Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fluorescent lighting conversion

Hello, can anyone tip me on how I can easily convert battery backed-up
office fluorescent lighting that are on non-switched circuits to
become normal fluorescent lighting on switched circuits? Will it work
if I just disconnect the lighting from the battery, and rewire the
fixture to a switched circuit?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 8, 4:55 pm, "Joseph Meehan" wrote:
Are they 120V fixtures running on a 120V AC circuit powered by battery
power or are they designed to run on DC or a non standard AC current?

ps.com...

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

They are just normal fluorescent lighting that you see in most
offices. These have batteries in them and are on all the time. They
are mainly used to provide normal office lighting, with the benefit of
being ON should the there be a power failure. They are AC powered.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 8, 8:22 pm, " wrote:
On Nov 8, 4:55 pm, "Joseph Meehan" wrote:

Are they 120V fixtures running on a 120V AC circuit powered by battery
power or are they designed to run on DC or a non standard AC current?

wrote in message

ups.com...

Hello, can anyone tip me on how I can easily convert battery backed-up
office fluorescent lighting that are on non-switched circuits to
become normal fluorescent lighting on switched circuits? Will it work
if I just disconnect the lighting from the battery, and rewire the
fixture to a switched circuit?

Thanks

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

They are just normal fluorescent lighting that you see in most
offices. These have batteries in them and are on all the time. They
are mainly used to provide normal office lighting, with the benefit of
being ON should the there be a power failure. They are AC powered.- Hide quoted text -

"They are just normal fluorescent lighting that you see in most
offices."

I beg to differ. They may *look* like "normal fluorescent lighting
that you see in most offices" but I don't think that "normal
fluorescent lighting that you see in most offices" have batteries.

Most offices will have fixtures that are "always on", not because they
contain batteries, but because they are on unswitched circuits for
safety reasons. If every other or every third fixture stays on all the
time, then the office area will never be completely dark, even in the
dead of night. The employee-accessible switches won't turn them off,
but the circuit breaker or a power failure will.

Power failures are usually handled by power-monitoring fixtures that
have self-contained or remote batteries. These fixtures are *off* when
the incoming power is present but if the monitoring circuitry senses
the loss of power, a relay will deenergize and the batteries will take
over.

I guess it's possible that the fixtures you speak of could be one and
the same - i.e. always on via AC power yet also backed up by
batteries, but in my experience, that would not be normal. If that is
the case, then my guess is that if you modified these to be switched
and disconnected batteries, then you would lose both your "nightlight"
feature and your power failure lighting feature. If that fits your
application...go for it!

fluorescent lighting bad for you?? sparty Home Repair 17 April 11th 06 12:28 AM
Fluorescent lighting Rumble UK diy 0 February 7th 06 05:19 PM
Fluorescent lighting Mike Harrison UK diy 0 February 7th 06 04:29 PM
Fluorescent lighting Sponix UK diy 0 February 7th 06 03:27 PM
fluorescent lighting stuart noble UK diy 17 October 15th 04 10:25 PM