Posted to alt.home.repair

Default checking floor for being level

From what I read, laminate flooring manufacturers want a floor within
3/16-inch across 20'. What tool can I use across a floor to determine how
level it is? A 4' level doesn't do much good.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"J" wrote in message
From what I read, laminate flooring manufacturers want a floor within
3/16-inch across 20'. What tool can I use across a floor to determine how
level it is? A 4' level doesn't do much good.

Thanks.

I've never used this kind of thing, but here's an idea:
http://www.komar.org/projects/crawlspace/laser-level/

Posted to alt.home.repair

J wrote:
From what I read, laminate flooring manufacturers want a floor within
3/16-inch across 20'. What tool can I use across a floor to
determine how level it is? A 4' level doesn't do much good.

Thanks.

Marble?

Posted to alt.home.repair

J wrote:
From what I read, laminate flooring manufacturers want a floor within
3/16-inch across 20'. What tool can I use across a floor to
determine how level it is? A 4' level doesn't do much good.

"HeyBub" wrote in message

Marble?

A whole bag of marbles is better, strewn everywhere on
the floor. If they tend to roll together, this probably
indicates a low spot.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Phillipson wrote:
From what I read, laminate flooring manufacturers want a floor within

"HeyBub" wrote in message

Marble?

A whole bag of marbles is better, strewn everywhere on
the floor. If they tend to roll together, this probably
indicates a low spot.

Use a bag of marbles (or bearings) that are 3/16 of an inch in diameter -
you can then go to the edge of the room and place your head on the floor
(facing the conflagration of marbles) and if you see any, then you're good
to go!

- Rodger

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
J wrote:
From what I read, laminate flooring manufacturers want a floor within
3/16-inch across 20'. What tool can I use across a floor to
determine how level it is? A 4' level doesn't do much good.

Thanks.

Marble?

No, laminate - not tile.

- Rodger

;0)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 8, 5:07 pm, "J" wrote:
From what I read, laminate flooring manufacturers want a floor within
3/16-inch across 20'. What tool can I use across a floor to determine how
level it is? A 4' level doesn't do much good.

Thanks.

I had this same question several weeks back. I found two things
useful - 1) check the straightness of several 8-10' studs (12 or 16
would be even better) at the hardware store with a string. Hold the
string to one end/corner and taughtly pull it to the other end (having
a friend helps). Find the straightest one you can, and then take it
home and use it all over to find high or low spots. Sure you look
weird at the store, but it's the cheapest level you can buy for this
purpose. 2) fill a 5-gal bucket of water and pour it out slowly all
over the floor. It will pool in certain places. These are the areas
you'll need to fill with floor leveling compound. Just measure the
depth of the water. If it's less than 3/16, you're fine. If you
notice areas where the water goes away from, you may need to use more
leveling compound to "build up" the floor to keep the high points from
sticking more than 3/16th up.

Incidentally the second method wouldn't work for me, since my entire
basement floor slopes toward one corner where the sump pit is. Even
though the entire floor is fairly "flat" it is not really "level".
Therefore all my water ran down toward the sump pump and i just had to
clean it up without finding anything out. But, considering flatness
is what I really care about (for flooring also), my flat, un-level
floor is actually fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Nov 8, 5:07 pm, "J" wrote:
From what I read, laminate flooring manufacturers want a floor within
[...]

Uh, in all seriousness, why not use a taught snap line (or 20' piece of
string) and stretch it across the sub floor in various areas? Hold it up
3/16ths at either end and if it touches anywhere... If it doesn't touch
anywhere, drop it to the floor and if the floor drops below the line,
measure the drop.

- Rodger
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

I used an aluminums straight edge that was made for cutting plywood. Laid on
the floor it is easy to find high spots that may need belt sanding down and
low spots that need filler to get it level. I also used the same straight
edge to scrape the filler flat with the surrounding areas. Despite problems
with a join between the original house and an addition, I managed to get the
floor quite flat. I had a ridge over the original foundation wall with a
1/2" deep low spot next to it. Used some plywood filler strips to fill the
deepest to avoid using solid floor leveller compound.

"Rodger" wrote in message
wrote:
On Nov 8, 5:07 pm, "J" wrote:
From what I read, laminate flooring manufacturers want a floor within
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rodger" wrote in message

Uh, in all seriousness, why not use a taught snap line (or 20' piece of
string) and stretch it across the sub floor in various areas? Hold it up
3/16ths at either end and if it touches anywhere... If it doesn't touch
anywhere, drop it to the floor and if the floor drops below the line,
measure the drop.

- Rodger

Exactly might thought. The simplest possible way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

J wrote:
From what I read, laminate flooring manufacturers want a floor
within 3/16-inch across 20'. What tool can I use across a floor to
determine how level it is? A 4' level doesn't do much good.

Thanks.

Clear plastic tube filled with water.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Floor not level F UK diy 6 August 19th 07 01:02 PM
laser level for checking joist? peter Home Repair 4 March 6th 07 11:23 PM
Floor tiling - making up for uneven floor level. Mark S. UK diy 3 August 11th 06 10:17 AM
Level floor before Kiltz or after? Colbyt Home Repair 4 February 16th 05 12:18 AM
what to use to level floor by 10-15mm [email protected] UK diy 14 May 22nd 04 10:04 PM