile
floor. I bought a flange that will fit inside the pipe coming out of the
floor. The problem is I have to cut the pipe. I can only think of using
a hacksaw but that will still leave at least 1/4 inch of pipe raised
above the floor. The flange also has a bit of a taper to it on the
inside where it will meet the pipe which will raise it an additional 1/4
inch. Any advice?

Redo the pipe if it is abs cut it further back in the basement and
redo it back up to the flange, then use hub flange[ type that goe's
over pipe] as it will give you full opening, Spigot type shrink
opening and lead to pluged toilets. If on concrete chip some of the
concrete away from the edge of pipe to do the same thing get flange
level with floor quarter of inch above or below floor hieght max.

Posted to alt.home.repair

remove-techie.com wrote:
I'm a bit perplexed as to how to install a toilet flange on a tile
floor. I bought a flange that will fit inside the pipe coming out of the
floor. The problem is I have to cut the pipe. I can only think of using
a hacksaw but that will still leave at least 1/4 inch of pipe raised
above the floor. The flange also has a bit of a taper to it on the
inside where it will meet the pipe which will raise it an additional 1/4
inch. Any advice?

Redo the pipe if it is abs cut it further back in the basement and
redo it back up to the flange, then use hub flange[ type that goe's
over pipe] as it will give you full opening, Spigot type shrink
opening and lead to pluged toilets. If on concrete chip some of the
concrete away from the edge of pipe to do the same thing get flange
level with floor quarter of inch above or below floor hieght max.

Most toilets can accomodate a flange that sits a little bit above the
floor. If you look on the bottom of your toilet, its recessed in at
least 1/2"-1". Before you do extra work, cut the pipe, put the flange
over it, and try out the toilet. If the toilet is sitting flush with
the floor, you good. I have done a few toilets this way.
By the way what kind of pipe is coming up through the floor? Lead,
cast iron, PVC?

Posted to alt.home.repair

remove-techie.com wrote:
I'm a bit perplexed as to how to install a toilet flange on a tile
floor. I bought a flange that will fit inside the pipe coming out of the
floor. The problem is I have to cut the pipe. I can only think of using
a hacksaw but that will still leave at least 1/4 inch of pipe raised
above the floor. The flange also has a bit of a taper to it on the
inside where it will meet the pipe which will raise it an additional 1/4
inch. Any advice?

Redo the pipe if it is abs cut it further back in the basement and
redo it back up to the flange, then use hub flange[ type that goe's
over pipe] as it will give you full opening, Spigot type shrink
opening and lead to pluged toilets. If on concrete chip some of the
concrete away from the edge of pipe to do the same thing get flange
level with floor quarter of inch above or below floor hieght max.

I forgot to mention this bathroom is in the basement. To use a hub
flange I'm going to have to chip out the tile as well as the cement
around the pipe. If so shouldn't the plumber have put the hub flange in
before I tiled? He put the pipe in.

Most toilets can accomodate a flange that sits a little bit above the
floor. If you look on the bottom of your toilet, its recessed in at
least 1/2"-1". Before you do extra work, cut the pipe, put the flange
over it, and try out the toilet. If the toilet is sitting flush with
the floor, you good. I have done a few toilets this way.
By the way what kind of pipe is coming up through the floor? Lead,
cast iron, PVC?

The pipe is PVC.

Thanks both of you for the help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike,

I'm a bit perplexed as to how to install a toilet flange on a tile
floor. I bought a flange that will fit inside the pipe coming out
of the floor. The problem is I have to cut the pipe. I can only
think of using a hacksaw but that will still leave at least 1/4
inch of pipe raised above the floor. The flange also has a bit of a
taper to it on the inside where it will meet the pipe which will
raise it an additional 1/4 inch. Any advice?

I forgot to mention this bathroom is in the basement. To use a hub
flange I'm going to have to chip out the tile as well as the cement
around the pipe. If so shouldn't the plumber have put the hub flange
in before I tiled? He put the pipe in.

The pipe is PVC.

When I plumbed our house, I installed threaded adapters in the line below
the toilet. Then once the floor was finished, I marked where the pipe
needed to be cut, and unscrewed the pipe. I then took it out and cut it
to the length I needed, and screwed it back into place. It was simple to
install the flange after that. You could do the same thing with a Fernco
style adapter if you have access under the floor.

In your case, it sounds like the PVC pipe is cast into the concrete
floor. If it's a 4" pipe, you should be fine with the type of flange that
fits inside the pipe. If it's a 3" pipe, I would use the flange that fits
over the outside of the pipe to ensure maximum flow.

Do you have a rotary tool? If so, I would think you could mark the
desired height around the inside of the pipe, then "Carefully" use a
cutting wheel to cut the pipe to the desired height. It'll be slow hard
work, but it's the only option I can think of at the moment.

If you need to use a flange that fits over the pipe, you'll need to chip
or cut the concrete or tile away to make room for the flange. It doesn't
necessarily have to be pretty, as the toilet will cover the area. Just
don't chip so much away that the toilet flange has nothing to rest on.
Maybe use a masonry or tile bit to drill a series of holes around the
pipe and clean up the loose pieces with a chisel and shop vac.

Good luck,

Anthony