Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question about Comfortglow gas heater from DESA Tech. Do you have one like these?

Hi.

I have an older model of this kind and I have no clue how much it
would cost me to operate this thing during the winter.

I called a DESA technican who told me that if I run it at its maximum
I would use 29.133 cubic foot per hour. A woman of my gas company
wrote me that a cubic feet gas per hour costs in my area 0.27 cents.

Good grief, that would mean that I use USD 7.87 per hour when I
operate this heater? Can this be?

I checked the information on the heater. It says nothing about ccf but
BTU. It says that operated at maximum it the heater would use 30,000
BTU. But I have no clue what BTU means.

What do you say?

Leo

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 9, 3:56 am, Tom Lachance wrote:
wrote:
Hi.

I have an older model of this kind and I have no clue how much it
would cost me to operate this thing during the winter.

I called a DESA technican who told me that if I run it at its maximum
I would use 29.133 cubic foot per hour. A woman of my gas company
wrote me that a cubic feet gas per hour costs in my area 0.27 cents.

Good grief, that would mean that I use USD 7.87 per hour when I
operate this heater? Can this be?

I checked the information on the heater. It says nothing about ccf but
BTU. It says that operated at maximum it the heater would use 30,000
BTU. But I have no clue what BTU means.

What do you say?

Leo

Propane or Natural Gas?
There's 90,000(=/-) BTU's in a gallon of propane. That's about 3 hours
per gallon.

Hi Tom,

It is natural gas.

Leo

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9 Nov., 16:00, Clark wrote:
wrote in news:1194584110.472959.196040
@k35g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

Hi.

I have an older model of this kind and I have no clue how much it
would cost me to operate this thing during the winter.

I called a DESA technican who told me that if I run it at its maximum
I would use 29.133 cubic foot per hour. A woman of my gas company
wrote me that a cubic feet gas per hour costs in my area 0.27 cents.

Good grief, that would mean that I use USD 7.87 per hour when I
operate this heater? Can this be?

I checked the information on the heater. It says nothing about ccf but
BTU. It says that operated at maximum it the heater would use 30,000
BTU. But I have no clue what BTU means.

What do you say?

That gas price looks suspicious. Find your gas bill and divide the number of
therms used by the cost. That'll give you an estimate of the gas price on a
per therm basis. It won't be quite right because there usually are fixed
costs included on a bill. A therm is 100,000 BTUs or about 100 CF.

Is that enough info to help you do the math? Are you really paying ~27
$/therm? As a comparison I used 22 therms and paid $23 last month.

--
---
there should be a "sig" here

Thanks, Clark. I think that technican who gave me the gas price was a
weirdo. I think your calculation is more real.

If my heater uses 300,000 BTU on maximum per hour (and I likely will
not operate it on maximum all the time, probably only to heat up an
area briefly), I used then three therms, I guess.

I have now to figure out how much a therm will cost me. Thanks, Clark,
I know more than before. Have a good weekend.

Leo

water heater question miamicuse Home Repair 5 December 26th 05 07:08 PM
A/C Heater Question AJ Home Repair 9 November 23rd 05 10:50 AM
Gas Heater Question Bob G Home Repair 1 October 21st 05 12:22 PM
Robin lee, tech question Slowhand Woodworking 8 January 10th 05 08:46 PM
heater btu question Joe C. Woodworking 21 December 16th 04 12:14 AM