Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need kitchen cabinet hollow dimensions on the bottom

Part of my kitchen reno job was to take out a wall and re-route a heat
duct that had been in that wall. I was going to run it between the
floor joists in the basement and up through the floor underneath one
of my kitchen cabinets, and out the front similiar to a kick space
heater. It's actually a 36"X36" lazy susan. I don't have the cabinets
yet , but I wanted to at least rough in the ductwork before laying my
tile down. My question is are these cabinets pretty much hollow on the
bottom? Or are there supports at various locations?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
Part of my kitchen reno job was to take out a wall and re-route a
heat duct that had been in that wall. I was going to run it between
the floor joists in the basement and up through the floor
underneath one of my kitchen cabinets, and out the front similiar
to a kick space heater. It's actually a 36"X36" lazy susan. I
don't have the cabinets yet , but I wanted to at least rough in the
ductwork before laying my tile down. My question is are these
cabinets pretty much hollow on the bottom? Or are there supports at
various locations?

No supports, just anti-gravity devices

The sides of each cabinet touchs the floor as does the vertical in the
back of the kick space. Possibly the back of the cabinet too. There
*could* be other pieces but they are not usual.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair
JB JB is offline

On Nov 9, 4:45 am, Mikepier wrote:
Part of my kitchen reno job was to take out a wall and re-route a heat
duct that had been in that wall. I was going to run it between the
floor joists in the basement and up through the floor underneath one
of my kitchen cabinets, and out the front similiar to a kick space
heater. It's actually a 36"X36" lazy susan. I don't have the cabinets
yet , but I wanted to at least rough in the ductwork before laying my
tile down. My question is are these cabinets pretty much hollow on the
bottom? Or are there supports at various locations?

I am about ready to do the exact same job. Are the low-height ducts,
reducers, and grille used under a cab standard stuff at HD or Lowes?
Or did you have to go someplace special to find them??

--Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 9, 8:29 am, JB wrote:
On Nov 9, 4:45 am, Mikepier wrote:

Part of my kitchen reno job was to take out a wall and re-route a heat
duct that had been in that wall. I was going to run it between the
floor joists in the basement and up through the floor underneath one
of my kitchen cabinets, and out the front similiar to a kick space
heater. It's actually a 36"X36" lazy susan. I don't have the cabinets
yet , but I wanted to at least rough in the ductwork before laying my
tile down. My question is are these cabinets pretty much hollow on the
bottom? Or are there supports at various locations?

I am about ready to do the exact same job. Are the low-height ducts,
reducers, and grille used under a cab standard stuff at HD or Lowes?
Or did you have to go someplace special to find them??

--Jeff

I am basically running a 6 in round duct between my floor joists and
using a 90 deg elbow going up where it will meet with a 3X10 90 deg
adapter. Lowes or HD has the ductwork as well as the grilles.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JB JB is offline

On Nov 9, 10:20 am, Mikepier wrote:
On Nov 9, 8:29 am, JB wrote:

[...]

adapter. Lowes or HD has the ductwork as well as the grilles.- Hide quoted text -

THanks. Have you considered moving the ductwork over to another joist
channel and putting in a floor register? That way you don't have to
hack up the cab's kick plate.

--Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

Could you use the bottom shelf of the cabinet as the top of a duct. Put a
louver in the kickplate. Mate to existing duct system somehow. So what if
it leaks a little it is supposed to go into the kitchen anyway.

"Mikepier" wrote in message
ups.com...
Part of my kitchen reno job was to take out a wall and re-route a heat
duct that had been in that wall. I was going to run it between the
floor joists in the basement and up through the floor underneath one
of my kitchen cabinets, and out the front similiar to a kick space
heater. It's actually a 36"X36" lazy susan. I don't have the cabinets
yet , but I wanted to at least rough in the ductwork before laying my
tile down. My question is are these cabinets pretty much hollow on the
bottom? Or are there supports at various locations?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 9, 6:32 pm, "Jeff" wrote:
Could you use the bottom shelf of the cabinet as the top of a duct. Put a
louver in the kickplate. Mate to existing duct system somehow. So what if
it leaks a little it is supposed to go into the kitchen anyway.

I guess if you line the bottom of the shelf with sheet metal, I don't
see why not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 9, 8:31 pm, Mikepier wrote:
On Nov 9, 6:32 pm, "Jeff" wrote: Could you use the bottom shelf of the cabinet as the top of a duct. Put a
louver in the kickplate. Mate to existing duct system somehow. So what if
it leaks a little it is supposed to go into the kitchen anyway.

I guess if you line the bottom of the shelf with sheet metal, I don't
see why not.

You know, now that I did another search, thats what some people do,
they just simply run the duct through the floor, and the open cavity
at the bottom of the cabinet becomes the plenum, no other ductwork,
just install a grill at the kick plate.
My only concern doing this is that if you use the same ductwork for
heat/AC, will it cause damage to the cabinet from hot and cold air
blowing on it, especially in the summer. Condensation might form from
the a/c.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JB JB is offline

On Nov 10, 5:54 am, Mikepier wrote:
You know, now that I did another search, thats what some people do,
they just simply run the duct through the floor, and the open cavity
at the bottom of the cabinet becomes the plenum, no other ductwork,
just install a grill at the kick plate.
My only concern doing this is that if you use the same ductwork for
heat/AC, will it cause damage to the cabinet from hot and cold air
blowing on it, especially in the summer. Condensation might form from
the a/c.

Did you ever resolve this? I like the idea of using the bottom of the
cab as plenum but what about condensation?

--Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

c.

Did you ever resolve this? I like the idea of using the bottom of the
cab as plenum but what about condensation?

--Jeff

I'm waiting for the cabinets to come in so I can make exact
measurents.
From what people say, they don't have any issues with condensation, so

I'm going to try it.